How bad is marijuana for 1. the body and 2. society?

Substance abuse?

I hope it’s never legal in NYC. It’s grassy smell is nauseating

^u high

OK, let’s think about tobacco. What exactly is the cost to the society? Smokers die young and cost less in public healthcare money.

I agree that smoking close to a non-smoker is not only rude but possibly harmful, and I am fine with banning that - same with drinking alcohol in public places or smoking weed. That doesn’t mean we should ban smoking - only smoking near non-smokers. Very crucial difference.

And give me a break but a lot of things people do can offend your nose. Hold it and move on. What next, no farting in public places?

Similar to chewing tobacco, you can eat MJ in various formats - brownies, bhang, etc. No harm whatsoever to people near you. So why ban that? (Chewing tobacco can give you cancer of the mouth, no effects with ingesting weed so it’s better for you anyway.)

I just can’t stand the smell

According to some studies, the net cost is about zero, since 1) smoker health costs are higher, but are incurred over a shorter average life span, and 2) tobacco taxes subsidize non-smokers.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/08/how-much-does-smoking-cos_n_184554.html

However, I do think we have a moral mandate to discourage smoking, as this behavior does lead to suffering and illness among smokers. Furthermore, smoking causes some annoyances, like littering of cigarette butts and second hand smoke (that cannot always be avoided).

Here’s a short video which discusses the dangers of smoking pot, and how it ruined one young man’s life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeYsTmIzjkw

lawyers prattle. legal or illegal. good or bad for you. do you think juicy J give a f***?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk1ZO_980DI

Oh she knows.

I am not surprised there are studies (by tabacco companies or related parties) that says smokers do not do damages to the society and it can even say that it is a significant source of income for the government so non-smokers should really thank them.

So are you saying that we should legalize marijuana but ban SMOKING of it?

THis is so dangerous, we can go on and on and make more regulations to control it, but how much will it cost at the end to enforce the law, etc, and why do we need to pay for it? just so some people can get high?

Legalize marijuana but ban smoking it near non-smokers (or in public places in general), same as tobacco in many states. I even bolded that part in my previous post and everything. You know, to highlight the fact that marjuana doesn’t have to be banned, nor smoking it, but smoking it near other people that it would bother. Would you like further explanation?

We are already paying (in US) a lot to control it - incarcerating people involved in the trade where it is illegal (each prisoner costs anywhere from $30K to $50K per year depending on the state). Extra DEA agents. Court and government lawyers’ time.

And what exactly is the cost of banning public smoking of marijuana? I don’t get it. Tobacco is already banned, just add marijuana to it. And I am sure, if like ancient Indians I started smoking chocolate in public, that would be banned too. Cost of enforcement of ban on passive smoke is not a factor at all.

You have no argument really. Time to admit you are wrong and move on. It is not your business if other people getting high is good or bad. What are you, Taliban?

If weed becomes legal, I’m going to finally try some.

So you’re the one person left actually observing this law, huh?

Good on you buddy.

If I lived in Colorado, I would buy some and try some.

Not sure, but if the problem is the combustion that’s causing cancer, maybe swallowing Marijuana pills can give everyone the best of both worlds

Good point. I would be significantly less annoyed by tobacco or pot consumption if it was not consumed through smoking, which is messy and goes everywhere.

^^Why take a pill when you could have a cookie, brownie, soda, sucker, or basically anything else edible? I mean, I guess a pill would work, but that’s so…not what it’s about.

Smoking the stuff just gives me a headache, and no noticeable high at all (though there’s some secondhand high from watching friends chill out). Plus I don’t like the smell, which can stick with you and your clothes and your hair for a while.

Consuming via brownies, however, has always been my preference, albeit indulged only infrequently, because you never know when the CIA will come calling.

I don’t understand why people (particularly you in this case) are so concerned about being “right”, or get the joy out of proving someone wrong.

Are you expecting everyone in the world will support marijuana now that you made that comment?

There are simply no right or wrong in this case, all i am saying that it SHOULD be banned, and i am not even arguing that people who support marijuana are wrong. Are you seriously assuming you have perfect information in this subject matter? As in you have the exact dollar figure on the financial impact and the precise social consequences coming from legalizing marijuana? Or are you thinking you are right or have superior ability because you are a CFA member?

If you in fact cannot prove that you have perfect information, then please learn to differentiate “facts” from your “opinions”, something you should be familiar with as a CFA?

^ There is the NANA we all know and love smiley

I apologize profusely for justifying my opinions (may I point out I never portrayed them as facts) and contradicting your somewhat - ill-informed - ones, using common sense and bias for personal freedoms. Not a mistake I want to repeat. Bye-bye!