Do you own a watch? What is it? Why did you choose that? how much?

Please answer above questions and let me know what you think of smart watches like apple’s iWatch thx.

lame. get a nice watch.

jaeger lecoultre is a solid maker

Yes. It’s a watch. I needed a watch. Pretty bad.

‘A watch’? Try several. Lots of different brands. Mostly under $1000 until my birthday present to myself. Because I’m a nutcase. None interest me except the Moto360, it’s the only one that actually looks like a watch and I like the possibility of using different displays to replicate a real watch.

I don’t own a watch, and I think buying an expensive watch is a waste of money.

But I would consider an iWatch under $500.

Long AAPL. I guess we’ll see if AAPL still sells “commodity products” that aren’t “cool anymore” and if they’re still “losing ground” to Samsung.

You are doing some kind of market research? To answer your questions anyway, I own a very embarassingly expensive watch from a stereotypical brand starting with R. It’s neither a Datejust nor is it a stainless steel model. Other than that, it probably doesn’t matter.

I like to say that this reflects personal uniqueness and individual tastes, but really, I probably own this because of male insecurity and since I like shiny things. Also, at some point, I felt that it was important for me to make an extravagant luxury purchase to signify certain life milestones, particularly related to personal wealth. Otherwise, I would be tempted to make an even more irresponsible purchase, like a Porsche, which I want.

I am open to the idea of smart watches, but I do not have a need for such a device, since I already have smart phone and iPad, and since I always have access to computers at home and at work.

Saw this article the other day and wanted to add it:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/watches-wall-streets-biggest-players-155653015.html

Basically, watches of a few BSDs.

Another quality Ohai post. Keep it up, “broder”.

I own a Mickey Mouse pocket watch.

It was a gift.

Oh to answer op question, I wear a seiko my mom gave me like 15+ years ago. I like it because it has the date (which I never remember), and it has a chronograph, so I can time my french press coffee (when I used to drink it).

I wouldn’t ever buy a smart watch. Seems like a pain to recharge and keep up with. What benefit does it have over taking the smartphone out? The screen will be tiny anyways.

not really a big fan of watches so I’m juss curious to see people’s take on the issue. particularly individuals that own watches worth less than $1k. And I am getting the picture that individuals who do own watches basically own it for other reasons other than its ability to tell time. anyways thx all.

I have a Tag Aquaracer because a closing Bloomingdales made a mistake and put it 60% off and my wife made me buy it. They had moved all of the “good” watches to other stores before they began discounting, but an employee apparently hid it in the hopes of buying it at a steeper discount.

Anyway, it’s lame for all the reasons that Ohai gave, only less cool because Tag is a Rolex for poor people.

Nobody has any firm details on the Apple iWatch/iTime/iWhatever yet, but the only one that I think looks promising is the Moto 360. Since a watch is a fashion accessory, “cool” is paramount. I don’t think Apple has the cache that it once did.

yes. Garmin 910xt. because I swim, bike, and run and am a data driven dork. ~$350. no view on iwatch until I see the features.

Another watch thread?

Personally, I cannot see the fascination with expensive watches.

My wife just got a $20 watch from Amazon. She said that she preferred a $60 watch, but didn’t want to spend the money on it. I told her that she should have gotten it; she said that she’s already scratched the crystal on her $20 watch.

I used to scratch the crystal on my wristwatch all the time, so I would put it in my pocket. After a while, I decided that, given that I had a de facto pocket watch, I should at least get a _ real _ pocket watch. Once the horses arrived, that, too, went by the wayside.

yes, omega seamaster, with brown aligator strap, prob £3.5k. It looked nice. Although i’m thinking about a baum and mercier clifton as my next watch.

I like the post from s2000magician whose wife bought a $20 watch but originally wanted to shoot for $60. thisi s really good… dude, take a couple thousands and go buy your wife a decent gift for birthday. fear not your balance sheet! ever heard of unscratchable sapphire crystal?

amazing, that some people are proud to have spent only $10 for a watch, but at the same time spend $900 for a new iphone which will be crap in 2 years.

anyway, I believe that real men do not camp in front of an apple store for a new iphone 6.

wearing a watch which you can afford, but do not “need” to afford has nothing to do with concealing or compensating male insecurity, but rather showing a positive self-esteem.

anyone who doesnt give a crap about his apperance (I am not talking about painting nails and stying hair for half an hour) is a geek. and watches are a part of this.

I own an Omega Aqua Terra Seamaster, see (http://www.ablogtowatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Omega-Aqua-Terra-Chronograph-GMT-7.jpg)

I own a Certina DS Action Diver Chronograph with blue dial (see http://www.rruegger.ch/images/basel_2014/certina_1.jpg)

I own a designer watch of slow (see https://www.slow-watches.com)

One day, perhaps a Rolex Cosmograph Daytona Platinum (see http://www.ablogtowatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Rolex-Daytona-Platinum-watch-6.jpg)

Your appearance does not change whether you wear an Omega or a Timex. At least mine doesn’t. Plus, an iPhone has more beauty and usefulness than some dumb JLC or Patek that an insecure twat buys for his self-esteem.

OTOH, I would LOVE to invest in a firm like JLC or Vacheron, or better yet, Rolex. Rolex is great at selling a mass-produced product for very high prices to people with money, it has major brand value, a loyal customer base, and excellent pricing power. With a customer base of insecure men with lots of money to burn who want to show off their status, it would be awesome.

Richemont brands is a Swiss co with many big names