Wedding trauma

Too many Asian girls in the US are marrying white guys, and thus depriving Asian guys of potential mates. It is like the Chinese domestic market replicated over here. However, in the past few years, I have noticed an uptrend in the frequency of Asian guys dating caucasian girls. It is time we finally take the fight to whitey and stake a claim on their women. No longer will my brethren be regarded as the small dick man of Asia, for the time for change is now.

Funny, I don’t picture you as Asian, more like canine.

Done and done.

Don’t forget the date of our Final Subjugation Plan.

Oops, said too much.

Have at it my man, take all the american women you want. please leave us fellow AFers a small sample of the foreign women living here in the states per favore.

Lol , in China all the new-money , stylish Shanghai dudes rolling up in their Panameras had no problem pulling the caucasians who were working there. In Bali , Indonesia the beach boys were cleaning house among the White tourists with little problem.

In the United States Asian-American dudes probably suffer from myopic portrayals in the media. This is not surprising , a lot of us non-whiteys tend to suffer from it too in a last ditch attempt to soothe White ego. I can’t think of any nuanced Asian-American character in American-pop culture beyond Steven Yeun . You compare this to more mature European societies and their media and you will notice various different ethnicities are much more mainstream. Not surprisingly the way they (say French-Maghrebs , German-Turks , British-Indians etc) carry themselves is in stark constrast to Asian-Americans.

Are you an Asian-American?

From your username and location I assumed you were Indian-American. We have a whole different dynamic going on. Most of the time we stay within our ethnic group but when we do date out it more often than not tends to be the male because of various factors. You’ll get a lot of attention among the East Coast ‘intelligesta’ similar to Jewish guys. This is actually predictable as we are basically becoming the new Jews of America.

On a side note , the smoothest cats in America are Latinos. Some of them are pure Rico Suave.

Hi emichan,

I hear you.

I have been there many times and I have to say, it’s always better to say no than to have second thoughts.

SAY NO TO BRIDESMAID! Why are you even a bridgesmaid when you are not even a close friend/ family member?

You are not obligated to do so and you should have turned it down by saying “sorry I’ve got other obligations already and I’m afraid I won’t be able to assist you with your wedding”.

And speaking financially, i am with you completely, the couple expects you to pay for your bridesmaid dress (which you will only wear once) and do everything as they say, and in some cases even your own lodging and flight to a destination wedding, that’s a LOT of money. This is all justified if this is a close friend or a family member, but people have to realize we have many friends, i go to at least 5 weddings a year, how much money and time can i possibly afford at each?

The gift part i am not too concern, I’d rather do gift registry (or cash) than to think of a gift idea. I don’t think people should expect others to pay for their furniture and appliances at their new homes just because they get marreid, but then culturally we gift each other at any possible opportunity, i’d rather it be smooth and effortless.

What I can’t stand is when people make a big fuss with their weddings and then end up separating after a couple of years… argh…

Another reason i don’t think being a bridesmaid is a good idea when you are not a close friend is that when you are there and you don’t know their families and other guests, you end up getting weird stares like “who are you? how are you related to this? what are YOU a bridesmaid?”

Unless they plan to stay single for a long time, single people shouldn’t worry about the cost of wedding gifts because they will get the value back when they get married themselves.

That’s a terrific shower thought. I may steal that and post it to Reddit.

All I have gathered here is that japanese people are very self-conscious and are generally uncomfortable in western-dominated environs.

Advice:

Get to the registry first. All the other peripheral friends will have bought all the lower priced items already. If there’s nothing left at your price point, give cash.

You said yes, now suck it up and do your job. Next time say no if they’re not close enough to you. Lesson learned.

The people who eat the least of the value pie are those who get married early, assuming cash gifts. All their friends are young and don’t have a whole lot of money to give, whereas those who marry later will be expected to spend more on their wedding, but also have a wider and wealthier network to draw from. The choice then really hinges on whether you want marriageless sex earlier or later in life.

This

But not this.

If anything, I’d want to spare my close friends and family the financial costs of making me feel important.

If it’s a truly horrible dress, you have a future Halloween costume. If it’s not that bad, a lot of bridesmaid’s dresses can be fairly inexpensively cut down to nice cocktail dresses.

return the damn dress after the wedding, bloomingdales and nordstroms take back anything. stop crying and whining and make the best of it

^Have you bought many bridesmaid dresses at Nordstrom’s?

That’s not even getting into wedding dresses, which are the most expensive piece of clothing in many households and are also worn only once (in fact, you can actually have the dress sealed in a box, never to be opened forever). Hate to break it to you ladies, but losing 10 pounds makes you look a lot better than a $1000 white dress (not a very slimming color either).

no i have not but i know ppl who do that

I remember Tony and Carmela checking this in an episode of The Sopranos.

I am, but first we need to form a temporary alliance with the Asian-Americans to subjugate the Euro- and African-Americans; then we turn on our allies. So I am playing the “India is in Asia” card. Elementary race war tactics dude.