wellness thread

^You’re screwed.

Is your two hour commute due to distance or traffic? You can reasonably cover 20km (12 miles) in an hour if your in low fitness, and probably 30km (18 miles) if in good shape on your bike. Get your bike rides in during your commute. Its a better use of time. Anyway, weight is one factor, but not all factors in health. I’m guessing your suffering in other ways as well due to that commute. Spending 4 hours a day sitting in your car on top of 10 hours at your desk is pretty horrible for your health. You might as well start smoking. Also: You need to do ALOT of bike riding to increase thigh size substantially. And hard riding up mountains or time trial intensity all out efforts. I wouldn’t worry about this unless putting in 8+ hours a week at some intensity.

Interesting remark about clay. I’ve never thought about it before. Any other recommendations for oily skin?

Blah, blah, blah…I can do a 1000 now.

Change the commute as soon as you can. I was doing a 1.5hr commute when i first graduated (provided it was MetroNorth so i could at least read) but nevertheless, you waste a lot of time. Try to move closer if you can or negotiate working from home a few days a week until you do.

On a side note, i always wanted metro north to put in a gym cart. I think that would have been awesome to workout while getting your commute in.

Got heartburn?

Constipated?

Boobs hurt?

Actually a 2 hr commute will give you good CFA reading time

I hear the whole Yale thing is the best way to stay fit. There’s some Indian guy on AF who swears by it, apparently.

You gain the weight back so quickly because it’s water weight. I’ve been eating low carb for about three years, and I love it. I’m down ~30lbs from where I started; I have more energy; I enjoy my food more now; I eat 10x more vegetables than I ate previously.

I tried all the mainstream advice of low fat, whole grain, blah blah blah. However, I kept failing and tacking on the lbs. So, instead of moping around and blaming myself, I started experimenting with inverting the mainstream advice and eating high fat / low carb, and I haven’t looked back.

Yeah…I used to run 4-5 mi/day for years and endlessly put on pounds and ate hella carbs. Totally switched up my routine to cut down carbs, eat more fish, cheese, and dairy, and all metrics are improving.

Yeah, it definitely works. It’s just not sustainable for me. Atkins requires me to cut out some key components of my life - pizza, pasta, and (most importantly) alcohol.

Plus, I think it’s likely in 30-40 years we’re going to hear about some major health consequences of those that have been on it for decades. Bacon all the time is just too good to be true.

High cadence plus learning to use your gears properly will keep the muscular legs in check.

If you are getting fat because you are not cycling because you are worried about your legs becoming too muscular, then your priorities are way out of wack.

It takes some time to get used to a proper high cadence, but honestly I doubt someone riding a few hours a week averaging even 60rpm would be building huge quads unless all they do is 10% grades and full sprints. That’s just not how it works. Riding your bike leisurely for a few hours isn’t really much of a workout muscularly no matter how absurd of a gear you’re pushing.

^Emichan’s a girl, right? Girls have different standards for how big they think their thighs are.

Yeah… The whole thighs thing can be tricky.

^ My point remains: Unless you’re already insanely low body fat %, no way does recreational cycling result in substantially larger thighs.

As long as you have the thigh gap it’s all good.

I don’t have one :wink:

^^I think the thigh gap is an unrealistic expectation for women.