Doorman tips (again)

So right away on December 1st, I got the polite holiday card from my building staff, which is also a checklist of people to pay off at the end of the year. The thing is - I moved to a much larger building this year and there are much more staff. So how does this work in terms of payout? Can I divide the same amount by the larger number of people? Because, I am thinking that there are over 300 units altogether. That is going to add up for them.

I don’t participate. My charitable dollars go to those in need, not those we pay well and provide health insurance. My ten grand a year in fees is plenty. That’s quite a bit given my zipcode.

Same amount just more checks.

I thought I was out of this living in the burb until I found out I have to tip the garbage men.

What? I’ve lived in the burbs my entire life and have never heard of anyone tipping the garbage men. Most people tip the mail deliverer person if they’ve had the same one for a while, but no one else that I’ve ever heard of.

United States is a beggar society, I say give them nothing.

Amount I have received from begging/donations/tips in my life: $0 USD.

^ Sorry to hear that your parents didn’t love you.

i think a seiko for each person should be fine.

Sorry, not special snowflake generation.

I think you defy generational labels, but there’s no question that you’re special.

Not true, there’s a dip stick in every generation that has to ruin it for everyone.

Bwahaha. That’s true. cool

When i had doormen - back when i was living in NY - the xmas tip was all contingent on my poker earnings leading up the days before. I had one pyscho ex that would show up and try and convince my girl (at the time) that i was sleeping with her and my doormen were great at not letting her in. They would also let me use the roofdeck post hours and allowing private parties during this time. For this, i would give no less than $100 each to my main three guys, and one year i gave them all 500 each (some drunk asian dumped a lot of cash drunk one night at a 2/5 game at 200 water ((was that you PA?)).

fuck, I’m supposed to tip those guys as well? Where does it end?

^when you become so poor from tipping that you become one of them.

I’m always suspicious of service employees, since I don’t know if they are nice because they like me, or because it is just part of their job. Not sure if KMD likes anyone here either, to be honest, since her job is being nice to rich douchebags.

Would you decide you shouldn’t tip them if you discovered they just happened to be nice people? Why just tip the assh*les. Don’t make “being an ass” profitable.

What do you mean? Tip is customary, and generally, you would tip based on service, regardless of the person’s motivation.

Right. So why does it matter whether a service person is being nice to you vs being nice to you in hopes of a good tip. Why be distrustful of their motives. Does it matter?

I think you are reading too much into this…

Perhaps. But you were the one who said that you are always suspicious of service employees because you don’t know if they are nice because they like you or if it is just part of their job.

What is the right amount to read into this statement, exactly?

• We shouldn’t tip because then we would get true information about their underlying niceness?
  • We should tip because that means their innate niceness becomes irrelevant to us, only the quality of their service?
  • We should tip based on the quality of their service, less a factor for their inherrent niceness (i.e. we should only have to tip based on the “excess niceness” required to meet our minimum expectations of service)
  • People should be nice whether they can expect a tip or not?
  • It’s just satisfying to be suspicious of people if there is an analytically defensible reason for it?