Undocumented crossing into Canada

I will have to agree with you on this as housing in Vancouver is crazy expensive and there are a lot more finance jobs in Toronto for example. The lifestyle in Vancouver however is a lot better than any other major city I have visited (except San Diego, I would move there in a heartbeat!)

Don’t get me wrong Vancouver is lovely, but the snail pace of life and dampness turn me off as a permanent home. Not quite ready for west coast living yet. Always enjoy my visits though.

Curious Viceroy, you seem to be a Quebecois now in Germany… can you enlighten us as to why most Quebecois seem snobby and why there is such a sense of entitlement? I am genuinely curious so try to be unbiased.

I’m fairly certain that’s Japan.

You are correct regarding your assumptions about me.

Well that’s a very complex topic but I would answer your question by saying that people in Québec are not inherently “snobby nor entitled”.

English-speakers may get that impression while it is all a matter of context, really. An English-speaker in Qc is often perceived as someone who either lives in Qc but doesn’t give a sh1t about our language, or someone from the rest of Canada who simply does not understand why we want to preserve our language and defend our differences. In any case, an intruder of sorts.

That being said there is the whole nationalistic / separatist issue, where some people hate English-speaking Canadians for being “the enemy” but this is rather rare amongst young people I would think.

English speakers who make the effort of speaking French, even if it is broken French, are usually treated very well, especially if they speak in Québécois dialect :slight_smile:

^ I visited Quebec as a tourist and was treated very well. It was a stark contrast to how French Canadians act when they descend en masse on Wildwood, NJ every summer.

Sounds like they basically act like the French, just a little more bitter since they don’t have their own country.

Ha ha, and how would that be? A bunch of savages I suppose.

Just very rude in general. They would walk right through the middle of families who were laying/sitting on the beach instead of going around, were very dismissive of waiters/waitresses in bars and restaurants, Americans stupides seemed to be their favorite phrase, etc. Fat dudes wearing nut huggers didn’t help either. I’m sure those folks were the exception, but they seemed to go out of their way to rude and seemed proud of it. As I said before, when I was in Quebec as a tourist, folks couldn’t have been nicer to us.

ROFL

The idea of ditching the rat race to a live in a log cabin in the Canadian wilderness sounds pretty appealing. Kind of like Wolverine before Sabertooth came and killed his wife while he was out lumberjacking. Also a good excuse to wear flannel shirts daily and grow out a beard without being mistaken for a hipster.

Well that’s a new term I learned today.

From my limited-moderate experience it seems there’s a difference between rural Quebec and cosmopolitan Quebec. The folks from the more rural areas are a bit rougher around the edges and have a propensity to separatism and aggressive PQing. Those might be the folks Higgs encountered.

I bring up the entitlement issue Viceroy, because we make massive transfer payments to QC every year that doesn’t line up to the revenues Quebec brings in. What’s up with that? and how come your cities and provinces are so corrupt and inefficient? (not that Ontario is efficient, but it’s not outwardly corrupt)

Didnt Toronto have Rob Ford, the national treasure?

^ Despite all the antics and entertainment he provided, he was a good mayor that did a lot for Toronto - not just the person you saw on Colbert.

^ interesting view point. What did he do for Toronto besides besmirching our good name?

I will say i read he was hard working that would stay late into the evening at the office returning phone calls to citizens making sure issues they had sent to his office were resolved. I wasnt sure how true or not that was, but was impressed to hear that.

Yeah, isn’t that the Leafs’ job?

My work here is done.

All this chit chat we see these days about illegal immigrants is nuts.

Send everyone back to their home country, done. Why are people talking about “but the immigrant’s feelings”. :sob:

Just imagining how empty the CFA test centers in the states would become.