Etiquette in the Dating World

Prude

Ouch

That’s what she said.

Only if you didn’t do it right

man u smooth operator

This discussion underscores how happy I am to have been married now for 35 years.

What a complicated mess.

If she is not engaged or married then she is fair game…shit I’d even go as far as engaged in special cases but depends. If she’s been dating someone for 5 years and the dude hasn’t popped the question, she’s probably bored and tired of waiting and in all likelihood, easy to get, guy’s fault if she gets snatched up by someone else. Anyway, go for it…I didn’t read all posts so dont know if she’s married but if she isnt then yea go get her…forget the other guy. I’ve stolen girls from someone else twice in my life…one led to a long termish relationship (over now) and the other led to a one nighter. Itera’s point is a true one though…if she leaves her guy for you then consider this a temporary thing…because she might do it again. Lease and and get a new model once you’re done. If you fall in love…well…sh*t.

Not really. The complicated mess was my marriage. Just passed what would have been our 8th anniversary. This is amateur hour.

Well, for me: really.

You should never use a colon after a sentence fragment. Look at me mentoring the crap out of you.

I know a girl that has been dating the same guy since they were in high school. They’re 25/26 years old now…I’m like seriously do something already…

Easy target…the best target really.

^ she either has a fallacy with dealing with the sunk cost aspect of the relationship since it’s been so long, or there are externalities like…his parents are rich or something. Because she seems content with the whole situation.

Please DO NOT write a note… just talk like STL and bchad suggested.

Yeah, what the hell, a note? Is this third grade?

Reminds me of Billy Madison’s note to Miss Veronica Vaughn.

Stealing someone from someone else is lose/ lose no matter what your intentions

if you want something serious with her, do you want something serious with someone who is willing to just up and leave their partner like that? She could quite as easily do that to you.

And if you don’t want something serious, is it really worth it?

id just chalk this one down to bad timing and enjoy dancing and flirting with the lovely lady for the time being and the scenario may well change.

I’ve really enjoyed this thorough public discussion of my dating life. It’s kind of funny and cathartic. Everyone on AF should subject themselves to it now and then.

I’ll take all this under advisement, but there doesn’t seem to be a consensus. Many factors to consider. BTW, by a note, I was meaning a short email, kind of the succinct written equivalent of what Sweep suggested.

Anyway, I’ll probably be dancing with her tonight. I’m inclined to do some small talk trying to figure out how serious this other relationship might be. I’ll leave out any mention of the 2 hole.

I disagree that leaving one person for you means that that person will therefore leave you for someone else.

Yes, it’s a concern, and perhaps the chances are slightly higher, but the chemistry between two human beings is fairly unique. I’ve been with some women that I’ve been easily tempted to cheat on, and others that I’m completely devoted to even when things are bad.

My grandfather slept around until he met his second wife, and then was devoted to her for the next 35 years until she died. He remarried a third time and told his third wife to understand that he would be ultimately burried with his second wife.

The point is that the propensity to cheat is an interaction between the character of the person(s) and the chemistry of the couple.

+1 to this.

I was with Girl A, then left her for B. Then, I left B for C.

I’ve been married to C for seven years now and we have two children.