The decision

What do you want to get out of the MBA program? What are you doing currently?

Chuckrox8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Shit, when did you apply? Sep 13

Congrats CSK!!!

Langone MBA will definitely help with the IT management track. Congrats CSK! :slight_smile:

http://online.wsj.com/public/page/business-schools.html?mg=inert-secaucus-wsj

NYU gave me only 3 weeks to decide! I want to hear more opinions

Everyone here is biased by their own experiences and current jobs. I doubt that *more* opinions will help. You need opinions that are relevant to your situation. For instance, ask your superiors in the company if they will value this degree.

Part time NYU is ridiculously easy (intentionally) I know part timers there now… they don’t know jack about finance, and you can walk into the exams, bomb them and finish the course with a B. One co-worker (VP at Morgan Stanley + NYU MBA part timer) didn’t know what key rate duration was. very sad. BUT as soon as you change to full time (undergrad or grad) It becomes a whole new ball game, and you got to work your butt off. odd. but that’s how it works

iteracom Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Part time NYU is ridiculously easy (intentionally) > I know part timers there now… they don’t know > jack about finance, and you can walk into the > exams, bomb them and finish the course with a B. > > One co-worker (VP at Morgan Stanley + NYU MBA part > timer) didn’t know what key rate duration was. > very sad. > > BUT as soon as you change to full time (undergrad > or grad) It becomes a whole new ball game, and you > got to work your butt off. > > odd. but that’s how it works Yeah, i heard similar feedback from couple of people… :frowning:

Anyone else applied to Stern part-time Spring?

iteracom Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Part time NYU is ridiculously easy (intentionally) > I know part timers there now… they don’t know > jack about finance, and you can walk into the > exams, bomb them and finish the course with a B. > > One co-worker (VP at Morgan Stanley + NYU MBA part > timer) didn’t know what key rate duration was. > very sad. > > BUT as soon as you change to full time (undergrad > or grad) It becomes a whole new ball game, and you > got to work your butt off. > > odd. but that’s how it works is it possible for people to change from PT to FT in the program?

BiPolarBoyBoston Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > iteracom Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Part time NYU is ridiculously easy > (intentionally) > > I know part timers there now… they don’t know > > jack about finance, and you can walk into the > > exams, bomb them and finish the course with a > B. > > > > One co-worker (VP at Morgan Stanley + NYU MBA > part > > timer) didn’t know what key rate duration was. > > very sad. > > > > BUT as soon as you change to full time > (undergrad > > or grad) It becomes a whole new ball game, and > you > > got to work your butt off. > > > > odd. but that’s how it works > > is it possible for people to change from PT to FT > in the program? 99% no

part time MBA works best if you are in a job where you just want to stay in the same company and climb up the ladder. And the only thing stopping you from climbing is a graduate degree. In this case, then yes, go for the part time MBA. If your goal is to get out, change careers, change from back office to front office, a part-time MBA will not help you much. It’s not a secret. A part time student cannot compete with a full timer in terms of time/effort/learning commitments. Firms know this, which is why full timers get ALL top picks when on-campus recruiting comes along. Part timers get the leftovers or none at all.

Plus, many PT programs require that your company submits written permission for you to participate in on-campus recruiting.

also forgot, if your company is helping pay for your PT MBA, you will almost definitely be required to sign some kind of document saying you can’t leave for a few years or you will have to repay the company what they paid for your tuition.

Ok lets take a final vote. Just post your vote and i will announce my decision live on analyst forum sometimes next week. Stay tuned

This announcement will be bigger than LeBron’s. I say you donate the proceeds to charity.

No, not if you have to foot the bill yourself. No material change on your career, cost 150k, and 3yrs of an extra 10-15hrs of work a week. Why not a MFin? Its only 1yr, half the price, and a nice career move.

Congrats. GO, it’s a no brainier! MBA in IT industry is king, people do MBA to leave this industry, you are doing to stay in it, you’ll definitely be a prized possession for IT teams in finance, given your technological skills and domain knowledge, this MBA would be KO!

former trader Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > This announcement will be bigger than LeBron’s. > I say you donate the proceeds to charity. +5 do it, obviosuly you applied for a reason. i wish i had a quality pt program like that to go to. ps - since obama views me as ‘charity,’ i demand half.