F*** FIFA

Brian Fellows Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yeah, I think the point of these World Cup locations is to foster a sense of international community by encouraging people to visit (or at least watch media coverage of) these countries. It’s probably not a coincidence that 4 World Cups in a row will be hosted by developing economies. A large sporting event held in Japan or the US, which have done many such events in the past, would be far less interesting than one held in a new country.

Carson Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Majority of the money spent on Qatar sure to be > wasted. I think the fact that the US and Japan > hosted it so recently will have played against > them. 16 years ago for the US is recent? At best, North America will go 32 years between hosting WC’s. In that time, Europe will have hosted 3, Asia 2, Africa 1 and South America 1. FIFA would have a hard time explaining not giving it to Australia in 2026 if they decide to bid, so 36 years is more likely. Of course by then it will be 20 years since Western Europe had it, so make it 2034 for North America to have a realistic shot.

I don’t think you can compare this by continent. North America is comprised of 3 countries.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t think you can compare this by continent. > North America is comprised of 3 countries. It’s pretty hard to compare it any other way when you consider the fact that the State of California alone is larger and more populous than most European countries. Combine CA and TX and only Russia, Germany and Turkey have more people and only Russia and Kazakhstan are larger.

Why is it hard to compare by country? The teams in the World Cup represent countries. Is it unfair that Europe can send like 40 teams and the US can send only one team?

Muddahudda Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > >England / USA / Australia should pull > out. That would be the best thing that could happen to world football. Three crappy teams gone. Take Ireland, Scotland with you on the way out. Bunch of no-skill clowns polluting the WC with their drunken hooligans. The only reason the US and Australia play in the WC is the garbage qualifying groups they have. Conca-caf … come on.

mar350 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ohai Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Well, it’s pretty obvious that the > international > > football (soccer?) community has some degree of > > disdain for the US, since soccer is a second > tier > > sport here > > try third-tier sport at least. soccer’s backbone > here is illegal immigrants. Agree. Real Americans (see red-necks) only watch baseball and NASCAR. Nothing beats watching fat guys on steroids, chewing tobacco, spitting, running around the bases for 4 hours. The true beautiful game …

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mar350 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > ohai Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Well, it’s pretty obvious that the > > international > > > football (soccer?) community has some degree > of > > > disdain for the US, since soccer is a second > > tier > > > sport here > > > > try third-tier sport at least. soccer’s > backbone > > here is illegal immigrants. > > Agree. Real Americans (see red-necks) only watch > baseball and NASCAR. > > Nothing beats watching fat guys on steroids, > chewing tobacco, spitting, running around the > bases for 4 hours. The true beautiful game … You are forgetting the realest sport, WWE.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Why is it hard to compare by country? The teams in > the World Cup represent countries. Is it unfair > that Europe can send like 40 teams and the US can > send only one team? FIFA organizes itself by regions which are effectively based on the continents, other than Australia being part of the Asian region.

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- i apologoze for having options that don’t include falling over due to a light breeze, clutching an ankle and crying like a baby.

mar350 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mo34 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > i apologoze for having options that don’t include > falling over due to a light breeze, clutching an > ankle and crying like a baby. You’re right. Plus you can watch the BB game or NASCAR race drunk and not miss any of the action.

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You’re right. Plus you can watch the BB game or > NASCAR race drunk and not miss any of the action. isn’t that the point?

mar350 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mo34 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > You’re right. Plus you can watch the BB game or > > NASCAR race drunk and not miss any of the > action. > > > isn’t that the point? I don’t drink and when I go to a match ( say tennis or football) I go to enjoy the action not the hot-dogs.

marcus phoenix Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Mobius Striptease Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Qatar sure found a way to finally qualify for a > > World Cup, well done! > > Yeah its called bribing. why do the other main contenders suck at bribing? because of high moral grounds or lack of money?

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > marcus phoenix Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Mobius Striptease Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Qatar sure found a way to finally qualify for > a > > > World Cup, well done! > > > > Yeah its called bribing. > > why do the other main contenders suck at bribing? > because of high moral grounds or lack of money? Not everyone can bribe with gobs of oil and gas.

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > marcus phoenix Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Mobius Striptease Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Qatar sure found a way to finally qualify for > a > > > World Cup, well done! > > > > Yeah its called bribing. > > why do the other main contenders suck at bribing? > because of high moral grounds or lack of money? The US bid committee members are used to receiving bribes, not giving them.

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > > > why do the other main contenders suck at > bribing? > > because of high moral grounds or lack of money? > > > The US bid committee members are used to receiving > bribes, not giving them. makes sense, I thought it’s a cultural thing too

You have to wonder about Putin though. The only PM who did not prostitute himself in Zurich and coming out on top. Man this guy is good. Probably kidnapped their kids and ordered them to vote for Russia but only after ridiculing the British in the first round.

thommo77 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > At least Sarah Palin will have a great view of the > tournament in 2018. lol WC in Russia is not that bad. ¡Vamos Argentina!

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You have to wonder about Putin though. The only PM > who did not prostitute himself in Zurich and > coming out on top. > > Man this guy is good. Probably kidnapped their > kids and ordered them to vote for Russia but only > after ridiculing the British in the first round. It was either the WC for Russia or Polonium tea for the selection commitee.