Big Green Egg

Greenman pay no heed to the dismissive remarks…cant justify your grill using multiples and such but you know the value to your Green Egg when you taste it. I have the Broik King Keg (very similar to Green Egg) and for my money its a cut above when it comes to long and slow cooking / smoking and reaching extreme temps quickly.

Multiples and financial models simply dont work for some things; like buying a sailboat, or entertainment system, or the home of your dreams or courting the woman of your dreams - some things are just worth it!

Enjoy your Egg!

Made a brisket the other day. Normally, I cook them overnight. I start at about 9 p.m… Around midnight or so, I go and wrap them in foil and keep cooking them until 10 a.m. the next day.

This time, however, I didn’t have enough foil, so I just left it in there. Brisket came out nice and crispy on the outside, but tender and juicy in the middle. Yum!

Probably gonna do a big turkey next week for the fam. I’ve done one before in the Egg and it was delicious beyond belief.

I’m jealous I need a nice grill. I’m going to hijack this thread right now though and turn into a lesson for all you amatuer barbeque junkies. Let me introduce to you a famous rub: the kansas city style.

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup paprika
  • 1 tablespoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne

This should be used on any and everything: chicken, ribs, skrimps, crawdag, etc. If you really want to do it right rub these suckers the night before and let em sit in the bag. The meats start producing a juice factory of flavor and then you got a bag of goodness with that rub all over it. From here if you got ribs I put it in a nice braising mix and then cook them in the oven before the grill. If interested I will provide that mix. If you’re not cooking ribs then just throw them right on the grill. Note that just because you put the rub you can still paint on sauce. I read about this nice jam sauce the other day and I’m thinking of doing it to add some new textures to the dish.

making me hungry bro, might hit up authentic dalls bbq on way home

For Geo

Mad Respect.

On another thread, Geo asked what these cost.

Of course, the answer is “it depends”. What size do you want? I have the Large, and that’s what I’d recommend. It goes for about $950 at the local hardware store.

But you have to have a place to put your egg. If you don’t have a built-in place in your outdoor kitchen, you can get a “nest” for it, for about $350. Or you can get a metal diamond table, like I have, for about $750.

But that’s not all. You need a platesetter (so you can cook indirect) for $75, the ash pan and ash tool, and probably some other odds and ends.

All in all, I probably have a little over $2k in my Big Green Egg. But I bought some “upgrades” for it. I bought a High-Que fire grate (which I would recommend) and a Woo3 ring (so I can cook multiple meats at low temps. And of course, I got a lot of tongs/forks/saucers etc. But you’d need those no matter what grill you get.

Recently, somebody asked me, “If you could go back in time, would you still get a Big Green Egg?” I answered, “No. I would get two of them.”

EDIT - couldn’t post links because c&p is still not working in IE. I’ll switch to Chrome in a minute and give some links.

Yeah that was awesome. But I for one, laughed out loud @work.

I exhaled out of my nose with slighly more force than is typical.

If my husband spends $2000+ on a grill, it will be a murder scene in the NANA’s household - I don’t care if he does it to “show off to the neighbours” or whatever other shit reasons.

:slight_smile:

nani is mad T_T

Lol, You’re like the 9 year old kid who wants to get the girls attention by being rude to her.

Just ask her out. I call dibs on your japanese-ukrainian daughter.

This is the most negative emotion I’ve ever seen Nana display. It actually caught me off guard. I imagine the face shouldn’t be :slight_smile: but rather (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ or ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ

LMAO. Pot, meet kettle.

This will be my next toy for the Big Green Egg. Basically, it stabilizes the temp so that you can cook overnight (or at work, or out of town), and not worry about the temp creeping up or down on you.

http://www.thebbqguru.com/

I also have this. It’s an “extender” that allows you to cook two cuts of meat (e.g. brisket on bottom and pork butt on top).

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-spider-big-green-egg/235-tab-articles/lg-woo-tabs/191-pswooextender.html

This is a delightful little thing that makes lighting the grill a snap, and makes the fire hot so you can cook steaks at high heat.

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Charcoal-Grate-Upgrade-Large/dp/B004XU1FES/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1394048994&sr=1-2

If you’re really serious, you can get the Spider. I had already bought the platesetter when I saw this. I think you really ought to be serious about cooking if you get this. (I’m really only a casual cooker.)

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-spider-big-green-egg.html

More questions? Ask the pros on the Egghead Forum. I’m there–under Greenman72. (Although I don’t post very often.)

http://eggheadforum.com/categories

THis is actually not negative, this is just to show everyone has their own interests in things…

I would spend $800 to $1500 on a bag i use everyday, but i would not spend $2000 on a toy that i use MAYBE once a week. (for half a year and then i get tired of cleaning it).

Others probably think the other way, and that’s okay.

:slight_smile:

Maybe I spoke out of ignorance.

But my $2,000 grill will last 30 years. It functions as both a smoker and a grill (2 for the price of 1). The food takes little effort to cook, compared to other smokers. And the food is noticeably better when cooked on an Egg than a gas grill.

Is there any functional/2-for-1/longevity benefits to buying an $1000 messenger bag as opposed to a $30 one? Will a $1,000 one last 33x as long? Is it 33x as big? Does it attract 33x as many guys? Or guys that are 33x richer?

And I’m sure that you have more than one of these $1000 bags. I only have one $2000 grill. (Actually I also have a $400 Weber Spirit, but it does more dust-collecting than cooking.)

Troof. I don’t mean to beef witchu Nana. Let’s squash it. You good.

To each their own. What a man/woman does with their money is their own business, so long as it doesn’t spillover to become my resopnsibility.

r u still living at home?

That’s just my point, i am not shaming really for anyone who pays for $2000 grill, i was only joking to make my point.

I think it’s GREAT to find things to buy that can enrich your life. If you enjoy smoking and grilling all the time (and do not worry about the health risks), then $2000 is well worth it!

Same as someone who owns $20,000 collection of designer bags, or a $100,000 car, or $2.5M house… if you can afford it and you are happy with it, why not?