Recommended Books to Read

^ Bleh. Wasn’t a fan of the book. I find Gladwell boring and pandering to his followers. Some of the points he makes as a big relevation are kind of “ok, so what,” to me. I’m sure his follows do a big “ohhh, ahhh” for them though.

Some of the research is interesting, I’ll give him that. It may be enlighening to the Itera crowd who think outcomes are 100% dependant only on hard work and innate god given talent. But probably not that interesting for the folks that know how things really shuffle out.

Anybody already read “More Money Than God” by Mallaby about the development of Hedge Funds? Bought it as holiday reading…

mr men. mr tickle cracks me up.

Anyone read Flash Boys yet? I heard an interview on CBC radio last night about it, sounds a lot more interesting than I originally had assumed.

I ordered this new CFAI book about acco unting fraud in Asia and how to detect it. Did anyone give it a glance yet?

I am late to the game but 4 hour work week by Tim Ferriss.

I read the german edition three months ago, imho a good read though I might have missed some terms that may have worked better in original language. The description is not too technical, and Lewis is able to create a certain suspense. Gave a good insight into this dark pool topic which is still an contemporary issue…

I’ll start reading anti-fragile soon.

I’ve heard that all his books are the same concept worded differently, is this true? Which one was the most “enlightning” and complete?

That’s interesting. I really liked Outliers whereas I struggled to finish Fooled by Randomness. Taleb has an elephant-sized ego that drips from every sentence he writes. A lot of the content is interesting no doubt, but the tone he uses I find really off-putting.

^ Taleb has a huge ego. I just ignore it. But if you can’t, then it would be a frustrating read. ^^ I think Fooled was the best, followed by Anti-Fragile. Black Swan is kind of both combined. He gets progressively more egotistical as he goes though.

I love how Taleb believes if a writer has to research a subject ,he shouldn’t be writing about that subject, and therefore, apologizes for his errors in advance.

The tone of Fooled didn’t bother me at all. But, then again, I’m more entertained by ego than put off by it. Maybe because mine is not very fragile.

I use the book to measure my colleagues. If they don’t “get” it, at least I know what I’m dealing with.

I even went and checked out the cafe he mentions frequently.

I read it and thought it was ok. I would recommend “thinking fast & slow” over outliers

anyone use Audible for audio books? wondering if it’s worth the cost. do you own the books you download, or do you just get to rent them for the month?

Fooled by Randomness is the only book I failed to finish after starting it. That says more about Taleb than me.

I did and severely disliked it. But I’m pretty drunk right now and can’t remember why.

Just read The Global Life, which is the autobiiography of James Wolfensohn, the former president of the World Bank. Excellent read!! Just picked up Titan, the biography of John D Rockefeller…

The Obstacle is the Way was a really good read. I’m going to have to read more on Stoicism.

“How to Good-Bye Depression: If You Constrict Anus 100 Times Everyday. Malarkey? or Effective Way?”

I think constricting anus 100 times and denting navel 100 times in succession everyday is effective to good-bye depression and take back youth. You can do so at a boring meeting or in a subway. I have known a 70-year-old man who has practiced it for 20 years. As a result, he has a good complexion and has grown 20 years younger. His eyes sparkle. He is full of vigor, happiness and joy. He has neither complained nor born a grudge under any circumstance. Furthermore, he can make #### three times in succession without drawing out.

In addition, he also can have burned a strong, beautiful fire within his abdomen. It can burn out the dirty stickiness of his body, release his immaterial fiber or third attention, which has been confined to his stickiness. Then, he can shoot out his immaterial fiber or third attention to an object, concentrate on it and attain happy lucky feeling through the success of concentration.

If you don’t know concentration, which gives you peculiar pleasure, your life looks like hell.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/331807.How_to_Good_Bye_Depression?ac=1

The 10,000 Year Explosion: How Civilization Accelerated Human Evolution

I’m re-reading American Psycho, which, now that I think about it, explains a few things about my behavior over the last couple weeks. My tan has never looked better though.