Wedding trauma

See I wouldn’t do it to people because i know how bad it makes people feel. Some people over-extend their invitations so they get more gifts (or money) for their weddings…

If anything i will ask people not to spend money because coming is already teh biggest gift (and i plan to have a small wedding anyway, so close family and friends only).

I know what you mean, but to me, i would have no problem being part of my close friend’s wedding, if this is what she wants. I don’t mind spending some money on a friend to make her dream come true - granted, i don’t have that many “close friends” but i have a few. and i truly don’t mind going out of my way to do anything to make them happy.

that’s my thinking.

how many halloween costumes do you need? and those bridesmaid dresses are always very tricky to reuse unless you cut it up and re-sew it togheter, first, i am not a fashion designer, and second, altering dresses is more expensive than buying new.

The last time I checked, Halloween comes along every year. There are also charities that accept old bridesmaid’s dresses and prom dresses to give them to HS students who cannot afford to buy prom dresses.

First of all Halloween is not that big of a thing anywhere else other than North America, people hardly dress up for it every year.

Second of all, of course you can always donate your dress but even a “cheap” bridesmaid dress is not cheap, they are still tailor made dresses. How much does your tailor suit cost you? would you donate to a charity after wearing it once?

dont girls in asia dress like its halloween everyday?

laughed way too hard at this

In general, you will have an opportunity to wear a suit again in the future. I can’t really imagine an occassion in which you would wear a bridesmaid dress again that does not involve deep depression and possibly drinking.

Bridesmaid’s dresses cost $300 max. This one is only $178. Are you telling me you couldn’t get this dress cut down for $50 and get great future use out of it?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/adrianna-papell-lace-yoke-drape-gown/3971388?origin=category-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=Ink&resultback=3442

Obviously, if the bride insists on something horrendous looking, you’re screwed. I’ve been in 9 or 10 weddings in my life though (not including my own) and the bridesmaids’ dresses were quite nice in all but 2 or 3. In comparison, I paid $100 each time for a tux and had to return it the next day.

Unfortunately most brides have a very particular theme, it’s not as easy as going to the store and picking something appropriate.

A couple times the bride has arranged a tailor already so the dresses are tailored made so they are more expensive.

And i am not sure what you mean by “cut down”, if you mean just trimming the length of the skirt well, you can probably do it for cheap or free if you can go back to the same tailor. But major alterations would cost a lot more!

if you rent a tux that’s a different story…

If you’re over 25 and still rent a tux, we need to talk.

It’s been many years since I’ve been in a wedding, but your tux has to match all the other groomsmen or the bride freaks out.

Yes, by cut down I mean shortened to cocktail dress length. Why would you need alterations other than that?

I don’t rent a tux.

If a tux is required, then I don’t want to go.

Because most bridesmaid dresses are simply not my style… they are the brides’

Sure, but that’s not what I meant. Once your friends start getting married you need a tux a couple/few times a year, plus the 1-2 black tie events a year I find myself at. Economically it just makes sense to buy one. You can score a decent tux for under $500.

At the very least, guys need to buy their own bow tie. Clip-ons are not acceptable.

^ I have a pair of black tux pants and 2 jackets, one black one white.

Exactly how many weddings in the US where tuxedos are required for guests?

It seems like every man in this forum when it comes to wedding or a formal event, they go straight to tux, isn’t it true that tuxedo is for white tie events only?

I haven’t worn a tux once in my adult life. I just wear a nice suit that I already own and call it a day. I’ve also never been in the wedding party, so that might have something to do with it.

this thread is dead nice job