How bad is marijuana for 1. the body and 2. society?

South Park summed up your point well many seasons ago. Essentially, DARE and other anti-drug campaigns were trying to scare the crap out of the kids saying MJ is horrible and you’ll die/kill white women if you use it. In the end, Randy (Stan’s dad) comes clean and says, no, pot won’t really do you much harm. But it can make you lazy and feel all right about being lazy.

That’s really sums it up. Pot isn’t bad for you. But it can make you feel fine about laying around on the couch all day.

As for getting “freaked out”, that’s a side effect of either A) bad weed, B) too much weed, C) the person doing it just isn’t made to smoke/eat pot. It makes some people crazy paranoid. Generally those people stop smoking pot. No biggie.

It’s worth noting, not everyone gets lazy on pot either. Some people are highly productive. You’re average graphic artist to landscaper is probably high most of the time they’re doing their job.

Marijuana should be illegal because it causes more harm than benefits to NORMAL people.

Some argue marijuana is a safe and effective drug for pain or insomia, etc… but that’s why we have over the counter drugs and prescription drugs!

Just because something has some medical benefits doesn’t mean it should be accessable to everyone.

Same argument goes to people who claim tabacco and alcohol do more harm and if they are legal marijuana should be too, i think that’s non sense as well. Just because something is potentially harmful and legal doesn’t mean everything that is potentially harmful should be legal.

:slight_smile:

I strongly disagree. Stress kills. Tobacco kills. Drugs kill.

420 gives you munchies, increases positivity, 0 calories, and if you vape/edibles has zero effect on the lungs.

Is it really even a drug? :slight_smile: “I give you every seed-bearing plant on all the earth.” - God Genesis 1:29

+1

Sativa isn’t that bad for energy. Indica makes you a bit sleepy and is recommended for use at night and helps sleep.

My mind is on high gear all the time so it really helped me tone it down a bit. I never had memory issues from cannabis, but tried benzos (legally) and had significant memory gaps and got off those asap.

I’ve rarely encounter a single sentence with so many flaws. First off, what’s a normal person? What are the benefits? What’s the harm? And how did you quantify the results? Perhaps you have a source to cite?

By “normal” I assume you mean someone that’s taking it for recreational use and not medical, and is a generally healthy person? What are the benefits of this type of use, and what are the potentially harmful side effects?

I’m not expecting a response because your statement is absurd and can’t be backed up outside, perhaps, referencing the 1936 movie Reefer Madness.

Also, just because a prescription drug already exists to treat something, that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t explore better, safer ways to treat something. Perfect example, kids with epilepsy. The anti-seizure drugs that many have to go on have extremely bad side effects. A marijuana oil extract has shown to be just as effective (and more so in many cases) than the leading anti-seizure drugs, and it comes with much less-to-no side effects. Not to mention it’s much more affordable than the drugs on the market today.

No, STL, all synthetically formulated prescription drugs are automatically better than plants. Approved prescription drugs are never pulled for unexpected side effects and never cause unplanned long term health problems. They are also really expensive and have great benefits for pharmaceutical firms. You are wrong.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I really must get back to spreading the word about the harm of GMO’s undermining nature.

well, of the 3 or 4 guys I’ve known that have been wake and bakers only 1 of them has had the proper paranoid android reaction to weed. he was a flatmate at uni and started smoking daily near the end of 1st year and fully transitioned over 3 years from the life and soul of the party to be a total recluse that thought that everyone was out to get him. He still got a distinction in his Masters though.

The other 3 weren’t paranoid or displaying schtizo behaviour but they just weren’t equiped to deal with some parts of life. One guy refuses to go anywhere new, if he doesn’t know the lay of the land then he gets really apprehensive. Another guy can’t handle public transport and gets taxis everywhere so probably ends up spending a huge chunk of disposible income on transport. He also can only go to the supermarket late at night as he can’t handle it when it’s busy. anything requiring any degree of effort or the need to ‘just grin and bear it’ gets disgarded.

also, when did Nana return?

Thanks for getting back on that. I’m genuinely curious because I’ve got a bunch of friends that are pretty heavy users but haven’t known a lot of them from before so it’s tough to get a feel for some of the impacts. Do all of those people still use, or if they moderated did the effects remain on their social anxiety?

When I started whitewater kayaking a lot of the guys I kayaked with (at a pretty high level which seems to show they could compartmentalize the anxiety) would be high probably 20 hours a day, 7 days a week. In the past 2 years or so I’ve noticed a dramatic decline in consumption in the scene with people citing a variety of reasons generally along the lines of either pursuing a real life career to wanting to be more social. At the same time, I’ve known some very successful and ambitious smokers and most of the people I’m referring to moderated to maybe a weekly level rather than completely quit.

But while this seems like an indictment of weed I would actually suggest it could be the opposite because of A) the ease with which people were able to moderate from high levels of consumption and B) the fact that if they’d been drunk that much they’d likely have irrecoverably trashed their lives in every aspect.

^Not all weed carries the same effects. The paranoid/anxious behavior comes more from the sativa strains. This is a more active, less sleepy high. People that like the outdoors type stuff generally prefer strains heavy in sativa so they can still do physcial stuff without getting tired or just plain lazy, but are still able to enjoy their activity while high. The downside to sativa is that some people don’t get the “active” high. They go straight to anxiety or outright paranoia.

The other major strand of weed is indica (as indicated above). This is a much more mellow high and one that lends itself more to watching movies, playing video games, and fapping (actually both strains work well for that). You get the gist. It would be a pretty rare thing for someone to have a panic attack (which is pretty much what we’re talking about) on an indica heavy strain. Indeed, indica is used to treat anxiety and help high-strung people mellow out.

Almost all pot is some mixture of the two strains hence why different pot gives you different highs.

That’s all just base-line stuff that assumes the user has no predisposition to paranoia or anxiety. If they do, then chances are weed isn’t the right drug for them - unless they do their homework and find the right strains (which is becoming increasingly easy to do btw) - but they may just react poorly to THC in general.

And, I just want to be clear, all of what I’ve said above has nothing to do with schizophrenia. That’s an entirely seperate issue. There the issue is you get someone like Amanda Bynes. She had (apparently) undiagnosed schizophrenia and was (and probably still is) a very heavy pot user. The weed threw her previously unknown condition into hyperdrive and she went off the deep end fast.

To be clear though - prevailing wisdom on the matter is that pot can uncover the condition or exasperate the issue. It can’t, as far as we can tell, actually cause a mentally healthy person to go schizo.

For the record, I am a big supporter of legalizing marijuana, have been for years. The argument that it’s natural or that it’s just a plant so it can’t be as bad as man-made drugs is BS though. There are plenty of plants that are deadly. If you don’t think so, run over to your local garden center, buy some oleander and throw it on your salad at lunch. If you don’t eat salad, plant it in your garden and then throw some in your fire pit and take a nice big breath. Make sure you update your will first though.

I get that and agree with you, but the claim that prescription drugs are automatically a better option by Nana was equally silly.

^ Agree.

My takeaway is that STL knows far more about weed than any normal person should. Kind of like how bchad knows too much about female psychology that I am 88% certain he is a serial killer.

I make it a priority to thoroughly examine anything that can increase fapping satisfaction. (Also great for sex too if one or both of you aren’t too lazy to get started.)

i totally agree with you. but you are also missing the impact on health costs. if government is paying for social security, medicaid, then you shouldnt be doing unhealthy things. people who have diabetes or get cancer because of unhealthy lifestyles add to social tax as well.

my take is, if weed is illegal, then make alcohol and excessive sugar illegal too. im being extremely facetious btw. but lets stop the hypocrisy that targets one group over others. lawmakers need to stop making laws that have no sense or logic. educate people on what to do and try to convince them on what is right. dont force them.