Robin Williams Dead

I’m guessing you’re not married. Correct me if I’m wrong.

But you have no idea how much impact your wife will have on your career and business success. A whole lot more than you (or she) realize. Even WB says that the best investment he ever made was in his wedding rings.

Don’t hack the sack. Just kill yourselves. Both of you.

Star Wars is not really sci fi. It’s more like a fantasy western that is set in space. There are no real science concepts explored in Star Wars. The main concept in the series is essentially magic.

This is why many people can like Star Wars but not like Star Trek. Star Trek is a real science fiction show. How can you have a TV series about space ships armed with lasers, but then have a whole episode where people talk about politics? It’s like if I go see Guardians of the Galaxy but accidentally go to the theater showing the King’s Speech.

Not sure if anyone has seen the pilot for the original Star Trek series. That was a very cerebral episode and explored such concepts as the difference between perception and reality. However, the TV studio (probably rightfully) determined that this episode was too complicated for US audiences. The subsequent series was more action and pop culture oriented.

I’d rather pull a Robin Williams (too soon?) than watch Star wars, Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter.

But if you have not seen any of those movies, how do you know if they are bad or good?

I had mentioned fantasy before I edited my post and put sci fi instead. The reason I did so is because I googled the best fantasy movies of all-time and there were a bunch of movies I liked on that list, including but not limited to:

The Green Mile

Big Fish

Ratatouille

Up

GroundHog Day

Benjamin Button

The only time I actually fell asleep at a movie theatre (literally) was for Lord of the Rings. Don’t remember which one it was, but 1 hour into the movie I just crashed. Years later, Lord of the Rings movie was on TV (don’t remember which one) and I really tried for 20 minutes before switching to curling.

It’s because of communal property law in California (and most of the Southwest and West).

It’s interesting you say this. In Snowball it talks about how WB could barely take care of himself without a woman. Dirty home, ate bad food, etc. Later, she moves away and introduces him to some other woman who basically becomes his wife over the next 40 years (but not really). Not exactly standard.

I never was into Star Trek growing up, but I watched some of TOS a few years ago. I actually liked the pilot more than the rest of the show. I made it reasonably far into the series before I gave up, but I could only watch like two episodes of TNG before giving that up.

i fell asleep 3 times during lord of the rings…worst fuking movie ever

I think it has more to do with the fact that the laws originated from a time when women had zero earning potential so unless they got some money from the husband they would be trapped in the marriage no matter what.

^ It’s like unions. The balance of power has shifted to the other side and it’s time for the legal system to adjust to the new reality.

it still comes back to age, because if she was young and tender again, she could land another husband with earnings potential. earnings wouldn’t matter.

TNG season one and parts of two are very mediocre. It grew into it’s own after that but kinda dips again after 5th if i recall correctly.

I didn’t get too heavily into Star Trek but I’ve seen a fair amount of TNG episodes. I found most of them to be entertaining with only two really big turn-offs. 1) When Troi went from wearing a short dress to a full suit; and 2) anytime Data went evil/malfunctioned/or otherwise got nerfed.

Well, I saw Star Wars but couldn’t remember a damn thing besides that goblin lookalike and that dialogue ‘I am your father’ because I was too young. I have it now and the problem is it is so old it is impossible to watch it. The sounds that come out of the spaceship resemble the sounds that used to come from Atari consoles. Terrible.

Trying to force myself through ep 4 and then it will hopefully get easier for 5 and 6. LOTR was absolutely stunning and isildurrr is not a reference to that character dammit, it has too many fecking r’s.

^I know of no other Isildur…ever. Regardless of how many R’s are in it.

And I probably wouldn’t like Star Wars nearly as much if I watched it for the first time now. I have a hard time getting into older movies, regardless of how “revolutionary” or “great” they were 30 years ago. (The French Connection comes to mind, here.)

I still think the borg episodes were the best.

The distinguishing feature of TNG is that Patrick Stewart can turn even the crappiest script into something palatable. Since there are so many episodes in that series, some of the plots are pretty good, while others seem to have been written by baboons. But all are at least watchable.

The biggest disappointment in the series is that all the women cast members were at MILF age at the beginning of the show. After season 10 or whatever, it started getting weird.

Exhibit A: Masterminds