How do you motivate yourself to gym / running

I took an off today , also went for a longgg walk! feeling refreshed

When I used to run a lot I’d run outside year round which I found helped relieve some of the monotony of running indoors. I also would not let myself eat after work until I had run.

I hate running indoors. Running on a treadmill feels like, well… running on a treadmill.

I do like running outdoors a lot, but its’ definitely harder when it’s yucky weather.

having a training goal helps motivation. randomly working out with no specific objective is a recipe for failure. i sign up for some kind of event every quarter. it doesn’t have to be a competitive event either. you can create your own physical challenge. some I’ve seen: 2,500 air squats for time; 1,000 pull ups for time; 1 mile weighted walking lunges; 10 minute plank (not on elbows, unless you’re a pussy); 10 sets of - 100 burpees and an 800 meter run; 1,000 8-count body builders. the possibilities are endless.

hmmm, what motivates me to work out?

the feeling of euphoria after strenous exercise for one hour. No other feeling tops it.

pick up a sport-------i dont like running---------- it seems so monotonous ------but i love playing squash-------when i come back back after playing for 2 hours --------i am totally drenched with sweat-------i burn more fat this way instead of running----------also finding a good partner for playing is a must---------somebody who motivates you when you slack a little or try to look for excuses to skip the game that day-------------

[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nZ1v96-veM]

Just want to focus on this for a second…

In the Marines, 20 pull-ups is considered perfect. The record in San Diego boot camp (when I was there in 2000) is 63.

How do you figure you can do a thousand pull-ups?

not all at once without dropping from the bar…that would be some kind of record. block off 6 hours and go for it, 10 at a time. those are meant to be really difficult gut check challenges. more a check of mental toughness than physical. i haven’t tried it yet, but i will before the end of the year. i can bang out a couple hundred pretty easily. i imagine it gets tough after 500.

Who’s got that kind of free time on hands? Do you eat in the breaks? Sounds a little insane frankly.

I’ll be happy when I get to 10 at a time.

krn - really a half day once every 3 months is too time consuming? i don’t think it’s insane. actually i think they could be very valuable experiences - proving to yourself that you can accomplish something that seems impossible on the surface. imagine the confidence you’d gain. and it’s not a matter of physical ability (assuming you have a decent level of physical fitness), it’s a matter of will and mental resiliancy. pull ups probably would require a higher baseline physical strength, but something like the air squats or even planking for an extended period of time wouldn’t as much- those are pure determination.

^ If doing a thousand pull-ups does it for you. Doesn’t do much for me.

Funny enough, my wife would react better to me waking her up to go to the gym than for sexy time.

I’ve learned, even now when they’re older and sleeping through the night, since having kids my wife really values her sleep.

I guess you are right. One golf game with some socializing takes the same time I’d think.

Agree about the resilience and determination part…

these guys don’t look super human.

[video:http://youtu.be/zwspg7U61Y4 align:left]

Same here, that’s why I picked up swimming. I have to feel like I’m going somewhere.