The Big Short

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgqG3ITMv1Q&feature=youtu.be

looks decent

not bad

Patrick Bateman -------------> Michael Burry???

Comes out today! I was just recently relistening to my audio version. I can’t wait to see Gosling’s Lippman, Bale’s Burry and Carell’s Eisman!!! Movie has great review so far.

I’m guessing the caption here is “HOW ARE YOU GOING TO F*** US!”

Will be in German cinemas on January 14th, I´m planning to read the book before during the holidays!

I read the book. Good read, but I don’t recall anything mindshattering.

Maybe this will **again** give the average joe some sense of how markets function and also provide entertainment value with great actors. I’ll see it - looks entertaining.

The only reason I am going to watch it.

Looks like AF stretched that picture. The aspect ratio is giving me a headache.

I’m guessing, “WTF are you doing with our money!?!”

pretty damn good movie. Patrick Bateman deserves an Oscar for his portrayal of that weirdo Burry.

Saw this last week and had a good time with it. I also liked the book.

When Margot Robbie luxuriated in a bubble bath while explaining something finance / subprime mortgage related, it’s a good thing I knew what she was talking about, because I had no idea WTF she was saying. Except that she was saying it with an Australian accent.

yea i thought it was entertaining. conveniently glossed over the govt’s roll in the meltdown but that is to be expected.

Why couldn’t Hollywood be original for once and have Christian Bale in that tub?

Loved it; but i was just reading “Hidden in Plain Sight” and the movie definitely glossed over the governments’ role in all this. I also, got hit with “isn’t that like working?” from my dad since everyone else was watching star wars except me…

No clue about this scene but if you want to see some nude Christian Bale just watch American Psycho

I like how they made the Lippman inspired character comic relief… I’m sure the real Lippman loved that :slight_smile: Bathroom scene and jinga scene had me LOL even though I was watching the movie alone. Ryan Gosling… I officially forgive you for “the notebook”.

Christian Bale was amazing. The awkwardness was even more palpable than in the book. side note: lets see Bale as batman in that tub… don’t really want to see him as burry in there!

Carell was cast to perfection. The whole movie was cast extremely well. I’m such a dork… Im seeing it again Friday :slight_smile:

They only glossed over the govt. role because that wasn’t the focus of the book. We already know about that side of things from “to big to fail” and others. The book/ movie focused more on the whole ponsi scheme type fraud which ended in the long side of credit defaul swaps being rolled into yet more CDOs… that vicious cycle of crap …I didn’t know about that!

^non-finance people like my wife, brother in law and sister in law have no clue what the govt’s role was. so they get a glazed look when i try to explain why government involvement in the economy is so detrimental. they are all going to vote for hillary and their incumbant congressmen…you know because they look out for the little people. their programs turn to shit because of wall street greed, don’t ya know.

While the govt had a large role as well lets not act like poor old wall street is getting unfairly blamed either. They deserve every bit of blame they get, and the governemtn should (and does) get theirs as well. Your blanket statement of “govt involvement in anything ever is bad” doesnt belong here.

Good movie…good acting…great Margot Robbie scene…decent amount of info so average joes could learn about CDOs, credit default swaps, etc. Overall, well made.

The movie glossed over a lot of things. One of those being the problem of “regulatory caputure” of the SEC. In my own opinion, the role of the SEC and rating agencies was one of the most criminal. I thought the scene with the woman at the rating agency and she was wearing blackout shades… brilliant.

I mean, If wall street is a zoo… we would hope the animals would be cordial on their own accord. However, it is a zoo and the animal’s feral nature is what makes them the most effective enhabitants. If the zoo melts down, sure it sucks that the animal start running wild, but who is more at fault? I blame the zoo keepers first.

One of the sickening turns in the plot is where we learn that the protagonist’s failure to first nail down just who was taking the long end of their short ends up making them part of the problem. They too were motivated by greed/ self interest. Do you blame them… that’s their job. Where where the regulators?

(regulatory capture)… http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/536/the-secret-recordings-of-carmen-segarra