Ken I axe you sumfin?

delta grill?

I’ll wait

Don’t forget the watermelon. Know any good places in NYC for that?

^ As a kid I loved watermelon. It was a rite of childhood eating a slab of watermelon in the park and spitting out the seeds. Now the white man took that away from us by genetically engineering seedless watermelon. It’s a damn shame.

Whitey always keeping us brothas down.

And what’s up wit those cube watermelons from Japan? I gotta have me a watermelon shaped like a rugby football.

My people eat everything deep fried but rarely chicken. Strange

My wife and I just polished off the brisket I cooked last week. Braised in a CrockPot with homemade barbecue sauce, and more sauce to slather on afterward.

I can post a recipe if you’d like.

^ Yes.

Here you go:

• ½ cup ketchup
  • ¼ cup water
  • ¼ cup chopped onion
  • 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 2 tbsp cooking oil (I use olive oil)
  • 2 tsp brown sugar
  • 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tsp whole mustard seed
  • 1 tsp paprika (I use smoked paprika)
  • ½ tsp dried oregano
  • ½ tsp chili powder (I use chipotle chili powder)
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • ⅛ tsp ground cloves
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 clove garlic, minced

Throw everything into a saucepan, bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer it for 10 minutes, stirring it occasionally. Let the sauce cool, then purée it in a blender or food processor. (If you don’t let it cool, the lid will explode off and you’ll have barbecue sauce everywhere; trust me on this.) You can discard the bay leaf before you purée the sauce, or you can cut it into strips before the simmering and purée it with everything else.

Enjoy!

How long in the crockpot?

I cooked about 3 lbs. of brisket (cut into roughly half-pound chunks) on high for 2½ – 3 hours, in a double batch of the barbecue sauce, then shreaded it. I made another double batch to serve with it (the sauce in which you cook it becomes very thin).

You holding out on me bchad?

Against better judgement I went to this divey joint that had a ‘catfish’ painted on the window. It was beyond garbage, just deep fried crap with no flavor.

I have a friend from La. that says Tchoup Shop is decent for cajun. Brooklyn, though.

Nah, I was just extra busy this weekend and didn’t have time to call her (she’s a chatterbox that one doesn’t always want to get started). I will try to get back to you shortly on this.

You know I’m yankin’ ya chain, no homo.

Ok, I texted her and she said that there’s Bourbon Street Bar and Grille on 46th between 8th and 9th.

She said there’s another place on Amsterdam Avenue, which I think is also called Bourbon Street, somewhere around 79th. I am often waiting around for the bus, watching twenty-somethings stumble out of the place barely able to walk. They have the party atmosphere - not sure about the food.

She says she never really goes there because she’d rather just have the food when she goes back to NOLA, and they aren’t quite authentic enough for her, but they’re about the best she knows that are still open. She said her favorite authentic places (like Bayou and Jaque’Imo’s) have all closed.

I used to like this place called Louisiana, down by Broadway just north of Houston, but I suspect it closed long ago. Bayou on 125th closed.

My own websearch for Cajun food turned up this, if it’s a help: http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/all-areas/all-neighborhoods/cajun-creole/

^ Respect. Can’t be too careful, I don’t trust yelp anymore after my experience on Saturday. On the bright side I’m out a whoppin $9.29 for that meal.

I’m a recent convert to Peruvian food. How is it that I didn’t know about this deliciousness until recently???

There’s this nice Peruvian restaurant on 102 and Amsterdam Ave called Warique. Cheap lunch, really good stuff. I like the Causa Rellena and the Aji de Galina combo. $8 plus tax and tip. Yum!

Another good Peruvian restaurant is Panca, down in the village, but it’s more expensive.

Finally, got to try the Lomo Saltado at Flor de Mayo. There are two on the west side. So delicious it has got to be really bad for you.

I don’t know how their food isn’t a big international cuisine, it’s amazing

I got a big ol’ brisket from my butcher that I plan on killing tomorrow. Gotta come correct and smoke it in the Weber (sorry Greenie, I’m not bling blinging like you with the Big Green Egg!).

Probably just get some off the shelf BBQ sauce. But I’m stoked. Update to follow.