Running

^ you mean unless you crash into a tree or eaten by a bear?

j/k…

Getting chased by bears is part of the workout. Actually my scariest moment in the backcountry was literally running into an elk on a downhill xc skiing. I crashed right into the side of it. I thought it was going to kill me for sure. But it stood there stunned and took off after a few seconds.

Thanks Palantir, yes… And I am told even applying a bit of moisturizing lotion before long runs is beneficial.

Thanks, yes I am doing one day a week of cross training. I sometimes cycle in the gym or go swimming. I am a very light sleeper generally but after a swim I sleep for 8 solid hours :slight_smile:

^ Combine that with weight training and you’ll look like a million bucks.

You all are pansies.

so whats the deal with the Indian? Is he ready for the half?

I’m trying to go from twice the man to something closer to 1.5 times the man. Perhaps 1 and 3/8. At any rate, I’ve been hitting the gym 6-7 days a week and doing a ton of cardio with 2 days a week of lifting. I’ve been doing 1 running day a week, with the other cardio on elliptical because I’ve had recurring metatarsal stress fractures every time I start a running program. On Saturday morning, I ran a little over 3 miles. I’m not certain, but I believe that was the longest I’ve ever run without stopping. Sort of pathetic at 32 to have never run that far at once, but I did it in just under 25 minutes, so I’m already ahead of most everyone who intentionally runs a 5k. I’m down from 360 to the mid 330’s in around 5 weeks, which is impressive until you re-read the sentence and see that I started at 360.

Bro, if I had never joined the Marines, I’m sure that 3 miles would be a lot farther than anything I’ve ever run. And to be honest, that’s probably the case with most people. I bet 80% of the people in the US have never run three miles.

And 25 minutes is pretty good for three miles.

Twice the man, you are 330 lbs and can run a 5k in under 25 minutes? I am calling bullshit on this.

I’m quite tall, so I’m not your typical fat guy. I’m built like an NFL OL(big chest, big thighs, a large but somewhat solid gut), and despite looking very little like him, have been mistaken for former Viking/Raven Matt Birk* on 2 separate occassions when lifting weights at his old high school here in St Paul. At 6’6, I’m fat, but not super sloppy, and I was quite active even before getting back into the gym on a daily basis. I’ve been doing regular cardio work for a long time at home on my elliptical, I put a lot of miles on my bike during the summer months, and as I said, I’m at the gym every day now doing 45-60 minutes of cardio alternating between some endurance days, some intervals, some “hill” programs on the machines, etc.

I’m fat because I spent a decade eating like a garbage dumpster, but I never really stopped working out completely, so I’ve always maintained a semi-respectable level of base athleticism. I’m hoping to get into shape before I get too old to make that claim of semi-respectability.

* Matt Birk before he lost all his weight and turned super scary looking.

^ A 330lbs man running a 25min 3 mile is probably a minor seismic event. Kudos to you if you hit that time. It would be an impressive sight.

Running isn’t good for your joints and knees.

Running with proper form is perfectly fine for your knees. It will actually help strengthen a lot of the supporting ligaments. Keep those strides short so your feet are beneath you and you’re not heel striking and you’ll be fine. Running at shorter distances faster is good for this. Now that I don’t do long distances anymore I focus on doing 3 miles below 18 mins as a part of my workout. But before I was in shape to do that I started at 7 min splits and just ran for as long as I could maintain that pace. From there I just gradually increased the pace rather than the distance. I don’t know if that might help.

Thanks for the inputs black swan…

Thats exactly what I am doing. One day on the weekend of long run and 3 shorter runs during week days. One shorter runs is interval training, one is just slow paced and the third run to increase pace.

18 mins for 3 miles - ho!!! I am presently at 29 minutes :)) Hope to reach 25 minutes for 3 miles (soon)…

Nevertheless its way better than smoking 25 cigs a day for me :slight_smile: Interestingly I havent touched one cig for the past 1 month and hopefully dont need to touch one again. Atleast now, I dont have the CFA L3 exam to blame for smoking :slight_smile:

Working out is a great way to get away from smoking because it naturally eases off the stress. I used to smoke, not a lot but like 2 packs a week for a period of about six years then just randomly quit one day when I got tired of it and realized it was making me feel worse rather than better. Good luck and have fun! If working out starts to feel routine, don’t be afraid to switch it up with different types of workouts.

Weighing 360lbs is 1000x worse for your knees than running. You might also look around your office and notice those limping around and taking the elevators are more often those with sedentary lifestyles than the person who ran too much in their life. Also, the argument its bad for you is simply bunk.

What? You weigh 300+ pounds? What’s wrong with you?

I’m glad I’m not of the hacksawed variety.

running at 29 minutes a 5k? You will not break a 2 hour half at that rate.

Let me put the 18 or 29 minutes in perspective.

The Marine Corps Physical Fitness Test has a 3-mile run. (A 5k is 3.1 miles.) A perfect score is 18 minutes, and the minimum to pass is 28 minutes.