Do you own a watch? What is it? Why did you choose that? how much?

My thoughts exactly. I see one in every forum unless this thread was moved several times.

Ever hear of an Arabian horse? She’d rather spend a few thousand on one than on a silly adornment. That’s what we did last year.

Anyone who thinks that not wearing an expensive watch is a sign that one doesn’t care about his appearance is myopic, and anyone who thinks that an expensive watch is necessary for a good appearance is a fop.

Despite my bashing of watches…I think the Rolex Cellini series looks niiiiiice. Way better than their other watches.

yeah, right, a “dumb” Patek … excellent example dude! good luck stock picking…

Oo…did I hurt your feelings?

a few thousands on an Arabian? pls dont tell me she went cheap even on this… :slight_smile:

misunderstanding… I believe that anyone who boasts about having bought a $20 watch in a forum thread labelled “what watches do you own” does not give a crap about his appearance. true?

no, I dont believe that an expensive watch is necessary … ignoring that expensive is fairly relative, I believe that a $20 watch on a CFA charterholder’s wrist will make his clients forget about his outstanding investment performance…

no, because you were not mean to my favorite brands :slight_smile: but seriously. … if you call Patek dumb, you may not be successful with your investments in the long run…

I know what Patek is, and it’s great if you are a watch enthusiast and you are into these things, but not all “real men” are, nor is it something that must be important to everybody.

The funny thing is, whenever these watches are brought up, everyone with a complex comes out and tells us how they’re irrelevant, dated, pretensious and arrogant. They then proceed to tell us why they would never spend more than X dollars on a watch because at the end of the day it’s a outdated way of telling time.

I have never once heard someone with an expensive watch habit telling the X dollar guy how to spend their money. Everyone acknowledges that it is expensive, luxury spending that is NOT an investment, and a poor addiction to have. In 90% of cases, we have the X dollars guy telling them how they’re wasting their money. And now we have a new instance where horses are brought into the argument - which in my mind is the next level of bourgeois-ing.

Really? Just go read a few posts above. “dude, take a couple thousands and go buy your wife a decent gift for birthday” “anyone who doesnt give a crap about his apperance (I am not talking about painting nails and stying hair for half an hour) is a geek. and watches are a part of this.”

I assume that it’s true.

That is, I assume that your statement that _ you believe _ such a person doesn’t care about his appearance is true.

I don’t believe that the statement that such a person doesn’t care about his appearance is true.

And, to be clear, I didn’t post this in a thread labelled “what watches do you own”. I posted it in a thread titled, " Do you own a watch? What is it? Why did you choose that? how much?" It seemed that owning _ any _ watch qualified me to answer the questions posed in the title.

You’ve evidently been exposed to amazingly shallow clients.

My clients care about my performance, not my watch.

Never been a watch person.

I had a plastic watch in 7th grade and everyone made fun of it “nice watch dude”, ruined watches for me for life…

Did you ever go back and thank them?

Does seem like a blessing, it’s a pointless waste of money.

Perhaps one day they will have a serious iphone-like watch, with speech recognition, and ability to execute trades on my behalf, and all sorts of cool shit. At that time I will reconsider…

^ They might have saved you thousands of dollars, compounded over several decades.

“They” meaning watches? How can spending money on a watch save one money?

The bullies at your HS.

Ah got it, it’s morning no coffee yet.

I do like nice looking watches, but how expensive they are has never been particularly important to me.

Admittedly, some of the $10k+ watches do look very nice, but I don’t think they are so much of an improvement over some watches in the $100-$500 range that it’s worth running around with one all the time.

I have multiple watches, some from gifts, some I bought myself because I got a good price on them. My most expensive is the same R brand that ohai refers to, though the model I wear is a special edition that’s less everyday than most Rs. I also have a Movado that I got as a gift at the start of college and a Raymond Weil that I bought for about 30% of retail price. The ones I bought, I got because I liked them and could afford it and it wasn’t a big deal.