Telescopes

Ok, so i moved to burbs and sky is pretty clear here. Worth getting a telescope, or you wont’ be able to see anything interesting and it very much depends on your positioning?

whatever floats your boat

If you’ve seen one space thing through an amateur telescope, you’ve seen them all…

If you live east coast, the burbs aren’t even very dark. Will be poor for astronomy. http://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html

Nice map. Wow i guess i do live almost in the brightest spot… who knew…

Dark site finder? Otherwise known as the rape hotspot finder?

The map is sort of interesting though. Why is the east half of the US so bright compared to the west half? Is population density really so different?

Also interesting to compare North Korea and South Korea…

Does that map change over the course of the day? Seems very odd that there’s basically a line right down the middle of the US where it goes from bright to dark. 9:06 ET when I looked.

It’s the population density difference, west and mid west is so much less populated. I do a lot of the meteor shower stuff that doesn’t require a telescope but have always thought a nice one would be cool for planetary stuff. The geminids and perseids are a lot of fun and highly recommended to you city folk. Get a date and some wine and find a good spot (top of a local ski mountain in summer or something like that), there’s usually a small crowd hanging out but it’s always worth doing.

That dark pocket in West Virginia is ominous as hell. Northern Maine. Kentucky hills. *shudder*

Assume it’s like the first season of True Detective.