2013 Job Hunt

With bonuses rolling off shortly, how many of you guys are looking for new opportunities for the new year?

Well, that depends what my bonus is.

mine was in the dumpster…

^da fuck?

I think it’s always good to keep eyes open, but something good has to turn up, of course.

I’m not but we’re hiring some guys soon. It’s a pain to try to bring people on in the fourth quarter. No one will move because they want their bonuses first…which I completely understand. Just got to hope once they get their bonus they’re still motivated to move.

Searching…

You guys think its a bad idea to walk in and hand in your resume?

I’m looking at small shops …

I don’t plan to until after I attempt level 2/rewrite level 1 in June… that’ll also be my one year anniversary at this job and I have a small rule where I don’t leave a job for 12 months bar extreme circumstances. But I’m still keeping an eye out anyway, because I’m not exactly happy at this position.

I think I have to put more effort into moving in to something better as well. After the crisis and during the recession I was just happy to have something interesting and relevant to do. I think now it’s time to push harder for something better.

So, I’ll say this: if anyone here introduces me in to someone who’s able to offer something good that works out, I’ll happily give them 10% of my first year’s recieved comp (may need to be paid in installments). If they connect me with someone who connects me to someone (i.e. one step further removed from an offer), I’ll put in 5%. That could potentially be a nice chunk of change for someone who simply facilitates an introduction. (LPoulin, you put me back in touch with P.M. where you used to work, and I’ll include this intro if anything comes of it.)

If two people refer me to the same person, then the first introduction takes precedence, but people have to do something to facilitate the introduction meaningfully, not just throw out a list of names and then say “if you talk to any of these people, I’m coming to claim something from you.”

As for what I do: I analyze, I code/backtest, I write, I present, and I teach/train. Mostly macro, multi-country, and multi-asset class kinds of things, and I have some expertise in emerging market issues. I typically fit things like quantitative, macro, or em stragegist/analyst/economist type descriptions, and I like to pay a lot of attention to how portfolios are constructed and the risk/return these approaches offer. I produce a fair amount of copy on what the investment case is for certain strategies or approaches, why they do or don’t make sense, how they fit current and past market conditions, and I develop or refine portfolio processes.

A note on the ethics of what I’ve said here. A finders fee for introductions is not unethical, but a kickback is. So I can’t pay a hiring manager to hire me (that would be paying for preferential treatment), which spoils the fun if you happen to be someone who is hiring. If something moves forward beyond an introductory conversation, you should probably disclose this arrangement, and I will as well. A statement like “He said X, but I think he’d be worth talking to anyway” will do the trick, provided that you are sincere about it. I plan to say “You should contract me or not based on my merits and your needs, but for disclosure, you should know that I did offer a small portion of my first years’ comp to some people as a finder’s fee in order create better visibility for myself when I was looking.” (EDIT: This disclaimer isn’t necessary for the “introduce me to someone who introduces me to someone” situation)

^What kind of comp are you looking for?

I’m not actively looking, but am always amenable to broadening my network and hearing about potential opportunities. I’m currently an equity analyst at a long/short equity hedge fund in New York.

Well, it ultimately depends on the responsibilities and the job expectations, and more is always better. I seek to be fairly compensated, but I’m not a person driven by the need to die with the largest bank account.

The positions I see on BBG that fit my skills are generally in the 125k-300k range, depending on the firm. But I don’t fit the cookie cutter that recruiters and HR respond to, hence my offer here.

But, honestly, it probably wouldn’t take a huge comp to catch my interest. If it were satisfying work (understanding that every job has it’s crappy side) and not obnoxiously lowballed relative to the job responsibilities, you might be surprised what I’d consider.

I’m going full out job hunt blitz in March. I can’t stay in this no bonus Big 4 audit land any longer… I mainly do energy company auditing now, so I’m looking to stay energy related, either consulting, ER, or IB related to energy companies. I will have my CPA by then and have my Level 2 done, so I’m hoping that might be an interesting combination to an employer.

I patrol year-round my school’s career services and two recruiters have my resume. Check-in with them every six months or so to see if my comp threshold to jump is realistic, I’d rather stay here for the next four years and then GTFO for good. There are bridges that I would rather not burn.

Guys I am certainly looking for. Passed CFA L3; FRM certified. 10+ years of IT exp in Finance- supporting front office. Its hard to get an interview - anyone who can help? i am ready to intern and even prepared to get into an unpaid position. Areas of interest - IB, equity/ FI research etc… Any help appreciated

Why don’t you like IT?

I was sort of wondering why there’s so little competition for the job I’ve been interviewing for. I guess it makes sense that people are waiting for their bonuses before jumping ship. I’m willing to walk away from mine for the opportunity, but it’s definitely going to be painful (40% of salary). When one of the senior analysts on our team was hired, he asked our company to pay his bonus from the firm he was leaving and ended up getting it. Sounds risky though. Thoughts on this strategy?

If he brings serious value added skills, I wouldn’t see why not. It’s a NPV decision for your company.

I wonder why the hiring company doesn’t wait until after bonus season. Not only will they not have to buy out people, but some of their people might quit then too. Maybe they really need people.