Garage Gyms

Yours truly bought a house. 1% baby, bow plebes. Hubris aside, I was walking home and my next door neighbor has this sweet garage gym setup equipped with a power rack, pull up back, kettle bells, rings, row machine, and some slam balls. I look to replicate his setup, albeit with a few ammendments such as atlas stones (my favorites) and an airdyne bike (or similar). Has anyone created a similar room?

I have.What do you want ?Congrats on the house BTW

I’ve got a room in my basement with power rack, rower and a trainer for my bike. All you need. I’ve got a decent TV in there too.

A pullup bar ,some kettlebells and a battle rope is what I need.+ a barbell and some bumper plates.

I’m looking for ideas for:

mats - specifically designed to take the impact of some heavy weight (i.e if im cleaning and i just drop the bumpers, if i dead, if i drop a stone)

Powerracks: i’m look at the ones that fold into the wall

most importantly, because i too am a pauper in denial, deals that can save me $$ beyond looking at offerup or craigslist.

I have a similar setup to Geo. I can tell you this – you will spend untold hours researching power racks, and it can actually be very stressful. I’m telling you now, invest in the Rogue RML-690 and be done. I have already thought through every issue or add-on desire you could contemplate. They can even do a custom cutdown if you call them, in case you’re dealing with limited ceiling clearance in your garage or basement.

EDIT: Disregard if you are looking for a fold-up model. I posted before seeing your last comment. But, still check out Rogue as they have some of the nastiest racks and rigs on the market.

Where’d you buy?

Rogue? Their website and then they ship it to you.

I was going to recommend Rogue Fitness too. Haven’t done it yet, but it’s on my to do list for hte basement next year.

Except I’m only going with the RML 390 or something that size.

Haha sorry… I was talking to wyg regarding the house, I know he is in the Boston area too.

The 390 is a beast too. I went with the 690 because of the extra step-in room in back of the cage, as well as the integrated weight rack. Definitely Monster Lite series. Monster is awesome, but the Monster Lite cages have the most accessories if you want to build out down the line (things like dip bars, landmine attachments, etc.).

Also, something that should not be overlooked is that the Monster Lite and Monsters don’t need to be bolted down. This is different than some of their lighter racks. I would not want to anchor these things into concrete if I could avoid it.

As for the mats, go over to Tractor Supply Co. and get yourself some horse stall mats. Read the reviews on their website. It’s all garage gym people, not farmers.

Yeah, but I’m poor so that’s a factor and because I’m poor space is another factor.

@DoW- Do you have any experience with squat racks which have pull up bars at the top ? I am talking about rouge models specifically. Do you have to bolt them down ? The rennovating processes at my house is finished so I’ll be moving pretty soon, but wanted to get a squat rack for the garage beforehand.

Stay away from onnit.

SCB, do you mean the monkey bar pull-up bar or the regular fat/skinny straight bars? My rack has the latter and I do pull-ups/chin-ups on that thing and it’s solid as a rock with no bolt-down. I also have the matador attachment for dips hanging off the side and I fire off dips on that thing with barely a wobble, and I’m not exactly a small guy.

Out of interest, is this in addition to or instead of going to the gym?

Gringo – If you set this up correctly, there’s really nothing you could do at the gym that you couldn’t do in your garage gym. Buy an FID bench, and you can do flat/incline/decline benches, as well as seated military presses. Squats. Deads. Bent-over barbell rows with safeties. I could go on. In short, this was to replace my gym membership. Not out of cost – like WYG, I just don’t have the luxury of time anymore so I brought the gym to me.

Itj - Savin Hill

*I’m in the city -blessed to have a garage - but its on the smaller end so ill have to be very strategic on what i purchase. Ideally i’d like to lift there 3x a week (just complex stuff) and train at a mma gym 2 or 3 days a week. With that said, I belong to a bsc for $30 a month and love the views there, specifically and the end of my workout and stretching.

as much as i like rogan, it is a bit too expensive

I havfe to look at chicks in spandex while working out so the idea of having a home gym is out the window.