ATTN Boardmembers: Banning Transparancy

^ Look, things are pretty tame around here, as far as I’m concerned. Let’s not get too PC – I get enough of that at work. At some point, playing to the least common denominator in terms of being offensive only serves to water down the entire forum and drive away the posters that are really adding value/entertainment. The forum needs traffic to generate revenue.

I’m only half serious. I don’t expect someone to cater to my sensibilities if I’m in the minority. I’ll go read jezebel if my feelings get hurt.

Sometimes I am mildly amused at collective attitude towards women here though. I’m not appalled, I’m not disgusted, but it interests me that people with such vastly different opinions and attitude exist. I hope this doesn’t sound condescending or elitist–I don’t mean it that way at all, I really am just intrigued. I worked at a wm firm full of wannabe alpha males (only girl) and I felt like I was something toxic because light conversation died as soon as I walked in. I guess it’s something similar. It’s almost like going to a zoo and watching “men in their natural habitat” or something. Is that offensive? I hope not…

hahahahahhahaha

+1

I’ve always liked mixed gender groups, because it keeps me from having to experience that exhibit as well. It seems the presence of a few females makes the locker room nonsense grind to a halt.

Is that Windows 8 I’m seeing? Lol

There appears to be an assumption that women members (and non-women-objectifying male AFers) have no value to add, or that the ability to crap on women is so important to the alpha-douches that they would rather not contribute anything to the forum at all if they aren’t allowed to demand pics from any AFer who foolishly reveals that she’s female.

I do agree that it’s tamer than it could be, but I’m often worried about how slippery that slope is.

When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought that CvM wanted us to disallow transparency.

Sounds like an idea.

Look, I jumped straight from vista to W8 (I just bought a new laptop a month ago after I finally got sick of my 5+yo monster). I don’t really use my personal laptop much, but I don’t like it. Is there an easy legal way to downshift to windows 7?

I’d say you are stuck with it. Laptops can be finicky when changing OS’s as they are usually optimized for the ones they come installed with. Having said that, you could try installing a dual boot to test out a new OS.

To be clear, I am certainly not suggesting this. I am speaking of being too PC in general, without reference necessarily to the idea of the non-PC items that women may or may not find offensive. There’s plenty of non-PC stuff on the forum that is not related to “objectifying women,” but would still probably be considered offensive to the average person in general – male or female.

^theres also a clear line between being overly PC–which I agree can be tiresome–and objectifying women (which was the issue raised here). I saw a comment in a different thread referring to some women as cum buckets or deposits (I could quote it but too lazy). Putting some women, or any human, at the level equivalent to your toilet bowl is -not- okay.

Now I’m not on a jezebel crusade here. That would be like going to a beerfest and preaching on the sins of alcohol or something like that. Not that I’m implying that all men are women haters, but I hope you know what I mean. And I can’t speak for all women, obviously, but if you’re wondering why you might be alienating women, don’t you think when a lady walks into some conversation that seems to suggest that she exists for the sole purpose of being some deposit of -your- satisfaction, that might be a bit off putting?

there’s PC, and then there’s common decency. I might like raunchy jokes but I will throw looks loaded with disgust at the man jerking off in the middle of the street (which unfortunately seems to be a common occurrence…)

And by the way, how is objectifying women–or men–ever okay?

^ +1 I find many of the threads here pretty disgusting at times. That said, this isn’t that different from many finance shops. I’m not really surprised, this forum pretty accurately reflects the attitudes and opinions of the cross sections of finance I’ve been exposed to. Given the anonymity if the forum, I’m actually surprised its not worse. I wouldn’t suggest any changes, I’m not a fan of censorship. I just don’t participate when I feel things have crossed an unacceptable line. No one is forced to read anything here.

This.

How about creating a like and dislike buttons for both the topic and each individual response? Each person can like or dislike a single thread/response only once. Sufficient number of dislikes, for example 5, would automatically make the thread/response hidden. Not completely invisible, but it would say something like “This thread has been disliked 5 times. To unhide press here” This way people can make their own personal decision on whether to bite a bullet and read it.

What you said was at asking posters not to act as if women’s primary value is in their appearance and sexual availability (what you describe as “forcing people to be PC”) will drive away the posters who are “really adding value/entertainment”. Seems to me that that’s a fairly dramatic statement about how those who aren’t busy doing this aren’t really adding value, as well as an assumption that those who were adding value would cease to do so if they couldn’t make their comments about women.

Perhaps you want to change what you said, or clarify better.

As for other types of objectionable material, yes, here is other stuff too, but the stuff that is demeaning to women and female AFers comes up with much more consistency and at a much higher frequency.

Here’s a reminder of what you said:

bchad, my original comment was one suggesting we should all lighten up. I’m not going to get painted as the bad guy because I commented on something when this thread went in another direction. My intention is not to get in the middle of a specific battle on women vs. men, which is completely unwinnable and one that I have no vested interest in participating in.

My comment about playing to the least common denominator was applicable to any topic, and just happened to incite me to comment following the specific women vs. men topic. But all I am trying to say that there is always someone who is offended by something. Obviously as stewards of the content on this forum, you all will decide what the acceptable lines are, and I’m actually complimentary of the way in which you have historically defined these lines.

I saw that post too. To be fair, the guy who posted it is a dick in most threads. But it is still off putting to most sensible humans.

Your boy STL keeps suggesting that and no one will listen.

Just say what you we are all actually thinking. All the Board members are male. . .

You listened. Others listened. One day everyone will listen!

Also, this thread should be in the Feedback Forum.