LMAO. But yes, he is true with the most part. Everyone has resources nowadays to learn stuff but most of these people simply give up and never think ahead of paying their bills…

As a much more mature ( compared to rest of the class) undergraduate student, the way I see it %95 of students at my school are after easy courses and don’t give a crap about enrolling in courses that are high effort/high reward. I had a discussion with a girl (sterotypical college girl by all means ) who didn’t know what major to choose .

Me:Choose a major that is hard and in demand , learn something that others can’t learn.

Her: I know, I want a good job, I just don’t know what to choose :frowning:

Me:CS/Engineering are the only majors that pay well after graduation, I would have suggested accounting , but I honestly don’t know with the advances in AI and pattern recognition it won’t be automated in 5 years.

Her:Those are all hard, I want to learn something easy.I don’t like studying alot, I want to make more money.

Me:F You ( in my head) .Yeah well, go study psychology and do some research, people pay good money for anyone who is top in their field.

Her: Nah, I don’t like to study.

You guys will not believe the pain I go through every time I see these types incurring massive debt and majoring in stuff that won’t be in demand. There is so many of these types out there who are like this. I think the major problem is people fail to recognize the amount of effort one needs to go through to earn more money. The kids want a major that is easy and doesn’t require any brain power but pays well.

When I was a broker in the O&G industry , I literaly knew the different contracts word by word, I got my seafarer book to travel with Oil Tankers about 14 times and 4 month in total working in the engine department scrubbing shit of the floor just to get a close perspective on how the whole operation was done, and started learrning chemistry to understand the specifications of different products. The whole effort I went through gave me a 5-8% advantage at best. There is no magic pills out there.

Atush, believe it or not some people who barely knew me helped me alot at this forum and other places in life. I think life has a much more a give and take dynamic than simply igoring others . I made enough dough in my previous line of work to afford education in the U.S so I don’t go through debt alot. Some of these kids pay 45K a year in debt ( not factoring in the opportunity cost ) to major in information systems and end up working in a library . Also unlike you I am an undergrad and kinda serve as a big brother to some of these fellows. Anyhow, chance favours the prepared mind , no one got rich by watching netflix and drinking beer 4 hours a day.

Good catch.

1. The reason I changed my major was due to being an immigrant in the U.S .

2. I think people will have a better oppurtunity if they have a positive attitude. I don’t believe in all that think positive and the positive will come B.S but I do believe that having a negative attitude and radiance would shrink your chances even further than they actually are. People generally don’t like negative output, with no disrespect all you have done since you were here was being negative. I know you are having a hard time and all but most people who achieved anything worthwile have been in tough spots, there is no need for that attitude of being constantly negative. You should know better that the "soft skills " are as important ad the “hard skills”

3. The only reason I changed my major was that in the H1B report of 2015 around 70,000 jobs were CS/Mathematics type of gigs and around 3000 were accounting/audit. I am using the abundance of information on the web to teach myself Java and hopefully ML afterwards. Something I have learned in the U.S is if you don’t graduate from a decent university with decent grades and in an STEM field you have some chances of being sponsored for a visa.

4. I am working on a career in quant/tech roles and not the ER/IB route and I don’t mind doing further school here.

5. Itera can be as negative as he wants, I assume he is making bank. For people like you and me who are considered non-citizens right now, being thaf negative is only going to discount our character, read that dale carnegie shit again. As long as you stay negative people will try to stay away and stop the misery of you being rubbed on them.

6. Wish you the best of lu k in your job search.

@Atush- look at the US h1B report , you could have had a hire chance in the U.S with an IT background.

@Atush- look at the US h1B report , you could have had a hire chance in the U.S with an IT background.

I’m looking at it as a closed system because until we habitat a new planet with new resources, it is closed. Yes, as old jobs die off new ones in services and sky diving adventures will open up. HOWEVER, the catch is that individuals will have to support those industries. Where will the wealth come from? I see it as a potentiality. The more people the planet supports, the less potential wealth per individual. With manual labor on its way out, the service sector will be overwhelmed. If the work force in the leisure and culture sector becomes too large, it will dilute the worth of the labor. Better a smaller population with each individual having more claim on resources and wealth. They can support and services and leisure industry. Those workers will do well GIVEN the money spent in the industries is not spread against too many workers. The root of wealth will always be resources. After that it is question of how thin it will be spread.

As a side note, I don’t give two )$it about what happens to other people. However I try to look empatheic and friendly with everyone. I practise listening to the B.S of others without giving my opinion, that is how you make deals with others and show them how friendly you can be. Inside of my head ? I DONT CARE . Learn to supress your thoughts and selfish attitude when others can see you, that is how you win people, not by reading a book.

^ Most jobs suck for the first 5 years. I think you should give IT another shot. But that is just me.Most " foreign & non us citizen" CS students at my school are sponsored for their visa as long as they don’t have a shit GPA and can code in one language. No other non tech major comes within distance of this.

Believe it or not I was went through a divorce for my major switch.

" Average Job" is not a clear definition at all. There is not average job in finance. The loan officer at my university works in finance so does the GS M&A MD. Actually I am doing a double Math/CS degree and I am more interested about AI/ML than IT. Thankfully my university is very well known for the research done in the field of ML and AI. The only reason I hang around in this forum is the hindsight some guys have and the fact that I do like finance in general. I seriously am thinking about going to the Scientist route .

@ Atush

The other day I met this science nerd banker who had a phd in math from a very good U.S school ( think top 5) and had been in JPM/GS/MS for over 18 years. FYI the guy had some sort of nervous tick in his face and was complaining how he slept under 6 hours in the last 48 hours or so. The guy is making bank , you must be a fool however to think that his bank account does not have a correlation with all the sleepless nights.

so is the goal of any injun to make the most money possible in life?

No, not everyone has the resources to learn and develop. This is simply not true.

That’s the goal of most people until they are materially satisfied. I don’t think it’s solely an Indian thing. People that didn’t go without were just privileged to move up Maslow’s hierarchy at a younger age…

“I want what’s coming to me.”

“What’s coming to you, man?”

“The world, chico, and everything in it”