job offer

Certainly, this is related to fund accountant post. Which is now one of the reason that’s why I want to know if it could qualify for CFA relevant exp.

How about negotiating for a Signing Bonus just like the suggestion of someone who commented in this post? Or is there anything more that I can try to negotiate with them aside from the Basic?

I am planning to accept their offer, however the next questions is, could this count as relevant CfA exp being a Fund Accountant? Whole Job Desc has been posted here http://www.analystforum.com/forums/careers/91349990

30000 Philippine Peso equals 641.913 US Dollar what the… thats your monthly wage?! how much is rent??

9k per month for house rent. Thats a 300 sq mt within city house. But for my case, I still live with my parents for free :smiley: dont get too shocked on 30k PHP. That salary is high, it is only being offered by Companies from 1st world. Putting their service centers here to cost cut from expensive guys. Well to be honest, the basic pay for freshers for a bank worker here starts at PHP 11,000 only. and reaching 30k is for Asst Manager Level with a total of 5yrs exp. So being offered for 30 would be more than double the Philippines FTE price

^good luck.

I don’t know about the US or the PI but in the UK signing on bonuses for entry level positions aren’t really part of our employment culture, as far as I am aware (unless I’m the only mug who’s never had one).

I would find it very strange if an entry level hire that I offered a position to asked for a signing on bonus. Perhaps a “relocation bonus” if they had to relocate down to London from somewhere else in the country, but that’s really the only situation I believe it would be offered in the main.

You could always ask what the “benefits package” includes, such as health insurance, pension plan, car allowance, travel insurance etc and try to negotiate on that, stating you were under the impression that certain benefits would be included. If they are not included that could possibly open the door that tiny little bit to a “oh well I was really relying on there being medical cover and a pension plan…and as there isn’t either, would you be open to perhaps subsidising these through an additional x PHP per month in salary? I would find the peace of mind that comes along with decent medical cover to be invaluable…yada yada yada”

I think the most important question here isn’t “what is the MOST I can get out of this situation?”; rather it should be “do I feel like I am being fairly compensated for my skills, efforts and ability?” If the answer to that question is no, then if you take this job you are going to sit there feeling pissed off from day one, so pehraps it is worth taking the route I outlined above. If the answer is yes, then do you stand to gain enough over and above what they have offered you to risk jepordising the whole opportunity and ending up with nothing.

As a final note - mate don’t be apologetic for what you earn. Different parts of the world have different relative costs of living, so to some in the west it may seem like you work for peanuts, but relatively speaking it sounds like have a well above average offer. So yeah…don’t be put off by the comments.

I’ve given my opinion in that thread. Anyway the real question you should be asking is this: am I currently unemployed?. If yes, who cares if it counts, take the job. If not, you have to balance the pay and future.

The whole outsourcing thing cuts both ways. In my days in Big 4 I saw it both ways. One of the clients I was on had a big outsourcing center in Manila and they were on the ball. And then my Big 4 firm had a big center in India that we were supposed to send stuff to and we had team based targets to hit. What they didn’t realize is that between preparing the work for India, creating templates, and the QAing the stuff when it came back, it would have just been more efficient to do it locally. The outsourcing folks generally slowed us down. Their low cost per hour helped the budget but that’s the only thing it helped. I spent so many hours cleaning up or re-doing the crap they did.

Sign on bonuses were pretty standard when I got out of university in US

+1

I can confirm this for IT industry. Bring back jobs to America. #Thrump2016.

+1

you must have scored well on your excel exam… j/k

I don’t think any of my close friends received a signing bonus on their first job out of ugrad (myself included). Should have scored higher on that SAT.

PHP 30k - a new AF meme is born.

I googled the wording from that job posting and as I assumed, it’s with a bank I’ve worked for. The company loved the quality of work from their Philippines team so much that we all had to pretend they were local. They had a local phone number, their email signatures showed a local address, and we weren’t allowed to mention to our clients that their accounting had been outsourced.

A standard conference call would begin like this: “Yeah, I’ve got ‘Fred’ here from the accounting team in Minneapolis.” I’ve never met Fred. His name was Juan Carlos or somthing and he definitely had never been to Minneapolis.

So after Manufacturing and IT, Accounting jobs are going to Asia. This is not so cool.

^^ what IT are we talking about? Bit confused as some people on AF seem to label programmers as IT person…You mean quant funds - with crazy mathematical formulas and automated trading or even HFT funds - who employ programmers are being outsourced? Programmers like the coders at MSFT, Google, or Facebook? These are IT? Or is IT someone who is semi fund accountants and also the dudes who come and fix your server in the back room?

I thought IT people are the ones that fix your computer and update security updates or install new RAM on your computer or update servers…These jobs are going to Asia?

So basically IT is a umbrella term to describe tech sector. We are talking about all sorts of IT jobs here. First, I don’t think crazy programmers who work in banks constitute a large portion of these jobs. And it is impossible to outsource these jobs to Asia. We are talking about service orientated jobs here. These guys work for Accenture, TCS, IBM, and other similar firms. These guys are managers, consultants, and software engineers. They basically do all aplication management stuff, everything related to back end support, development, and automation. Just check how many IT companies are operating from Bangalore and I guarantee, you will be surprised. My firm had 10k people in united States for on site work and 140k people in India for offshore work. And there are 3 more firms which operate in same capacity. When I was in India, I realized that these firms suck blood out of engineers (crazy work hours) because what they pay is shit but executives get a very large pie of profit. India doesn’t have strong labor law so employees are literally on the mercy of employer for everything. Very Bad work culture. That’s why you see lot of IT engineers are moving to North America. Outsourcing sucks. #EndOutsourcing

Apparently, the equity research departments of a couple of major banks have editing departments in India. This means the US analyst will write a report, but someone in India will check the grammar, spelling, etc. before the report is released. Maybe some people here have experience with this. Anyway, that whole arrangement just sounded bizarre when I heard about it.

^ bizarre indeed!

The shop I used to work at had a similar arrangement in that the firm would occassionally outsource modeling and writing assignments to a company in India. Not sure why that arrangement continued to exist as virtually all the work we received from them had to be redone.