Music festivals

You certainly seem to run with a well-efficient group of people. Back in my partying days my friends and I were just giant bags of trash and we’d blackout really quickly, chaos would ensue… luckily no one died. I can’t imagine extending that over a 3-4 day event in the outdoors.

It’s odd, I actually don’t see many camelbak’s there in photos from the event, they’re ubiquitous at most EDM events. I’d still take one.

EDC Las Vegas you have hotels (this is more like Electric Forest), but EDC LV I’ve heard from many is basically the PhD of partying. You contend with 115 degree daytime temperatures and 100 degree night time temperatures on an asphalt speedway while going hard dusk till dawn for three days straight alongside about 125k people per day. The average morning you get about 5 hours sleep until noon then go to pool parties with the DJ’s before grabbing a bite and heading back to the main event. Going through that a few times helps you develop a system.

I’ve grown to hate stag do’s, been to 3 so far this year and I’m just too old for it now. Combining that with a festival sounds like a recipe for some Lord of the Flies level shit to go down.

My advice would be, get stuck in on day 1. don’t resist it, jump in with 2 feet and embrace the fact that you will be thoroughly debased over the 4 days. look at it as a challenge.

Alcohol is your friend. day 1, drink slowly to start with but ratchet it up so you’re off your nut by the time you pass out to sleep. The next morning will be the tough part, give yourself an hour or so to compose yourself and then get back on the booze, day 2 is easier because by this point your liver is already angry and you can start packing in the booze at a steady pace without getting the heady drunk you did on day 1. This will be important because you’ll need to keep up with the pace of the group or you risk becoming the group bitch. By day 3 you’ll be so pickled that you won’t care about being dirty.

What the north americans should understand is that this isn’t Coachella, there will be no glamour, just repressed British people acting like animals in a rainy field for 4 days. The festivals I went to when I was younger, it was considered a win if you got through to the end without some random person shitting in your tent.

EDC LV, Electric Forest, Ultra, etc etc etc. I shuttled some Brits and a group of Aussies back from EDC this year basically saying they couldn’t handle the festival and it was much more hardcore than either Tomorrowland or Hardstyle festivals in AUS. Rash generalization there.

Pokhim, regarding dress, standard attire is usually light weight (almost swimsuit material) shorts, I prefer going commando if it’s hot out. Tank top or t shirt, really light weight sneakers.

Twice the Man, you going to RockFest next weekend?

LOLS!

Interesting, probably southern English.

in terms of festival stories.

One of the 1st festivals I went to when I was about 16, we went way too hard the 1st night in the campsite even before any bands or music took to the stage. We somehow got back to our tent after probably causing all sorts of trouble and all 8 or 9 of us passed out in our 4 man tent. During the night the tent had collapsed due to our half assed attempt to put it up but we were all too drunk to notice until it started to pish down with rain and we all woke up essentially getting water boarded by our own tent. we literally spent over 30 frantic minutes to get out of the tent, trying to find the door to unzip and then just resorting to trying to rip it open. Everyone else found this hilarious. it was brutal.

We damaged it irreparably so we didn’t have a tent for the rest of the festival. it rained all weekend.

You’re in the US now, easy trip for you to see for yourself at EDC next year. Beer sales are low there, I think we’re talking about very different festival experiences. I keep hearing people talking about how crazy they were that time they got drunk, haha.

Be sure to bring baby powder for your nether regions. Not joking.

Another time I was with my 5 best mates at a festival and we were a bit older and wiser, taking it easy. We’d had the breakfast of champions, a can of tennants and a special muffin. For the 1st time in recorded history, it was a sunny at a Scottish festival and we found an awesome spot at the top of an incline with a great view of the main stage in the distance. We lay down and watched Manu Chao in the glorious sunshine having a blast.

Then it kicked in, 1 guy freaked and went home (he called his mum, that still makes me laugh) and the rest of us fell asleep. Woke up hours later surrounded by a thin crowd watching the main stage who had very politely left a circle where the 5 of us were lying. I’ve never been as confused in my life.

Needless to say we were massively sunburnt. what made it worse was my mate of Punjabi origin thought it was hilarious that the pasty goras were burnt to a crisp and he spent the rest of the weekend slapping our sunburn as “payback for the Raj”

mmmm baby powder.

that’s hilarious!!

If you do MDMA a few days in a row you will drain all your bodies serotonin and can get hit with a nasty case of depression afterwards or worse with something like seotonin syndrome. MDMA metabolizes into many things, a small portion of which are also neurotoxic so its recommended to do once every few months for best effect & safety. You can do it 2 of 3 nights of a festival though and you’ll be fine. Do nights 1& 3 and youll be cool, just dont do all 3 you will build tolerance and need to do more which is obviously worse.

I have decided to go on thursday and come back on Sunday. That is 3 nights of carnage.

I have Monday off work too…so will use that to finish off the garden renovations in time for my TV appearance

This.

I’ve never been to a proper EDM festival but went to plenty of weekend long raves back in the day. Doing E at a festival always seemed like a recipe for disaster. When i was in my drugs phase we were doing it to get as mashed as possible so the thought of spending 3 days in a field in the sun doing drugs seemed like a bad combo. We would never have been responsible enough to skip the 2nd day or to not drink will pinging or to not mix drugs.

Only time I went to anything close to an EDM festival (was just called Dance back then) was 1 NYE and I ended up in a fucking K hole and my mates dumped me in the back of the car. Main thing I remember before that point was the number of people getting taken off in ambulances after taking too much g. not good times.

The E is significantly stronger these days, but fortunately with the more open nature of the festivals K has pretty much left the mainstream scene.

IS THIS YOU?!? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57PlVm7hALA