How much ALCOHOL do you drink

Self-reporting bias

True, but which way? Maybe people are underreporting now (though why?). Or perhaps our prior was overly informed by the loudness with which people report getting plastered. We probably don’t notice when people say they went out but didn’t get plastered. But our ears perk up when we hear that someone went and came home soooooo druuuunck.

Maybe it’s like sex, where everyone imagines that everyone else is having more fun than they are, when in fact, most people are struggling with the same issues as everyone else: not enough quantity, or if enough quantity, not enough quality. When I used the NORC GSS surveys, the interesting thing was that the average person had about 6 partners in life, but something like 2% of the population had 100s of partners. Basically, the distribution of sex was like the distribution of wealth, although it didn’t appear that wealthier people were necessarily having more sex (maybe I’ll have to go back and check that analysis - it may have changed).

Once upon a time, I believed the alcohol industry could use some coppers. Hence, I used to encourage it by consuming 3 Jacks straight-up with beer chasing it down to my liver and playing a game of pool. Unfortunately, times changes and the CFA witch caught up and now I am helpless, unable to access a single drop of alcohol for the past two months and watching the poor alcohol industry workers get laid off… I’m sorry God. Please forgive me. frown

Well, it’s clearly because it is something they are proud of while the people who drink normally (whatever that is for them) just don’t even keep track and the people who drink too much feel ashamed of it.

I’ve noticed that many people who abstain from alchohol previously had issues with it. For some people (my mother, for instance) alchohol just does not react well with their system.

I probably do a sixer of craft beer a week (2 beers per sitting seems average), maybe a bomber as well of something new once a week. Rarely have hard liquor anymore…and nothing out of big plastic jugs, how life has changed.

I don’t drink very much: < 1 drink a week. Also, I don’t like beer. I’m not really proud or ashamed. It’s just like that.

Yeah…I’m surprised too…pretty low. I just like to sample exotic craft beers on a regular basis…hate wine though.

Word. Especially on the craft beers.

Although I do like a good Port wine every once in a while.

Ah, I love Port as well. Been ages since I had any, though. Don’t mind a sherry now and then either.

Soooo, I guess most people on thie board do not have a wine cellar? I love port in the winter, great after duck.

I need to get a cellar once I become a BSD, port, sherry, barrel aged beers…mead…yeah pretentious sh*t only.

The timing of this thread is peculiar. The last time a thread like this came up, I began a tapering process out in San Francisco. Was modestly successful for two weeks.

Once again I’m currently out of NYC, and in the boondocks of New England, for a wedding later in Boston… been dry for two days now…

In the periodic cycles when drinking took on a more sinister aspect, I would loathe to try and count the consumption levels and at what rate, and would not look at my debit card transactions weeks after, with pub after repetitive pub names… just wanted to bury them under various other bills…

This weekend, if I drink at the wedding (which I don’t see how I could feign delight at the joyous occasion for several hours without something), I will start with a ‘gin martini’, because it’s difficult to just ‘chug’ one down.

I’ll sip it. If the caterers don’t have it, I’ll go to hotel bar and get one myself.

Wait, what? I missed something

I love having a cocktail or two when i go out and i love drinking wine/ sake/ beer when i dine out. And of course, when i go to see concerts!!

But i rarely drink by myself at home, so i guess my alcohol consumption is considered moderate.

I hate feeling sick from alcohol and i tend not to rely on alcohol to have a good time. I think i’m just as fun sober! :slight_smile:

I hate drinking at concerts. I don’t enjoy the music as much as when I’m sober.

That being said, I tend to drink something like 3-5 drinks ~2 days a week and then the weekends are hit or miss. Sometimes I’ll go climbing one day, then have a race or two, and I’m sober all weekend. Other weeks, I’ll drink heavy Thurs-Sun.

A buddy and I actually started recording a podcast as an excuse to get together to drink regularly. We have a few drinks, hit record, and argue about business ideas, politics, etc. If nothing else, it’s more fun than the book club his wife is in.

I love his wife’s book club. They bring me in to help act out 50 Shades of Grey.

And whom do they bring in to act in the role of Christian Grey?

Just got a 4 pack of Gulden Draak for 12 dol. Expensive for beer, but if you compare it to wine, it’s cheap. World class beer for the same price as a cheaper wine.

I think American beer is sh"t

They also add rice sometimes. Coors, Bud, etc … disgraceful

The same goes for whiskey. As far as i know most of the times it’s not even whiskey, rather it is bourbon or some corn sh*t

bud lite my friend…an absolute disgrace