Mars

That seems consistent with the other posts you’ve made.

But a lot of people care about a more abstract future, which is - I think - one of the reasons we are driven to explore.

Which part? Admitting we actually do need a government or getting kicked out of a government facility?

(Or iteracom not caring about the fate of the human species if he’s not around to see it?)

I was commenting on itera’s position immediately above.

I missed the post (other than the one in this thread) where you say you need government for space travel stuff. Though I can see how you might connect it to national security or humanity’s security or something. That’s an interesting position I didn’t expect you to take. Interesting.

I think if we’re making earth ininhabitable, I’d rather fix earth. Mars is far from habitable. Extreme temperatures, thin atmosphere, extensive solar radiation etc etc. Being on Mars won’t protect you from a gamma ray burst… Even uninhabitable earth is way better than Mars.

First, this colony should explore are there oil, gold, diamonds, uranium reserves. If so, it should be absolutely exploited. So, the answer is - Yepp, we can expect human colony there latter in this century.

Itera has a point. If you’re going to die in a cataclysmic event, who cares if the human race continues?

People that have kids.

Why are you in so many post offices is the real question

Only if your kids make it on there.

lol and none of the plebs on here would get their kids on the space craft. Every congressman/woman and person with a billion to spare would have their kid on there for sure. Sadly while setting up a new colony, I doubt the finance industry is a priority.

Not necessarily. If we started colonizing Mars and/or the Moon now and everything is fine for another, say, 500 years, it could be as easy as taking a flight to Denver (no idea why I picked Denver). If the Earth was going to blow up in 2 years, yes, you’re most certainly correct.

Trying to get a god damn passport. Mine expired a while ago and I need a new one for an upcoming vacation. I checked what post offices accept applications but since they’re swamped with holiday stuff most of them suspended passport servicing but failed to say so online.

The first place told me to go to the second place, but they only had the application but wouldn’t accept it (this is where I started getting really mad) and told me to go to a third post office that’s 35 minutes from my house. After waiting an hour in line, I was told they wouldn’t accept my old passport because it’s “damaged.” Damn thing has some wear and tear but no way I’d consider it damaged. That’s when I flew off the handles and may or may not have committed a felony.

This started out as something I was going to do over lunch. Ended up taking half the day. Now I have to find my birth certificate, which I’m sure I won’t so I’m ordering a new one right now. Still pissed.

^^ ugh sorry to hear, always so frustrating dealing with stuff like that. I was lucky the first one I went to was able to do it for me a year or so ago when I needed one. Had to run and make copies like 3 times during it but that was my own fault for not reading directions properly.

Hooker stole his wallet.

This is true, but incomplete. There is a glaring omission.

There is a greater than zero percent chance that there is intelligent alien life out there in the universe, and that its technology exceeds our own. This means that there is a chance that we could have “Independence Day”-type warfare engaged upon the earth at any given time. It is imperative that we learn to defend ourselves from these would-be invaders.

That’s why I signed the petition to build a Death Star that the current administration foolishly disregarded.

I however INSIST that before any sort of Death Star become a reality, there be some sort of tube that will be accessible through a trench that would allow one to destroy said Death Star. It’s only common sense.

In about 4 billion years, the sun is expected to run out of nuclear fuel and swell to the size of a red giant. It’s not clear whether the new size would engulf the Earth’s orbit or just make the surface of the sun blisteringly nearby. So if we haven’t colonized by then, humanity will definitely expire.

Though it’s more likely that humanity will be over by then. Best case, we will have mutated into another species - perhaps one more suited to space travel.

Of course right around that time, the Andromeda Galaxy is supposed to come crashing into the Milky Way galaxy, and we might get ejected into intergalactic space too. That would be quite a show.

Here is an imaginative article about the death of the Sun. Hopefully we will be colonizing by then.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/what-the-death-of-the-sun-will-look-like-471796727

I was really disappointed to learn how incredibly boring the “collision” between the milky way & andromeda will be. I was expecting total carnage but as I have learned recently it wil just be 2 objects mostly passing through each other with some gravitational forces swinging some starts around.

Yeah, it’s a testiment to how big space is. The distance between stars is so huge, even when to massive galaxies collide, there will likely be no actual wreckage. Eventually, the two supermassive black holes will probably merge or spin off one another. That would be pretty cool to see.

The gravitational whackings could be extreme though. It might be lonely in intergalactic space.

Thanks, Obama.

[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMNlt2FnHDg]