Alternatives to pistol shooting

I get all nervous if I have a gun, constantly thinking I am going to do something stupid or somehow my chances of being involved in an incident will increase.I am planning to use the Airsoft inside my garage which is large enough for the range thing.The reason I mentioned the big yard was the sound will not be a heard by the neighbors. A bow is a whole different ball game, I like pistols though.

So basically I am looking for something that shoots straight and you can use inside a garage without a loud sound.Lots of kids in the neighborhood, I don’t wanna have their parents getting nervous on a “creep with a crossbow” no matter how farther he is, so it has to be used inside my garage.

Basing your whole zombie apocolaypse survival strategy on a two on one combat ratio is inherently flawed.

Besides, everyone knows that once you get level 50 Whirlwind, the poleaxe is the best weapon to use in terms of range and damage dealt and dealing with hordes. Nobody fears 1v1s against zombies. The biggest danger is clearly zombie hordes.

But as I mentioned, humans can use mobility and placement to isolate zombies for melee combat. Without strategic placement, no melee weapon would produce high survival rates against a large horde of zombies anyway. When confronted with overwhelming numbers, someone with a poleaxe would still probably be overcome by the mass of zombies and the physical requirements of such a weapon. Imagine 3 people in a row that you are trying to slice with a poleaxe. You cannot cleanly slice through all three. Your weapon would be lodged in the first person and could even get stuck, thus forcing you to abandon the weapon. Ignoring strategy and the cognitive advantage of humans, and instead relying on sheer force, would be a death sentence.

LOL

A nice calvary sabre would be my hand to hand with the zombie choice. Maneuverable, great at hacking off heads. A poleaxe is way too unweildy. Get ambushed in dense brush and your poleaxe is a liability. BS - I agree that ammo isn’t as much an issue if you’ve got a fixed base of operations, but if on the run, you can get more life out of arrows than ammo you can reasonably carry. I think… And a .22 would just sail through a zombie, a 4 blade broadhead has much more stopping power. Right through the zombie’s brain.

Katana Samurai Sword or hacksaw.Speaking of whick hacksaws have some uses …

They make hollow tip .22’s. That would be at least equal to an arrow. Even without a fixed base, you could easily carry 2000 rounds. Assuming you were for some reason on foot, you could scale that back to a few hundred and just shoot less. Still better than carrying a bow with maybe 10 arrows. If you have to shoot and flee even once or miss your target a few times or shoot at night you’re quickly going to lose your arrows. Not to mention the fact that a significant number of those arrows will break. You’re basically forced to constantly run towards where you’re shooting or return to the scene of the crime.

It’s just not practical and god forbid you run into gun toting humans after you, it’ll be how the west was won all over again.

Plus, if the zombies are I Am Legend zombies I definitely want a gun.

The katana gets lots of praise and is indeed very elegant, but the european longsword is also quite deadly and not clearly inferior. European Knights and Japanese Samurai were separated by continents and never faced each other in battle, but it’s not at all clear that 15th century samurai would prevail against 15th century knights in battle.

Samurai swordmaking continued to the late 19th century, and was revived (albeit via industrialized processes) in the 1930s and 40s, so there are some developments that happened since, but even so, longswords have a lot of advantages.

[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58NVoTocUOk]

Also, axes are a BSD’s real weapon, since they have near-zero defensive capabilities. It is not a weapon for a civilized age, but it is definitely one that alpha males like Patrick Bateman would go for.

[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhRCNLMzUMY]

The part at around 5:15 is what made me think of posting this video, but the whole sequence is fun.

What about a mace ? Super cool to crush skulls. You have to be strong as hell though.

A sword, machete, or axe should definitely be carried as an emergency close counters weapon. However, using one of these as a primary weapon would require the user to move close to the zombie, thus subjecting themselves to unnecessary risk. Remember - the goal is not to subject the zombie to maximum lethality, but to survive each encounter with minimum risk.

Furthermore, a refined weapon like a katana would require a lot of training to master, and would be expensive and time consuming to create or repair. A spear, on the other hand, can be little more than a sharpened pole. The secondary human (the one who actually kills the immobilized zombie) can employ a baseball bat, a weapon like a sword, or any other kind of suitable tool. Resource constraints of the post apocalyptic world would require maximum flexibility and improvisation. It would not be realistic to assume that someone in such a situation would even have access to a weapon of choice.

^A spear is a tall MOFO.It isn’t easy to carry around and the thrusting motion limits your maneuver (zombies don’t sense pain or are not subject to blood loss shock so taming them with a spear and waiting for your buddies to hack their heads off is not wise).A chainsaw would be decent or as mentioned before , for any unskilled but powerful person a mace is much better than a baseball bat.

You should probably take up the art of throwing an atlatl

I’d have to say optimal for me would be carbine and crowbar as backup. Crowbar is nice because using the blunt end would prevent it getting stuck in a zombie (getting stuck if you have more than one coming after you is a catastrophic failure). You can also use the pointy end if you need and it’s great for prying open doors and as a general tool.

Good call on the carbine/crowbar. You’d pick a carbine over a 12 gauge (SSG) though? I don’t think you need the range for zombies, and a semi auto 12 gauge could clear a room of zombies in short order. Need a tactical tomahawk as a backup as well.

Very Legit Combination.Also a flamethrower would be nice, the burning zombies would have a viral effect on each other , would stink like shit though.

12-TACTICAL-SURVIVAL-MULTI-TOOL-THROWING-AXE-HAMMER-BATTLE-Hatchet-Crow-Bar

What about something like this:

While I agree that firearms would be more effective than melee weapons in general, I must again point to the practical and improvisational necessities of the zombie scenario. It is not reasonable to expect large populations of people (let’s say the population of San Francisco) to be suddenly armed with automatic weapons. They will have to make use of available resources to improvise weapons. Until advanced stages, zombie combat will be a survival activity, not organized warfare. I could say that I want to drive a tank, as this would be better than a gun. However, most people will not have a tank. BS will certainly say “well, I have a gun”. Good for you, but most people don’t.

A chainsaw would not be a good choice for a melee weapon, as it requires fuel and maintenance. In addition, a chainsaw that is large enough to destroy human sized objects quickly would be quite heavy to walk around with. If your goal is to survive, endurance and mobility will matter more than actually killing zombies.

inevitably, zombies become less of a problem and the remaining humans become more of one.

weapon improvisation and trap setting will be key

Yeah, correct on the chainsaw.I would still prefer an axe/mace/both.At some point in this thread I think atush is going to jump in and mention how hard it is to find decent finance jobs in canada and why a CPA is better than CFA. In the process insulting the OP.