CFA Level 1 = Job?

[quote=“kngods”]

Go back to college…major in math…get > 3.7 GPA

Dude, L1 pass is the golden ticket to get in the game.

Hell, I hear that when you finish the charter you automatically get a promo… Get that L1 pass!!!

I only started getting traction with L1 candidacy then pass. I’m not even a finc major (“I studied finance in college” which is true).

I did hustle like crazy though. It also helps that I’m really really good looking (kidding).

[quote=“Ramos4rm”]

+1

there’s no way i’m going to go back to college for another 4 years. then just be on the same boat, trying to hustle for a Entry level job while i’m 27 lol,???

what this guy said: at least L1 is standardized and not some easy “college degree” that you can find out of a Cracker Jack box

FWIW, I just got a job 3 weeks ago and I know the content I learned studying for the L1 was material to me getting the offer. Without the hours and without this forum, I wouldn’t have gotten my job.

^ Congrats, man. What kind of role is it? And thanks for being like the first person ever on this board to agree with me on anything

gonna have to agree with this, due to grade inflation and dime a dozen, of degree, sad truth is that 50k you payed for a college degree is the same as the guy from a unkown college. only difference is maybe some degree have brand name behind it such as Harvard etc.

Yep. I was part of our student managed fund and had full time finance internship summer between jr-sr year and PT senior year.

In order to get a job I had to get hired by a Big 4 accounting firm in the auditing group, and I moved out from there. Many of us take roundabout routes from A to B, particularly if you come from a non-target despite good grades and experience.

Forget these guys, if you really like the stock market, keep at it. CUNY or no CUNY, if you can make money for your employer, you’ll get a shot. But i do suggest you understand the economy. And read up on history because things do repeat quite often. Back in the early 1900s, even poor farm boys can rise to the top. Bernard Baurch attended CUNY. Though i think back then a CUNY education is worth a whole lot more than a present day Wharton education.

So what would your GPA have been without the grade inflation?

Where do we send the invoice?

You were asked in another thread if you looked Maria Ozawa but I don’t think you answered. Well do you?

^I can’t remember what she looked like, at least her face, and no I’m not googling her again.

She’s asian then.

CFA landed me a job in finance. It definately can help regardless of the rest of your resume.

If you paid 50k for Harvard and can afford it, you’re smart

If you paid 50k for Harvard and you come from a poor family, it still might be okay

But if you paid 50k/year for some private school that isn’t even in the top 50 of the nation’s colleges, I personally think you’re a moron.

I just got an entry-level job in corporate finance (financial analyst + business analyst combo).

from what i see is Ivy league is for kids that dont know how to hustle on the street. lol. So they resort on the brand of their degree to get a job

This is blatantly wrong - coming from someone that went to a state school. Sure, countless people from Ivy League schools may show a sense of entitlement. However, it was their hard work and being relentlessly pushed by their parents that got them there in the first place.

Mind you there are plenty of people that didn’t go to an ivy that have the same entitlement issues.

I also totally disagree.

the fact that top firms recruit at those schools is not students resorting to their school brand for the job, but that the top schools provide a layer of filtering for the firms.

few numbers of Ivy kids are as entitled as you say, and the large majority worked very hard to get in.