True or false?

If you’re male, the shorter you are, the more likely you are to be a gym rat.

false. while there is a notable contingent of short overcompensators, there is a much larger contingent of short nerds.

Are nerds below average height as a group? I haven’t noticed a correlation

What is short?

Below median. But we are talking across the scale.

Whats the median in the USA these days?

69.7 inches The average male American mens height is 177 cm , which is 69.7 inches , which is approximately 5 foot – 10 inches tall. (for white males*). What brings up the question, OP? Resentment?

Are you familiar with the many search engines available? I’ll suggest duckduckgo.com because I like the name.

Seems high. Resentment? I’m 75". Just see all these little thick guys running around. I think of their little hearts trying to pump blood through all that muscle. Is an arrhythmia the goal?

Somewhat unrelated but I’m average or slightly below (5’9 to 5’10) and when I was doing some stuff related to the Marine’s delayed entrance program (long story) I felt tall in comparison to most of the cohort. When I go to NYC I feel like a midget.

I think the gym thing isn’t really that correlated. Athletes tend to be taller and develop good training habits when they’re younger in sports that carry into later life, so you see a lot of 6ft+ people in the gym.

5’10 is average. Also, I’m not sure that the science behind your heart health vs stockiness is really sound, the claim that a lot of time in the gym necessarily equates to a stocky build is questionable too.

Alternately, being a thin built endurance athlete (or simply tall) is actually much harder on your heart. When the whole ultra marathon craze was going on I was part of the bandwagon and then the articles started popping up showing 1) ultra racing was leading to a lot of cases of enlarged hearts (bad thing) and 2) endurance racing was causing buildup of heart plaque with both leading to a much higher risk of heart attack. So despite being able to run 100 miles, many of these competitors were at much higher risk than couch potatos. Additionally the large amount of lactic acid and waste from muscle breakdown was straining the liver so runners that took ibuprofen occasionally went into renal failure and had to be put on dialisis.

So… yes. Thanks.

Right, out of proportion defined triceps, a duck walk, and thick necks are no indication of being a gym rat. Thickening of the heart walls increases the risk of arrythmia. Not disputed. The harder the heart has to work, primarily under rest for most people, the more likely the heart muscle will change. I would think extreme endurance racing would not be too good either.

Sorry, don’t follow. Mustn’t have the horsepower.

You could just as easily be thin and tall and a gym rat if you were focused on cardio routines. So to my point, a thick build alone doesn’t indicate being a gym rat. Some people are just naturally built that way, a friend of mine owns a crossfit gym and is the senior trainer there. He’s in phenomenal shape, eats his proteins and all but has never been able to put on a pound of weight despite his best efforts, still very skinny, it’s just his genetics. That being said, workouts generally lower blood pressure under rest (ergo causing less work under rest). So I think you’re flawed in your reasoning.

Anyhow, I gotta side with LTJ on this one. You seem very bitter about being a lanky waif. But if you work hard and develop a positive attitude, you will see results. Maybe ask one of them for training tips and advice on how to meet girls, they’ll probably take pity on you and oblige. If that fails, just understand that different people have different body types and it may be hard for you to add mass, so developing a more positive self image may be the trick.

Ghibli the tadpole?

[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kbSfFFEvxw]

My point is from the get go it seemed pretty obvious you are bitter or resentful about something with this topic, likely not being as jacked as shorter dudes.

It was clear as day from your tone that you were a taller guy, but the second I asked about resentment you misinterpreted it and had to let everyone know how tall you actually are. Because… god forbid, right?

Hacksaw comes in many forms, and this is definitely one of them. But at least a hacksaw is shredded.

I think it’s true to some extend as the OP is strictly talking about “gym rats”, not regular people just looking to stay healthy and in shape. I know plenty of dudes who are constantly in the gym and they are all pretty short or ‘deficient’ in one way or another.

I’m actually ten pounds above where I want to be. The sports i participate in do not take kindly to extra weight in any form. Heart health is the main reason. Ten pounds on my frame doesn’t look much different dressed. Done a lot of reading on the subject. Extra weight, whether fat or muscle, not good for the heart.

Not much doubt the answer is true. I imagine if you’re short, it’s not as obvious. And tall guys are probably softer on average. They pull chicks either way.