CFA Level 1 = Job?

Nowadays it seems like the value of a university education is being watered down because more and more people are attending and graduating.

I think that pursuing / obtainng a professional designation like CFA or CPA helps demonstrate that you are competent in the area of study and hopefully can be a stepping stone to at least get you an entry level position so you can work your way up. But you also need to have a good soft skill set too like strong communication skills, networking etc… that you acquire through your life experiences.

There are a lot of things that you learn about in life and in your career that aren’t taught in classrooms that will determine your success. Try some different jobs. Figure out what you like and don’t like about different roles. Find a mentor and learn form them. Start to network with others in the industry you are interested in. Eventually some of that hard work will pay off.

Capital Grille costs 50 dollars and is worth 50 dollars. Burger King costs 5 dollars and is worth 5 dollars. If you pay 50 for Burger King , you’re a fool.

There, I simplified it for you. Your response was not only off-topic, but reeks of ignorance and sour grapes. When you say things like that conversation, it makes people question your listening/reading comprehension and it might validate in their minds whey you have a 2.3 at a no-name school and why they should hire the Harvard kid over you.

+1. The comment was of jealousy.

Yes you are almost right, only that your statement needs some factual improvement and rectification to be correct it should read, "from what i see is Ivy league is for kids that dont know how want to hustle on the street. lol. So they resort on the brand of their degree to get a job and work hard towards it "

(Of course you can also add, “only pre-condition being they should be able to afford it…”)

sorry to interrupt fellas,

but here’s the down-low. passing level 1, and being a level 2 candidate DOES NOT HELP you get a job. Especially in this economy. I got laid off from back-office operations about 6 months ago an have been meaningfully looking for work as a level 2 candidate with a MS in Finance from a not-so-great-university (VCU) and it’s been tough =(

Sad to know about your circumstances. Your credentials sound good as, despite what others may say , after some experience and professional qualification (you are on way to it though, not yet done) the type of university really does not make much difference. May be you need to go through your cv to highlight right things (including your level 1) and brush it up keepng in view your feedback from the interviews you may have attended. It is the first and only thing through which the potential employer develops a picture of your suitability in his mind, everything follows that. If necessary seek some professional’s views whom you know. From my experience of recruiter it is evident that quite a few experienced applicants simply ignore to highlight their strengths and ‘how their experience will contribute to the job they are applying for’, it has to be unlike a fresher’s cv and cover letter (so sometimes you have to adapt it to meet the requirements of the job you are applying for instead of using the same format for all!). Another thing, may sound silly but a fact, don’t stress on doing of level 2 unless the discussion raises it during interviewing, as many employers (not all) feel 'the candidate will be focussing more on passing level 2 (or any other simlar exam when the candidate stresses on going for it) at the cost of work as many of them know what means to study for it. Yes, some employers do consider it good but unless you know why introduce an element of uncertainity?

Secondly, often I find that the back-office operations are often listed as more of secondary tasks, some how not implying any contributory or decision making role. If that is so try to word it differently (as you may have seen on many CFAI membership application threads - same job can be described in a better manner to make it sound more responsible without lying).

Finally, don’t lose hope or feel defeated (I am not sure you are feeling so but your post sounds like that) it is not the best time to get offers in the field you are trying. It is not “down-low” at all, it is just a phase in the process of settling in a career - ups and downs are there. Ups and downs are a part of everyone’s career (even the most successful ones!) and this totally depends on how you face it. You can either be overtaken by the downs or you can take it in a poistive way and learn from it. So, learn from it and see what you can do better to improve your position. Best wishes for better results.