Running

^Anyone who can do three 6 minute miles back to back to back is pretty impressive in my book. I’d be happy doing one 6 minute mile.

I take it some of you have successfully managed recurring shin spilts?

In track we just got used to running through them for a season at a time. If you’re not under some pressure to not take time off, you can always take a few weeks off (while still exercising but not running) and then try to run on softer surfaces. Or you can just power through and hope your body catches up. You can probably do non-impact stuff like eliptical as a good middle ground.

Yes, thank you.

Right now the plan is to just power through and hope the body catches up while following the recommended technique of rest, ice, compressiond and elevation.

Fingers crossed that no lasting damage comes from it.

There are other ways to lose the fat. Swimming is on top of the list.

That’s pretty good. What’s your PR for a 5k race?

My target is to break a half in 2 hours and 15 minutes. I still have a month to go, so hoefully I can achieve my target.

Thanks Greenman… This puts my fitness in perspective. I am atleast happy, I am not far off 28 minutes, which is an acceptable limit :slight_smile:

I’ve never run a 5k.

Zidhai,

As former trader said, swimming and eliptical might be good options until your shins recover.

I would take a break from running, do some strength training and some stretching, then get back to it.

Yeah, if you’re not competing then just do something low impact for a week and get back to it. The main thing for you is to get your heart rate up and get you breathing hard. You are not specialized enough at running for the practice of running to really matter. If you have a bike, ride it. If you have access to a pool swim. If you don’t have either, do 5 rounds alternating of 30 squats/30 push ups (on knees if necessary). Then in a week get back to running.

I have a pulled calf right now from my last run and I’ve just been lifting (no squat) and rowing.

copied the indian and did my first half marathon on Saturday. Ran a cool 1:43 on a hilly course with 5 weeks training. Now I am addicted to this crap I think. Looking for other halfs early next year already.Thinking of doing a full marathon next year as well.

There are some real fitness nuts at these events and more chicks than guys(the largest demographic was women in the 20-29 age category and 90% crackers). Some of the chicks are running these halfs in 1:30.

Nice, Philly? That was not too far from me this weekend.

On swimming: I now have access to a 25m pool. What are some good swimming workouts?

Congrats – not bad. I can see a 1:30 in your future with consistent training, a fast course and a well run race.

im not sure about workouts - I just swim 30 laps or something

I would recommend these Aqua Sphere Seal goggles : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J2CF60Q/ref=twister_B000EORGXQ

they come in all colors and lenses. I have black ones with dark black lenses for beach swimming.

The rule of thumb is 50 laps.

^ Give me 250km on a bike, but 50 laps would be the death of me. Hell 25 laps would be awful. Swimming is f’in hard.

Congratz! 1:43 in just 5 weeks of training on a hill course!!! Waav, thats some achievement. Good luck for the future runs.

50 laps or lengths? What’s a good time to shoot for after some training?