Aerobic vs Anaerobic

I work out around 6 times a week with sessions focused on KB,Bodyweight, Battle ropes type of stuff and other sessions devoted primarily to running and enjoying the solitude. I run long distance at least once a week to challenge my body but I also make sure to include sprint intervals in my running days,but most people that I see or talk to only run very long distances. Is there some sort of obsession with this form of running ? What is wrong with doing heavy intervals of sprinting and walking to catch your breath ?

different people have different goals

99.999999999% of people just want to work on their endurance ?

I personally think sprinting intervals will give you a better bang out of your buck for your entire body and optimize hormone levels.

^Nobody runs just to run. What are you trying to accomplish?

Have to be really secure to sprint. Everybody points and laughs. No matter how fit you are, you are a reminder of the fat kid in gym class. Looks really out of place on a public path. I think it is probably better for us, as you said. I’m beginning to think just walking with intermittent sprinting is the way to go.

It does look out of place.I have been running at least 3 times a week on this path and never have I seen anyone but myself who sprints and walks.I think it’s much more beneficial to go with sprinting than running a slow and steady pace.

It does look out of place.I have been running at least 3 times a week on this path and never have I seen anyone but myself who sprints and walks.I think it’s much more beneficial to go with sprinting than running a slow and steady pace.

Mainly staying in shape and enjoying the therapeutic benefits of running.

Mainly staying in shape and enjoying the therapeutic benefits of running.

^Is it impossible stay in shape by using only long, slow runs?

Is it impossible to enjoy the therapeutic benefits of long, slow runs?

Or, like ACE said…different strokes for different folks.

Interestingly, given I fingered through The Black Swan recently, Taleb walks 15 hours a week, around NYC I believe, with very infrequent sprints thrown in. He claims he walks at a pace so slow that he forgets he is even walking. Apparently, his blood work and vitals went back to normal after adopting this routine. No changes to his diet. Said his doctors were shocked. He believes this the “natural state” for humans. We wandered around for thousands of years with the ocassional need to sprint.

test levels do decline with long distance running. If you want to have a sexless life, then go run a half marathon.

Squats, deadlifts, hill sprints, and 400s are the way to go.

^I think early humans were more of walkers/sprinters than long-distance runners.If a wild animal chased you,or if you were chasing prey you would be sprinting and walking .Jogging is something made by humans as a form of exercise IMO .Also, there are a lot of studies done on the hormone response of sprinting vs jogging where sprinting wins hands down. I am not in the mood for copying and pasting the links but a little Google search is beneficial.

I think HGH will also decline with endurance sports.The good thing is most benefits of long distance is still enjoyed by interval sprinting .

waiting for Turd to chime in here with Primal Blueprint

I think it depends on ethnicity. All those Kenyan guys win marathons because their ancestors, living in the open space, would jog after animals until the animal ran out of endurance. The people who live in jungles or mountains might be different.

I did sprint/jog intervals for 8-10km 3-4 times a week for about a year a couple years back when I was in Qatar. It was a good way to pass time after work. I lost a lot of muscle mass though (diet sucked - I wasn’t eating enough). Sometimes I’d come home from the run and go straight to bed without dinner. I went from a bit heavy (170 lb at 5’'7) to skinny as hell (my lowest was 140 lbs). Running kind of got boring after a while. Plus the desert heat was pretty rough during summer so I had to stop. Started lifting weights last year after I moved back to the states. Eating more than I need to and making some natty newbie gainz.

Actually, no. Humans unique physical ability is to be able to continue to stalk for very long distances. It is because we are bipedal. You are not catching a deer with a sprint.

I might give a try under the cover of darkness. I normally run 3.5 miles. 7 and a half minute pace. Finally got back in shape after a foot injury(not running related ). What would you recommend? Just sprint until out of breath. Walk a bunch. Do it again? How far in total?

I primarily run just so I can snow ski the way I want. Constant laps over Bell Mountain on Aspen for example. Only rest being the gondola. I wonder if this walk/sprint could maintain my endurance sufficiently.