Don't blow this whole CFA thing out of proportion!

He’s somewhat right but he didn’t have to be so uncouth about it. Having CFA won’t make you a good investor all it does is giving you the basic knowledge to do so and signal to employers your work ethic. Still it’s a nice thing to have to since it is hard-earned and respected in general.

I don’t think someone’s value or competence is based on the number of letters they have after their name! Anyhow I have no intention of fighting anyone…

But in FRM I didn’t see any signs of stochastic calculus, PDE, Stochastic processes, etc applied to asset pricing! The level of maths wasn’t much more intensive than CFA (apart from maybe the econometrics part of it). Hence, why I am intereste in the program.

CQF is too expensive with little utility.

Have you taken the course yourself Rahul? If so, would appreciate a detailed explanation of why you weren’t satisfied (sorry if I am asking for too much)!

I have not taken CQF and will never take it.

It definitely not worth doing if you are doing Ph.D in quant finance - it’s not taken seriously by any one and it is very expensive. I’m only doing it because I’m interested - and I don’t have time to go back to school.

The only reason I brought it up here was to demostrate that ot evreyone does things for their career.

This all sounds like someone expecting a “fail” in two weeks…

cgo . . . meet Greenman.

Just saw his post - I read the first few in the thread and skipped down to say something.

Seriously though OP…how many hours did you study??

+1 OP… the CFA is less of a ticket to a great PM/AM/ER job and more of an “atta-boy” for studying 1000-1500 hours and passing three 6-hour exams. The curriculum is really too broad and not specific enough to make one qualified for a finance job on the basis of the CFA Charter alone, but does qualify one as having general knowledge in finance.

Stop it already with this rediculous question! My mission when studying for an exam is as follows (so should be for anyone else):

1- Read the whole curriculum + answer EOC questions and concept checkers

2- Review using Schweser

3- Review EOCs and Mock exams

4- Review formulae and weak points

End of story, never timed and if anyone ever asks I could only give a guesstimate. If I had to guess I’d say somewhere in the region of 300-500 hours, but that doesn’t mean squat! Happy? The whole point is to finish the above points to be prepared for the exam. Now this could take 200 hours for one person and 2000 hours for another (although I really doubt the latter)!

Amen

Amen, brother.

In this sense, it’s very similar to the CPA exam, a bachelor’s degree from Harvard, an MBA from UTSA, the CFP exam, the ASA exam, Marine Boot Camp, the Series 7, or pretty much any other “exam” or “certification” in the world. It guarantees nothing, except that it distinguishes you from somebody else who doesn’t have that feather in their cap, and it gives you a starting point, so your employer won’t have to hold your hand and teach you everything from scratch.

^ CPA is required to do certain jobs.

No job requires CFA.

+1

In the UK to be recognized as an accountant you need to take the ACA examinations (ACCA qualified accountants are usually of less value for some reason and not taken as serious). So yes, I agree with you sir. Any job that I looked up in the AM arena only mentions the preference for CFA but they never have it as a requirenment!

over 9000!!!

Again please allow me to make few points:

1)Every1 on AF knows that CPA/ACCA/ACA etc will get more job opportunities than CFA.

2)CFA was never meant to be a standalone degree/credential/designation.CFA helps your career if it is combined with quality workex or CPA/ACCA/decent MBA .This is why CFA is "preferred " by employers not required.

I have nfi what an ACCA or an ACA is.