just shifted to america - slight rant

North

L.A. is a dive, but San Diego is fantastic.

Where in LA? Around Compton?

yeah I was in encinitas for a year - awesome

Eat a Tommy Burger for me please. Only place better than In-N-Out.

I don’t need an American history lesson buddy even though I appreciate the effort. I am also surprised at the poetic inclincation, not bad at all.

A significant visible section of the populace seem to view America as a noble misunderstood country standing up for justice, liberty and equality and trying to do the right thing. Of course, not everyone is like this and a few people understand the realities of geo-politics but we all know where the vast majority of the bell-curve lie. From historical events to current scenarios the amount of revisionism is in many ways astonishing all the way from Sadinistas to Lumumba and Degh.

The propoganda was in full swing post - 2001 and we all saw just how blood thirsty a country became on completely unfounded claims and how the general populace lapped it up. I mean there were idiots running around killing Sikhs. Really, I could go on but I think we all have better things to do.

Thank you for confirming the bizzare fear of the unknown that still prevails in that country. I suppose it is sad that quite a few Americans themselves feel the brunt of this xenophobia. If the last point is your criteria then just consider this a bookmarked post from Shanghai somewhere in 20 years.

Also, if you stopped getting so touchy and defensive everytime maybe people would stop doing it.

I hope you didn’t miss the irony of an American telling someone else to mind their own business. :wink:

Well, the main problem with the OP is that he is disoriented and has the feeling of an outsider. Many Latin-Americans in So-Cal are second generation and will be able to relate to his experience as well as providing an insight into local life. He shouldn’t limit himself but it would be a good place to start.

Oh and Teflon - as you can see by STL’s post many Americans have self-obsessed narcissitic personalities so keep that into account if you are in situation that involves dealing with their fragile egos.

Why are Indians so obsessed with America? It’s almost as if they are too scared to criticize their internal problems, that they must rant about other countries.

The irony of an american telling someone to mind their own business is paralleled by an indian calling xenophobia bad in america.

I think you are focusing on a small but vocal segmant of americans. Most americans are annoyed at the government, yet there isnt much we can do about it. Most americasn know there are problems with race in this country, sadly our institutions dont like change and make it begrudgingly slowly.

America is FAR from perfect. I dont know if I would say its the best country, but its up there in terms of a lot of things. Hence why so many people from India want to come to stay with us & our kid brother canada

You also noticed he didnt bring up the occurance of gang rape and such in his country? Their treatment of women in general is terrible. That said its not a terrible country, there seem to be intelligent people generally interested in bettering themselves. Things like modernization on that scale take time, a lot of it, and there are growing pains along the way. This message boards assault is one of those pains.

Zindai, you have enough of a grasp on the situation for me to conclude you’re trolling.

You’re not entirely wrong but you’re being hyperbolic for the sake of starting a debate that doesn’t really exist. That is, you’re being a prototypical AF Indian troll. Granted, you’re better at it than that other guy, but still…shut the fuck up.

As for Teflon, I believe your feelings are entirely normal. I would imagine if an American had to relocate to Spain he might say some of the same things. Its a different culture with different norms and it surely takes time to get used to & embrace the differences. I think that is one of my favorite parts about travelling, its very different everywhere you go!

Possibly search around the net/reddit places like that, id imagine you can find some transplants that would be more up your alley. Also, just the wording “crude & off putting” comes off pretty snobby. I can imagine they may be feeling the same about you.

teflon is likely from a much less dense population centre with a strong community feel. moving to LA, one of the most dense and like most large U.S. cities, does not have a community feel. add to that he’s from spain and there wouldn’t be a large spain-spanish population in LA relative to other groups so trying to wedge himself into established social groups would be difficult. i could imagine it would be more difficult for him in LA than in say NY as “spanish” groups will consist almost entirely of Mexicans or Mexican-Americans so just finding a true spanish group will be nearly impossible.

internations is a good bet or like almost everywhere, pursue your hobbies and you’ll meet people with similar interests. this will help establish a community feel.

AF - American Forum

Let’s keep Indians away!

STL said: “The problem you may be encountering is when you bring up American politics with a US citizen - we don’t like fuzzy little foreigners telling us us how to run our country.”

bchad adds: this is hardly unique to the US. I know of virtually no nationality that appreciates foreigners coming in and telling them how to run their country. This is not a criticism of STL. It’s just surprising that anyone would be surprised by this.

First of all

Hollywood

Oh man, what a blessing in disguise! And just yesterday I thought how this city didn’t have enough…

#SpanishSpeakingPeopleWhoHateAmericans

you’re just jealous that we are all exceptionally good looking