Students from Hackshaw colleges may not be losers....

Or just prove your talent. What’s with the Indian fascination with credentials? Its worse than even the stupid Canadian fascination with professional designations.

Isn’t it a violation of the CFA Standads to claim that the designation “proves your talent”?

This is one thing i noticed about other cultures (India, China, and parts of Russia), they value the credentials over results. Bottom line - if you are a producer/deal maker/alpha creator - you’ll have no problem in life. The real question is what is making it? Is it defined by total comp, if so what is that value? Is it a mix of toal comp and work/life balance? Is it doing what you love (i laugh at this bc finance is not a single person’s true passion)?

I myself have been caught up in a quasi assembly line of prototypical rats within the rat race. Go to college, work for x amount of years and acquire exp, get charter during this period, go back to b-school, become a partner or a manager, work for 20+ more years, retire and live through your kids. Is this making it?

The more i think about my future career, the more depressed i get.

I’m thinking the same. There’s some sort of cultural disconnect, here.

I actually see a Charter as more valuable when an American has it than when a Chinese or Indian dude has it. For the former, it signals a self-starter who will take on challenges. For the latter, it just signals an eagerness to please the parents.

Hey RR. Can you look up “sarcasm” in the dictionary and tell me what it says?

this whole thread is useless. yes you will find hacksaw folks in high positions, just like how a new lucky person will win the powerball lottery every couple weeks and become instantly rich.

so what?

the real question rahul roy, is: why don’t do an experiment by going to a mega hacksaw school and then get hired into a super elite competitive company. try it, then report back to us how easy it was.

I’m waiting for the No Good Scottsman fallacy to emerge.

Weren’t you recently complaining about how poor your candidate pool at your super elite competitive company was? Are you resorting to interviewing hacksaws, or are the Ivies just not cutting it?

… cue for former trader talking about the concept he single-handedly invented: the “lost generation.”

@everyone

I think out of all the guys who come here I go to the hacksawest school where they rub salt on the saw to make it more painful.I CAN BET WITH CONFIDENCE THAT MY SCHOOL IS MEGA HACKSAW SO GUYS I GUESS I HAVE TO DO TRIPLE THE JOB OF EVERYONE ELSE

^ good job

Brother just get the CFA certification …work for few years and then do MBA from IVY league…You will surely rock…all the best…

hamster wheel

I knew it was a sarcastic comment …

Unless Google changed their policy recently, they care. I know a woman who is an internal recruiter for Google and she told me they have a specific list of schools they hire from and if you aren’t on the list, too bad. Apparently Brown is on the list because that’s where she went to school, which makes me question how good the list could really be, but nevertheless, there is a list.

I went to a middle of the road school and I just pitch it as The Harvard of [region where the school is]. People give me a pass after that because I said Harvard.

says the guy who only looks at top 2 programs and wonders where all the quality candidates went.

I don’t know about other countries…but in India a mega hackshaw grad with Indian CA has a very good chance to get hired in a good firm…

If some one went to hackshaw school for his undergrad then is life over for him??There must be something that can be done to reduce the adverse “hackshaw effect”…like perhaps passing CFA/CPA or doing master from IVY league…

cvm clearly supported RR’s point. i haven’t seen misunderstood satire this bad since the bush admin invited colbert to speak at a white house dinner

For real now…

Brown is an Ivy League school. USNWR (for what it’s worth) ranks it as the #16 school in the nation. How is that not a top school?

Ehhh Brown is Ivy but it’s the crappiest of the Ivies. It is known.

I, for one, would never hire you because you’re clearly severely retarded.

I think it’s obvious that this is specific to India. You’re trying to break out of the third world and come to America and nobody here will hire you unless you manage to go to Harvard or something, first. So go ahead and tailor this nonsense to an appropriate audience. It doesn’t apply to Americans.

Tim Cook went to a school ranked 103rd in the nation and now he’s the CEO of the most valuable company in the world. We care about performance, not letters or academic pedigree. Ours is not a caste system.