How are you feeling?

I’ve seen it and I can vouch for its artistic integrity. Very good stuff, like HD stuff.

I feel good about the exam. I think if I didn’t pass this time around I would definetly pass next year. In my opinion there’s such a huge luck element to the exam in the sense of how they weight the exam from year to year. For example if we all wrote the L2 exam three weekends in a row with all three being different versions from previous years, and they graded all 3 of them and gave us our results, some of us would pass all three, some would pass maybe one of the three, some maybe two of the three, and this would be based primarily on how they weight the exams and the questions that are asked. That to me says there is a huge luck element to the entire process compared with being able to say “this person knows the core material that we want them to learn so we are passing them”, but thats not how CFA works, so if this year I end up band 9 or 10 then I’ll put in a couple hundred hours studying for next year and roll the dice next year to see what topic areas they choose to pick on and hopefully they are the one’s I’m stronger in.

I don’t agree with your points.

Taking 3 different exams are just like taking three different mock exams.

We are adviced to score above 70% in all the mocks to pass CFAL2.If some one scores above 70% in 5 different mocks then they will surely score above 70% in 3 different CFA exams.

However if you score above 70 in only 2 of your 5 mock exams.Then you will need the help of destiny to make you pass the real thing.

I hope I never need the help of destiny to pass an exam but there are people out there (I have friends who never scored above 70 on a mock exam and passed the real thing) who score between 60-65% on mocks and pass the real thing. All I’m saying is if you’re on the border line of passing, then getting topic areas that you were better prepared for will increase your chances, and the topic areas you get on an exam change year to year which to me says there’s an element of chance to the entire process. I might pass this year based on the topics that were asked but have failed next year based on the topic weightings.

I approve this message. The curriculum is so broad, there is a great variance each year in what is covered on the test versus what subjects any one individual has mastered. Mock exams are not necessarily good indicators either, since individually they do not represent the full scope of the curriculum. This variance is enough to create an element of “luck” in passing from year to year.

^ Regarding the ‘luck’ factor in Level II, I think it exists although it pertains more towards those that studied less than those that put in 500+ hours. There’s only 120 questions on Level II, and large topics can go completely neglected on the real exam. I know I was really susprised by the omission of a topic or two on the exam I took last month.

If you really invested a lot of time studying the entire curriculum, there’s not too much luck involved in the results. If you skipped a few chapters in the study process and focused on others…luck will be a lot more of a factor for you. Regarding the stories of people getting 60% on mocks and passing on exam day, I’d venture to guess a majority of those types lucked out on what topics actually showed up on the real exams.

It can happen; if you did not study topics A, B, and C and they don’t show up on the exam, you drew a royal flush (poker reference) and got very lucky. It could make the difference of maybe 5-7 percentage points if you weren’t prepared for those topics.

99.9% confident that I have passed

It is not the probability of success but your reasonableness that is a decreasing function of time.

‘Luck’ is when opportunity meets preparation. Somehow when you study hard you will be prepared for more opportunities. I call it ‘Hard Work’

I agree somehow, but my expirience tells me luck is much more value than hard work. I know it has nothing to do here, but please watch Match Point in your free time. “People are afraid to face how great a part of life is dependent on luck. It’s scary to think so much is out of one’s control”

PS. Im one of the “hard work” persons, but also lucky in many aspects of my life.

You need to be hard working and lucky… although i wouldn’t mind winning the lottery.

Luck is a statistical improbability that favors you. Winning lotto is pure luck because the odds are heavily stacked against you. On passing CFA, there is no luck there because one always has a more than decent chance to pass. No one saw it as highly improbable that you will pass CFA, which is the case for lottery.

Unless if you show up at the exam, shade all 60 boxes in 5 minutes, leave the hall, and pass the exam, then there is a strong case for luck there. If a billion people do it, maybe one or zero persons will pass the exam.