Undocumented crossing into Canada

We had a good thread about Quebec independence (commingled with Scotland’s referendum) in this thread a few years back:

https://www.analystforum.com/forums/water-cooler/91335695

I went to the CFA Houston luncheon last week and the presentation was from the head of the institute and was talking about the geographic distribution of charterholders and candidates. He said that of the 70,000 CFA candidates in the US, 10,000 are Chinese passport holders. Now I’m not inherently surprised that they are a large proportion, but that’s a lot, and that’s just Chinese people in the US.

He also called out Canada for having (I think) the highest industry penetration of CFAs (so charterholders/“addressable market”)

These excess payments represent less than 3 % of Québec’s GDP. And I copy - paste a post I made from a thread in 2014 :

Well, what is 3% ?

1 good year of GDP growth ? And in the context of post 2008 monetary manipulation ? Please.

We still haven’t talked about federal taxes that are leaving the province. Nor the province’s contribution to federal programmes.

Of course I get your point, Geo ; I am just saying that the transfer system is not what keeps Québécois people from starving, like it is often portrayed in the federalist media. Let’s stop drinking the kool-aid for a minute.

I am not saying that Québec would be better off financially without Canada. There would be sacrifices. But the picture is a mixed one and Québec would still be better off than 75% of the world’s economies.

Where the hell is geo BTW? I used to like that dude, even if we disagreed on many things.

yeah, does someone know him in real life? tell him to drop us a note its been a while.

Also I asked similar questions to the old thread because I’ve met some more quebecois in the past 2-3 years… needed to update the thesis.

You said that you lived in TO if I am not mistaken. Are there many Quebecois over there ?

Honestly, I’m surprised its not a larger number from my sampling. It’s probably because of the region though. Go to any of the CA test centers and you will see buses dropping off hundreds of Chinese candidates and almost every other desk had that red passport.

I see a few more than before, they usually come for the finance jobs and ‘bigger city’ feel. The percentage of total population is still pretty miniscule.

^there are a lot of poutineries popping up though…coincidence?? i think not