To Black Swan, with love

I don’t believe this. How does my body know where my boys are swimming and whether or not they succeeded in their journey. I mean, just doing some back of the envelope math, I’ve killed approximately 7 trillion swimmers in my time, but only the luckiest crossed the finish line.

So, you’re telling me, my T levels dropped after conception or after birth? How would my body know? I’m calling complete BS on this. T levels drop after men hit their mid-30’s regardless of how many kids they’ve fathered. But impregnating a woman can’t affect your hormone levels. Doesn’t make any sense. Typical of a lefty Stanford grad.

No one said that dropping testosterone levels was a bad thing. It is just a natural thing that happens, not just with having children, but with age. If you are concerned that dropping testosterone in somehow bad or an insult to you, then perhaps this is due to some societal conditioning that promotes images of manliness and such.

Please cite a source for this.

^I thought it was common knowledge.

STL, you’re misunderstanding Ohai, he is actually correct with a large body of evidence. But its not impregnating a girl or or having a child that does it. Its raising the child. There is a steep decline in testosterone once you welcome a baby into your home. And the more hands on of a father you are the steeper those levels delcine, at least at first. Even picking up a crying baby can thats not yours can cause your T levels to drop by up to 10%. That being said, there are things that boost T levels, like diet, weight training, remaining social, etc.

For me, it’s usually my wife’s choice of movies that causes my T levels to drop.

I googled “causes of low testosterone in men” and read the first handful of pages. Children weren’t mentioned once. Then I expanded the search to “does having kids lower men’s testosterone” and sure enough, some articles pop up. This one explains it the best - http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/13/health/research/13testosterone.html. Many of the other “studies” can be easily debunked by good old correlation does not equal causation.

I’m still pretty skepitcal about this hypothesis though. Otherwise Jim Dugger would have breasts by now.

Agreed. So does body language (around 8:30): http://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your_body_language_shapes_who_you_are. Talking on the phone in the CEO pose really does make you feel like a baws.

Propecia raises T levels…

Yeah, but only because it’s a DHT blocker which basically blocks some of the body’s receptors for androgens (one of which is testosterone). As a result, testosterone can’t be used or converted so it remains in the bloodstream. So your levels increase but your body’s usage of testosterone actually falls.

But some have been done across the same group in scenarios such as holding a child and seen the direct impact. So while the correlation vs causation point has some merit there is also evidence pointing towards causation.

I believe there is some evidence of phermonal things happening. That is, constant exposure to babies and pre-adolescents may involve chemical transmissions in the air or through touch that affect these levels.

There has been research to show that young girls tend to reach puberty earlier when they are not in the regular presence of their biological fathers. What’s most interesting about this research was that the presence of a stepfather was irrelevant - if the biological father wasn’t present, female menarche and accompanying changes moved up a year or even more, on average.

One could imagine that there might be a reverse thing going on.

Of course, there might be other things going on too. Perhaps the genetic characteristics that predisposed girls to early puberty came from dad and also caused dad to do things like leave or get killed - who knows. But I think the leading explanation was that there were chemical exchanges going on.

Although I didn’t do any blood tests before or after, I feel like my T level increased when I stopped breast feeding my kids.

Not necessarily, remember it is a selective Type II inhibitor, so Type I 5AR is still available, so you are still producing DHT. Furthermore, some tissues are responsive to T rather than DHT, for example muscle. Makes me wonder if it will benefit strength training.

You of course were baggage-free at 30…

Moreso than a dating pool filled with ticking biological clocks. But yes, you also conveniently ignored the rest of the paragraph. So that was pretty manipulative… based on that behavior… let me guess, you’re unmarried and nearing 30?

Still a DHT blocker, still reduced the body’s ability to absorb T, still drives up T levels, so unlikely on all fronts. But keep trying to rationalize it.

Not to mention a large body of unpleasant potential side effects such as impotentence associated with Propecia.

^^ Why do I have feeling this thread is about to get very entertaining?

Conjecture about feminine menarche is never appropriate for this forum.

Period.

Because…propecia’s a hell of a drug.