CFA level 2 2014 results - Retabulation

If one is confident about his test, he should definitely go for retabulation.

When I sat for Level II test, my initial result was Fail Band 6. Though I was not prepared for that result, I did not go for retabulation. Surprisingly, I got a call from CFAI almost after 2 months of the result to inform me that there was a mistake from CFAI and I have passed the test.

Sometimes I wonder, what would have happened had they not figured out the error.

It’s highly unlikely, but if you entered your candidate number incorrectly on one of the two answer sheets, that could explain the result. They should be able to link the answer sheet to you though. Definitely worth a retab.

I also submitted a retab request last week after going from Band 10 to Band 7 this year and feeling much more confident about this year’s performance. I also remember the proctors counting and re-counting the answer sheets in the afternoon session (as if they were missing one, or one was in the wrong place). Makes me wonder if there was an administrative hiccup.

My guess on the grading logic is that the computer grades the answers based on the answer key. Answer keys differ depending on the seat allocations. Usually all candidates would have the same seating arrangement in both morning and afternoon sessions meaning their answers would be compared with a set of answers found in a single answer key. In scorpomanoj’s case since the morning and afternoon sessions seating arrangements were different probably the computer would have graded one of the sessions with the wrong answer key and hence band 1. It is definitely worth a retab.

Yeah, this is very odd. I’m looking forward to hearing the outcome of this case.

Best of luck!

Thats the thing, I would rather spend 100 bucks on a retab just to be sure than spend another year studying for the same level exam when I could have maybe avoided it even if the odds of a change are extremely low. If it remains a fail then it remains a fail, but at least now we can feel like we got the grade we deserved and just have to work harder next year.

Exactly. And at least we’ll only have to wait a couple of weeks to find out.

Bikash123’s case of fail to pass without a retab suggests that CFA continues to do the manual retabulation for all failed candidates irrespective of whether the candidate requests or not and if it finds any anamoly that results in a pass it notifies the candidates of the same. Any thoughts on this.

Could mean that someone elses retab in his same test centre caused it for everyone in else in that same location. I highly doubt they retab every persons score

Are CFA exam proctors Charterholders? If not are they atleast from an industry / academics that is aware of the rigor of CFA? Do they know the implications of a proctor error? Are they aware of the effort that is required to be put up by a candidate for the exam? I think CFA Institute has to be more selective when it comes to proctor selection as a small proctor error has the potential to change the result of a candidate completely off-guard which the candidate might not be unaware in certain cases.

@ Bobbybraveheart, any updates on retab mail from CFA institute? Mine, still fingers crossed.

I think you have a good chance here. Based on what i recall, someone from L3 got Band 5 because he wrote the AM answers in the wrong place and all his scores were cancelled so I doubt someone would get a Band 1 after all this preparation and I’m sure something technical went wrong. Best of luck and Im sure CFAI are fair and just to give you what you deserve.

On the one hand not able to decide what to do next; on the other hand really sucks thinking about the time devoted for the preparation only to get a band 1 fail.

nope all I got was an email receipt that they got my order but nothing yet, will post back when I hear something

Way back in 2004 3% of the candidates’ results were changed from fail to pass without any retab requests. There were few relatively less number of cases over the last few years where the results were changed from fail to pass after retab. Only thing is retab beneficiaries are not coming out for whatever reasons thus forcing everyone to believe the myth ` it has been years since a retab has resulted from fail to pass.’

Scorpion, just start prep for L2 again like me until you get the retab results. You’ve got a better chance than me that something technical has gone wrong. I got a band 10 and was very sure I aced EI and FRA…there was a slight chance that I might’ve filled in a wrong digit in my candidate number and may have resulted in someone else’s results with mine…but that’s a far chance of that…so I just donate $100 to CFAI for peace of mind and continue on with my CFA journey.

@That Candidate, Its hard to digest being so close but still not close enough, in your case. My best wishes to you on your retab.

I dont have any other option left with me. I have done all that I could to justify my side of reasoning that my results are not the reflection of my true performance. Apart from the retab request procedure, I have mailed to CFA institute detailing the exam day incident and also a brief on my preparation and background (just a supplementary factor), to which I got a reply that it has been forwarded to the concerned division for further process.

The histocial success rate of retab outcome has now put me on a backfoot despite my initial sense of confidence on the back of my L2 2014 preparation. Now gradually I have shaped my mind to accept the final retab outcome whatsoever and take things in a positive stride and concentrate on L2 2015. After all it is a matter of 1 more year. Though it sucks, I will take that as an opportunity to improve my knowledge and skill. Like you, I have just started my L2-15 journey starting from heavyweight topics.

Thats the spirit scorpio.

scorpio, Bobbybraveheart any developments on your retab results?

Nothing yet, been about 10 days since I sent it in and they charged my credit card the same day so I know they got it and it’s in processing