Uber in India

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-30374070

It happened again!

A GPS enabled app that documents you financially, geographically, and legally to your assaillant. Of all the dumb ways to commit a crime, this has to be the dumbest.

That country is just culturally messed up…

Isn’t it a bit extreme that India banned Uber following this incident? I’m sure a small number of normal Indian taxi drivers partake in recreational rape in moderate quantities.

*Yawn*.

This shit just annoys me now especially since it seems to be plastered in American and British Media. Let’s not focus on the fact that those countries lead the world in sexual assault statistcs and underreporting is still a massive favor for a so called ‘civilized’ nation, no way…let’s focus on the ‘savages’. Let’s just close our eyes and ignore the fact that when accounted for population said country in firmly mid table for sexual assault.

Me thinks the gloves are coming off for different reasons entirely.

This is fucking hilarious coming from a nationality who’se only culture seems to be eating garbage and shooting random people apart from roofie-ing women as some sort of national past time and one where the bloody president has had to start a campaign to control it.

Someone is getting strangely sensitive about this story. Sounds pretty suspicious if you ask me. Suspicous like a rapist…

So women in India are discouraged from reporting rapes? That’s my takeaway…

Boop!

Oh boy if you honestly believe in the craptistics you just posted then good luck mate. Have fun living in a rape-free safe India. Ignorance and denial are serious epidemics in that part of the world…

A Yank talking about denial? Priceless.

Wrong. Sexual assault remains a crime with extermely high stigma across the world with un-reported rates in the USA remaining sky high which are reflected here among various other places.

Leaving aside the highly dubious methods of these “unreported” rape statistics, where is the comparable survey for India? Are you seriously suggesting that Indian women are as or more likely to claim that they were raped because they had otherwise consensual sex while drunk?

LOL.

I read post #4 without seeing the name, but as soon as I read it I knew it had to be Zidhai

It’s a difficult one as any stats on rape are likely to be bullshit but otherwise what are you basing your view on? A hunch, something you read in the paper?

My view is that it’s a global problem but much more of an issue in the developing world.

and seriously, has nobody called it yet?

Let’s assume the US is the rape capital of the world and we abuse our women as a normal part of everyday life. Does that mean everyone should ignore rape and abuse in the rest of the world?

Yeah, I love this logic. Don’t address the issue at hand, but deflect and turn the attention elsewhere. Sounds like something someone would do that doesn’t want to face their own problems.

+1

Ha Ha, it could have been the other Korean dude, alpha something?

You would, the Americans are masters at it.

A nation leading the world in sexual assualts and under reporting and still not having managed to move beyond victim shaming trying to decipher the obviously complex topic of rape in another country. Sounds like turning attention elsewhere and not wanting to face their own problems.

Finally the article is so inaccurate it doesn’t even state the correct reason why Uber was banned. The company was banned because the vehicles had cross country permits and were not licensed to provide taxi services within the city. What a non-story.

“Yeah, I love this logic. Don’t address the issue at hand, but deflect and turn the attention elsewhere. Sounds like something someone would do that doesn’t want to face their own problems.”

Completely agree. Let us not deflect attention to a third world country, from now on we will discuss why US is the rape capital of the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sati_(practice

India lol…

Presumably, where that chart is concerned, it’s because the US just has the most people. The US has 33 times the population of Sweden, for instance. So, based on this chart, we would be apt to conclude that Swedes rape around twice as many people on average than US people.

Among the countries on that chart, the US also has the highest tradition of free speech, and is fairly progressive when it comes to women’s rights. Without supporting evidence, it would not be logical to propose that rapes in India or Colombia are more likely to be reported than rapes in the US.

Some countries, like Germany, do show less reported rape per capita than the US. Germany is likely to experience a lower frequency of rape reporting, given the inclination of Germans towards personal privacy, as opposed to free speech. It would not be surprising if Germany also has a lower rate of actual rape per capita, since all the women there look like German women.

Where “developing” countries like India are concerned - it is not unfair to generalize that these countries lag the developing world in many aspects - economics, personal freedom, safety, or infrastructure. Ignoring such issues as rape will only hinder the convergence of these developing countries with more advanced ones.