How do you motivate yourself to gym / running

I always get intense burning on the outsides of my tibia muscles when I try to run distance. It usually gets so bad and sore that I need to stop running to let it drain away. Is that lactic acid buildup?

I can run short distances very quickly, just this slow-twitch stuff is always hard for me. Anyone else have these problems?

Wait, which one should I do early in the day - gym or fap? Then, what’s the waiting period after fapping to working out? Is it like waiting 30 minutes after eating before swimming? I don’t want to cramp up while doing curls in the squat rack because I indulged in self-gratification right before.

Slow twitch is easier to train, in my opinion. You just need to gradually run 3 miles, then 5 miles, then 10 miles…

You are married. You wake up your wife!

^Obviously not married.

I hate working out but for some reason I feel if I work out, I will live longer.

I can tell you what has worked for me. I used to work out a lot when I was younger and then over the last 5 years I gained about 35 pounds…I could blame it on schedule, work, CFA, etc…but the real issue was I wasnt driven enough to overcome those. Then I went through a breakup in Oct and lost basically all I had gained in 2 months. Critical things for me:

• Always have clothes/towel/etc on you in your car (or at the office, whatever makes sense) so if you get time and werent expecting it, you can go to the gym.

• I wouldnt kill myself in the beginning. You dont want to make it so painful you dont go back.

• Try to switch up your workouts. Do different things to help keep it mixed up.

• Do be afraid to not necessarily stick to a set schedule. While it is good if you can get used to doing certain things on certain days, for me, I found that going to the gym and doing SOMETHING helped a lot more. Otherwise, perhaps I would talk myself out of going if the day wasnt something I really wanted. At least for me, early on, this got me up there more often.

I never did the group thing, but other people do like that. What works for some may not work for others, but this has helped me to get back into it.

Swimming is the most complete workout you can get. Just make sure you vary your speed and technique. Once you sleep well and eat well, you will be in the mood to exercise.

Don’t eat sweet things before running. Tires the hell out of you and makes you really really hungry in the middle of the workout.

Get a really good workout playlist. Nothing like blasting Lose Yourself in your ears while pounding the pavement.

My motivation is innate but if you truly need it here is my good buddy, he specializes in motivating girlymen like you.

http://muscleprodigytv.com/

^ What the hell, I need to be a motivational speaker/coach.

Diet is huge. I stay away from ethnic food not prepared at home when I’m training seriously.

Not drinking soda is probably one of the easiest ways to get in better shape as well. Making meals at home and keeping it to simple food will help you shed so working out isn’t as painful in the beginning. That’s always worked pretty well for me. I’m still a horrible distance runner, but I’m pretty decent at the sports I play.

Apparently after marriage you barely get any. Legit grounds for divorce if you ask me.

Thanks guys for all the positivity… Some of your replies cheered me up and actually made me feel better this morning! :slight_smile:

I agree that looking in the mirror itself is a motivation… I plan to start anew and hit the gym sooner!!

This should be enough motivation:

http://www.economist.com/node/21526782

http://press.princeton.edu/titles/9516.html

It is difficult for me to find motivation to go to the gym as when I stare into my mirror, it is nearly impossible to find any additional areas of improvement on the bronzed Adonis that is my physique. So you know, how can you get pumped to go and work on something that you know can’t be improved? To engage in grueling work without the payoff of seeing any additional improvement upon perfection?

So I get motivated by the delight I see on others’ faces when they see me pushing a new max, flexing my impeccably chiseled temple and displaying eye-popping muscular proportions befitting a demigod residing in Asgard. I do it for the people is what I’m saying. I do it for the people.

All of you’se are vain as fuck.

I bet you have #selfie by the chainsmokers on your playlists as well.

Right! I was speaking with him last week and he mentioned his new segment devoted towards motivational speaking. I made the argument that motivation, that fire within, was either there or not and could not be created by any words or leadership albeit we both agreed it would be profitable.

OP - FTR, i was quoting Arnold and used those words jokingly.

[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCsNunGnqE0]