CFA Average Salary

This is not about what is the average salary, although reading the numbers on numerous sites starting with something like “the average certified financial analyst makes…”, instead, this is a statement to request those who have the CFA, demand your worth. Those making less than 100k, wtf. Not to be insensitive, but you are bringing down the average figures at which employees use when negotiating. Not that i want to unionize per se, but please do not work for less than what you should be making. thank you - future union leader

A lot of it depends on the regional demand/supply of charterholders. For where I live, the charter is just your cost of entry and has marginal weight in salary discussions. I know many charterholders who make less than me (and I aint no BSD…) and much less than 100K.

Just because you passed a series of tests should not mean you deserve a six figure salary? Finance and capitalism is a meritocracy, not just qualification.

OP, is that a serious post?

The aggregated CFA number is meaningless. The only thing that matters is the average number by job function. Any employer who tries to negotiate with aggregated number is either greedy or an idiot or both. I would consider that an extremely dangerous lack of IQ for anyone in an investment role.

I think you just need to make 100x the average and skew the number upwards. Imagine the chicks you will get also.

^ Yes, +1 to Bro’s post.

Probably not the spiritual ones he likes :slight_smile:

Whoa. Thanks for sharing. I just got negotiated a raise from $30k to 95k. I better call the boss and tell him that I either need another $5k or I need to revoke my charter–thus sayeth the union.

Not a bad negotiation.

mo money mo problems geenie. i’d give it back if i were you.

Fck all this noise. I’m going to write to the CFAI and demand that in addition to the experience, and references after passing L3, that they implement a verification of compensation (via paystubs, W2s, and 1040) in order to use the letters. These CFAs working in the call centers of Mumbai are fkin’ it all up for us!

^ Just properly applying the 4 year experience standard would eliminate much of this nonsense. In developed markets, very few financial pros with >4 years investment decision making experience and a professional designation are sub-$100k.

Greenman, you realize this means that the guys were screwing you over? Weren’t you getting paid like $70k before? So they are like, “here’s a 50% raise”, and you are like “I want 130% raise”. Then they are like “sure why not”. Basically, it means they were paying you a pittance relative to what they were actually willing to pay for your work.

Greenman thats an unreal negotiation. Well done.

To Ohai’s point, they must have been paying you like dirt before hand though.

^That was hyperbole, guys. Not to be taken literally. Yeah, I do think I’m somewhat underpaid, at least in terms of salary. ($60k, and no discernible bonus yet.)

But on the other hand, I get to take off whenever I want, and the boss never asks me any questions. I’m in jeans, sneakers, and an untucked polo shirt right now. I’m about to go to the gym for two hours during the middle of the workday. I came in 15 minutes late today, and I’ll probably take off half an hour early so I can go to the cleaners and get a haircut. I didn’t work on Monday, because I had to watch the kids while my MIL (Mother-In-Law) was out-of-town. (She usually watches my kids during the week.

I have no sales quotas, no work quotas, no office cops or Nazis, no stupid rules to put up with, and I’m certainly not overworked. (At least not during the offseason.) So I’d say I have it pretty good.

You using MS Excel yet? Or is the boss sticking with the greensheets?

what city do you live in? you’re in TX right?

^New York City. 123 Sesame Street, to be precise.

Left that job about a year ago. Thank God. I couldn’t handle the 4-column paper crap anymore.

$100 is not the same in Houston as it is in NYC. Perhaps you should demand a cost adjusted average salary?

Also, hillarious people though Greenie was serious despite making an average of six figures :slight_smile: