Hillary on NAFTA: http://tinyurl.com/zbykonz

To get an endorsement from UAW, Hillary told them she would renegotiate NAFTA. Two changes she are proposing are 1) get more cars made in US from Mexico, and 2) close channels for Chinese imports. Basically, the same as what Trump said.

Sigh, this is a bit of a disappointment. The reason that center people would reject Trump is not because of his personality (Hillary is no better) or social policies (basically none), but because of his protectionism. If Hillary proposes the same things, some voters will switch over.

^doesn’t she reject TPP too? Something the current administration worked 8 years towards

Yes, she was among a contingent of democrats who raised token objection to the deal.

Can’t win is you support NAFTA or TPP, Trump would crush her in the debates on those topics. It’s hard to explain how in a macro sense these deals will help US workers but there will be some pain in entrenched constituents in a 30 sound bite. The sad part is they both probably deep down know that these deals are basically the best we can do giving our bargaining power.

What the hell is wrong with Republicans now? Now they are against corporations seeking the most efficient (cheapest) way of producing goods?! So now we are going to bring back those industries and consumers will be faced with higher priced sub-par goods.

^Are there any disadvantages to the most efficient system? How does globalization affect economic stability? Would slower growth be okay if a shock to the system was less catastrophic?

^^that’s an old fashioned view, Ricardo theory is flawed and proven inconsistent.

It’s kind of a trick question. Republican politicians are generally pro trade. However, stupid GOP voters chose isolationist Trump, having only paid attention to his personality, and his positions on immigration and national security. Now, Republican politicians must smile through their teeth and pretend to like Trump, because at least to them, he is still better than Hillary.

Well, if all of one type of life saving medicine ends up being produced on one island because they are the most efficient, I would say that’s a greater risk. No fancy theory needed.

Which island is this?

long island

I’m for free trade, free movement of labor and markets that produce a product at the cheapest rate should produce those products! Now Republicans are isolationist. Looks like the Republican party moves further away from me.

TPP actually contained some intellectual property terms - I guess to protect US drug and media companies from genericization and piracy. Some protectionism like this is probably necessary to maintain those industries.

Trump was inconsistent in his criticism of TPP, actually. He said the agreement was unfair to US workers, as it made it easier to move activity abroad. Then he criticized the intellectual property part, because… ? (he didn’t actually say). Basically he just wanted to criticize the whole thing.

^ HAHAH. “Basically he just wanted to criticize the whole thing”. +1

I just can’t vote for Trump. He isn’t a Republican.

externalities kill the reasoning behind this. Free trade isn’t fair when countries need to adhere to different standards (i.e pollution, wages / children, and government subsidies). This school of thought is rather naive.

the island of misfit toys

I’ve pretty much accepted the fact that Hillary will be the next president, so I guess it is somewhat cool to be part of a period of history where Germany, UK, and US will all have a female head of state at the same time.

#feelthejohnson

The US already does all it can to negotiate trade deals that benefit US interests. Nothing Trump can do will improve upon this. Same goes for Iran deal etc. Trump can only continue status quo. To believe Trump is to misunderstand how policy and government work.

The US already bullies the world into deals they do not want to enter into, and they call that “foreign relations”. That’s why their reputation is so bad, and why the world is working to cut them out of the loop. Obama was better than W Bush at least. But as the US continues to fail, people like Trump will push for increasingly immoral practices, which will push the world to further alley up against them.