The Wikileaks Thread

There is an historic, fascinating drama playing out as we sit here. More than 10,000 podesta emails have been dumped. The U.S. responded through Equador and Assange threatened to dump his insurance files. Now Fox News just reported Assange will be arrested within hours. Why would they do this? The insurance files are supposedly game enders.

Crazy how the networks barely mention it.

Per /r/The_Donald readers they were 100% certain yesterday when internet access was cut Obama & Clinton put the hit in for Assange so I was assuming he would be dead right now because those people are quite astute.

I like Assange but its pretty evident here he is playing cards for the russians, wonder what he gets out of it. Might be he owes them one for Snowden, might be otherwise. I enjoy what Assange stands for but he seems to crave far too much attention, we need self sacrificing individuals like Snowden not self serving individuals like Assange. If you havent seen Citizen Four I strongly suggest it Snowden is so ridiculously smart and such a good person. That said I will always stand for free speech, I would just prefer the releases be done with some discretion as they did with their earlier releases. Snowden felt that a dump of info was dangerous and wanted others to parse the information to take out his own biases and avoid blowback on innocents.

I would like to see whats in Assanges insurance files though, could be interesting. He is in the elon musk school of over promising though the entire DNC email dump hasnt been nearly as big as the headlines they are pumping out.

because as of now its mainly conspiracy theories

So UK police are going to storm the Ecuadorian embassy and arrest him? Won’t EU agreements require them to then turn him over to Swedish authorities, as the warrant for his arrest is still outstanding?

^Isn’t invading an embassy an act of war?

But that would hurt the conspiracy!

Unless prosecutors take legal action citing Wikileaks documents as evidence these leaks are pretty much useless and just a media tool. You can always shrug them off and say wasn’t me.

I believe so. If Hillary has the power to make the UK declare war on Ecuador though, maybe she should be president. Rumor does have it that the Ecuadorians have grown tired of housing Mr. Assange, so maybe they plan to just give him up. They did release a statement recently (maybe yesterday) though indicating that the reasons for his asylum remain in effect, so would be kind of strange to give him up after that.

Yea I agree, its mainly just been embarrassing stuff so far but there is the possibility for worse. I think this is what the inner workings of politics really looks likes. Id imagine any other major campaign would looks very very similar.

As far as the media being a tank, I am not sure its that as much as the campaign & DNC staff being pretty deft and knowing who to talk to and what strings to pull. Same as the way Trump/repubs use Fox & right wing sites. Its been obvious for well over a decade that MSNBC was way left, Fox way right but CNN is certainly more left than it used to be (but the site is so crappy who can use it?) BBC/Reuters is the way to go for news anyway.

You can support something in theory without wanting to actually physically support it. I can imagine having Assange there is a pretty big PITA that gives relatively little to Ecuador for what they have to do.

Oh, good. I didn’t want to have to read anything on my own anyway. I’ll just wait for the MSM to tell me what’s important.

The dude has been there 4 years though, so why give him up now? I think the whole arrest thing is BS.

Its certainly the more likely scenario. Could be Assange trying to drum up interest since people dont seem to care about this dump as it has been a bit disappointing. Maybe if he tells everyone the govt wants to shut him up and is coming to get him people will care again!

Yes, although I think it would actually be a political nightmare for democrats. Let’s not forget that Trump was immediately compared to Hitler and Stalin for saying he would appoint a special prosecutor to investigate Hillary. It would pretty hard to arrest Assange right now and not have it look like the government using its law enforcement assets for political reasons. I think it’s far more likely that Assange created the rumor to draw more attention to himself as mentioned by Yayyywork. If I remember correctly, the Brits dropped their surveillance of the embassy sometime last year because of the costs, so Assange probably could have been moved out of the embassy and flown to Ecuador with relatively low risk. I suspect he refused to go because the story of him living freely in Ecuador isn’t quite as much a martyr story as being “imprisoned” in the embassy.