In-Law Drama

What are the holidays without a bit of in-law family drama!

I get a call from my wife that my sister in-law and bro in-law don’t want to speak/see us for awhile over something we did during Thanksgiving. They didn’t provide an explanation, not returning text or phone calls. My father in-law is played middle man by delivering the message to us that they will not be seeing us for a bit.

My wife has contacted both of them but got no response. Now my wife wants me to get involved and contact the bro-inlaw to figure out what’s going on. Frankly, I’m tired of the games they play and they are constantly cutting people off and speaking to them again once they are ready.

What is the best approach on my part? I know I should pick-up the phone but something inside me knows this will not change or solve anything .

Advice?

If you really have no idea what you did that irritated them, tell them that whatever slights they felt were not intentional, you’re puzzled about what went wrong, and you would like very much to work it out so you can be on friendly terms again.

Since you can’t call them, and they likely aren’t opening your emails, you may need to send them a letter by traditional mail, perhaps with some kind of gift basket or something.

That is, of course, if repairing things is a high priority. You may just want to let them brood and come back to you when they’re ready.

Sounds like they have the maturity level of a 10 year old. Just wait them out.

Do your brother and sister in law live deep in Connecticut and own those dogs with the long hair and very long snout? I am getting this mental image from this snubbing story.

+1.

I know that I would not be crestfallen if I couldn’t talk to my in-laws, especially if they behave like this. Certainly wouldn’t be sending them gift baskets.

You could ask Dear Abby. Tell us what she says.

Yea this is ridiculous. I really cant see a more immature way to handle something. Why handle your issues like an adult when you can act like a baby.

I think you and your wife just need to make clear to the FIL that you have no clue whats going on and will wait for them to let you know what, in their opinion, you did wrong. I dont understand this whole passive aggressive nonsense. If you have a problem with someone, deal with it.

+2

These people sound legitimately awful and full of themselves and you should enjoy the freedom. I laughed out loud at “the message to us that they will not be seeing us for a bit”. Ohhh the humanity!

(Of course if you were blackout drunk and can’t remember peeing on their floor or something then I take it back.)

you need to rain hellfire down on these petulant losers. shake their foundations or this will happen again and again until you die. whatever you do, don’t offer any sort of apology or gift offering without knowing what the supposed slight was. they need to konw homie don’t play that and they should grow the fuck up if they want to be in your life.

Thanks all for the feedback. I agree with most of you and quite frankly I really don’t like spending my freetime with these people. No one was black-out drunk or did any other offense that would cause someone to not want to speak with that person. My wife and I talked about this situation and were shocked to hear about this since we both taught Thanksgiving was rather quite successful.

I’m going to speak with my FIL later today and see if he can provide any info.

I have an idea what it might be and if its what I think it is I’m going to lose my sh!t at how minor it is.

Ignore them. Playing their games enables their weirdo behaviour. Like a misbehaved child, often ignoring them ends the problem.

Reach out, claim the high road, and tell them any offense was unintentional. Twice.

After that you have the moral high ground, the rest is for their 9 year old selves to figure out.

You *could* be mature and adopt a reconciliary approach. Or… you could film a 5 minute rap video where you insult all aspects of their personalities, appearance, education, and the manner in which they raise their children. There is a good way to address some problems, and there is an even better way.

Afghan hounds, btw, was the dog I was thinking about.

The best part of the story is how dad has to be the communicator, like “I have been told to inform you that X is not speaking to you”.

Ohai,

My bro-inlaw was the one that even called my FIL to tell us. I have no respect for this guy after today.

I’ll keep you guys posted after I call him today! :slight_smile:

Any adult who is sending smoke signals through their parents should be ignored and later ridiculed severely in a public forum. If you really have no idea what you have done, then the best and only course of action is to do nothing and wait for them to grow a pair. Until then, you should send dick pics to your sister-in-law because that will definitely smooth things over and build a foundation of goodwill for the future.

It is odd that your father in law can’t tell you what they think you did. It’s easy enough for him to say “This is what they think, and for what it’s worth I (agree or disagree) with them; you should try to work it out, X tends to work with my daughter.”

Maybe the BIL didnt tell the FIL what exactly it was either?

dafuq is this shit. you need to tell your FIL to go over there and tell them to grow up.

if that doesnt work, send them dog poop by mail

or this…https://shipyourenemiesglitter.com/product/The-Do-Not-Eat-Cupcake-39

“ship your enemies glitter”… actual internet start up, people

can you send a flaming bag of dog poop by mail? if so, USPS has found their niche. profitable by 2016!

?