The term "correction"

My thinking has evolved since my posts of a year ago, although I’d add that just because we can’t decide what temperature cool switches to warm and vice versa doesn’t mean that the words “cool” and “warm” are useless words. It just means that people who scream “cool” and “warm” at each other without acknowledging that there is a place where they potentially overlap or blur are silly.

My thinking lately is that “Correction” means that there is a (usually downwards) adjustment that is markedly larger than ordinary day-to-day noise but which has few if any spillover effects onto the real economy… i.e. it’s medium and long-term effects are limited to asset markets. “Crash” is something where it becomes pretty reasonable to expect to feel economy-wide impacts from things like lost wealth affecting aggregate demand, default rates rising markedly, major decreases in capex spending and future growth because capital just got a lot more expensive, etc…

Where that number as a percentage figure lies is not an exact science, nor should we expect it to be, but “correction” basically means that you don’t think the real economy will be affected noticeably, and “crash” means you think that a reasonably informed layperson who doesn’t have investments (so isn’t directly affected) but does have a job or business in the real economy will notice the effects.

Another way to cut it is to think about it is whether a passive investor will remember the event in 3-5 years. Passive investors who are dollar cost averaging into index funds probably won’t remember corrections, because their effects will not be obvious to the portfolio after 3-5 years. However, they will remember a crash, because it will force them to re-evaluate whether they should sell everything and curl up into a ball…

It doesn’t matter what’s in the link. Anytime you post a YouTube link Never Gonna Give You Up immediately starts playing in my mind. Talk about Pavolvian.

Thanks for the link: his sleight of hand is superb.

I really enjoyed Penn and Teller’s Fool Us; they had some excellent magicians on the show.

Interestingly, I perform a version of one of the effects that did, in fact, fool Penn and Teller.

CNBC just announced that SPX is no longer in “correction territory”. So now, it is not correct.

Thanks for the update.

That was scary!

Sh*t, are you seeing this? CNBC says it’s back into correction on intraday basis!

I saw the number 4 in there somewhere. Don’t all corrections have a 4 in at least one of the digits??

Ah but that begs the question, how do you know whether there is a spillover effect onto the real economy until the medium or long-term has passed?

I think you are being a little too much of a Lit major. Down x% is down x% and that’s all there is to it. We should get rid of all of these terms IMO.

Begging the question is what lit majors do.

I’m just coming up with a criterion to figure out of the person using those words is full of sh!t or not, which is actually something useful.

Well said. Too much opinion disguised as fact in the financial media as it is.

CNBC covers the markets 80 hours a week.

If you had to talk for 80 hours a week, how much BS would you make up just to fill the air space?

^ I agree. It’s a competitive business, and more sensationalism earns more viewers. It’s just unfortunate that the public doesn’t have the attention span to process nuanced information. This is the same issue I have with political news, and why, even though it may not be popular to say, I favor a technocratic system. People that don’t want to invest the time in understanding things just shouldn’t participate in those things.

Update, 8/26 9:36 am: I checked on CNBC and was able to verify that we are in fact still in correction territory.

I know a lot of you are anxiously waiting, you’re welcome. Will provide updates as the situation develops.

But are we still in “correction” territory.

The quotation marks make all the difference, as I’m sure you’re aware.

ugh i want to gag

could someone please just tell me what to think already?

Therein (as Peter Olinto would say) lies the problem: if you’re even _ thinking _ about thinking, you’ve already lost.