Women

marriage is a gamble when you think about it. it always starts out noble, but the woman will use everything against you when the time comes to split the money or kids no matter how irrational or “joking” you were. so why shouldnt the man?

Not if you want to marry a man who is both reasonably intelligent and reasonably well off.

^ Exactly…

You should put it on your t-shirt

There is no incentive for a successful and good looking man to ever get married. None.

There are 3 types of men:

1. The top 20%. They sometimes get sucked in in getting married, but most resist as long as possible. When they feel they can’t pick up as much quality as they have in the past, they tend to want to settle in to lock in value before it’s too late. But that’s never their main objective. They hope the party lasts indefinitely.

2. The bottom 50%. They’re just happy that someone decent is willing to spend the rest of their lives with them and have sex with them at least twice a year. They appreciate what they have and are too scared to lose it.

3. The 20-50% range. These people are most dangerous to a woman. They are not as attractive as the people in group 1 but have more going for them than the people in group 2. Most will cheat if they get the chance, make no mistake about it.

great comeback. or was that because you dont have any rational answer to come back with? thinking rationally is what saves guys from getting screwed. getting emotional is how things go from bad to worse

Ehh… It wasn’t a come back. Everyone is entitled to their opinion…

But it would be nice to be able recognize the guys with your kind of attitude sooner rather than later…

Anyway… I think wife is having an existential moment because apparently, some 40-year-old woman in her office dropped dead.

Naren - you are right. She said nothing about pursuing older women, or any women if I don’t dump her. Wife is a lawyer, so she will understand if I take advantage of these technicalities…

^ crazy stuff makes you question/reconsider things in your life. Or say crazy stuff of your own.

Kind of like L3 makes me question my own sanity.

I agree but there are always exceptions. My business partner is a really good looking guy (no homo) with a high income and two ivy league degrees. He’s also very outgoing and personable – so probably top 1% realistically. He married at 27 which I think is too young but his wife is gorgeous and charming so it’s a match. They seem genuinely happy so far.

But yeah, I’m opposed in general, I can’t think of many 10+ year marriages that seem really happy, and no 20+ years that I personally know of.

Simply not funny. Collect your things. Cut your losses.

In other news, I was at a rehearsal dinner where the bride gave the groom a Walther PPK with the words “'till death do us part” engraved on it. The guests were in shock and this was in Texas. The dude married the girl the next day.

Any hint of bad shit crazy should not be ignored.

Any of ya’ll guys who seem opposed to marriage plan on ever having kids? Or just wifeless/kidless forever?

10% of children born during wedlock do not share the husband’s DNA. They are having kids…

I’ve heard it’s even higher than that. Whether it’s 5% or 15% doesn’t really matter though, that is terrifying.

Acceptable to have a dna test performed after birth? Would the wife object? Grounds for divorce? I personally know of a nordic white couple that had a black baby. Yes, the biological father turned out to be black, very dominant genetically. Not immediately discovered though. Apparently, the newborn got darker as it aged. Lots of denial at first.

Actually there are a lot of incentives. But if you look at human relationships in such black/white terms it isn’t going to help no matter how accurate it is.

And your definition is flawed. If they are hoping the party lasts indefinitely snd then settle when they realize it doesn’t then they are immature/fools and hence by default not in the top 20% of men.

Not really, there are opportunistic women out there just as there are sleazeballs. Either you trust your judgement or you don’t

I think that’s instant grounds for termination of marriage. unless for some unusual circumstances

^Who says your wife has to know. The risk is worth it IMO.

When you’ve been with enough women, you start to realize that the personality really is the most important thing, as long as there is enough physical attraction that you like the idea of being with her intimately in the first place. You realize that if you jump ship, it’s going to take a looong time to find a woman who wont annoy you with incessant nagging or pointless stuff. That’s a keeper.

Most straight men intuitively know that it’s exciting to be with a very beautiful woman in the beginning, but you could be with Giselle Bunchen or Vida Guerra or Thalia or (insert your favorite attractive woman here) and eventually your eye will start looking around at other women. But it’s a lot easier not to leave if she happens to treat you well, is interesting to talk to, likes to do similar stuff for fun, and doesn’t mind if you take time for your own stuff.

The challenge with marriage is mostly that we don’t even know what we are going to be like in 5 or 10 years, not to mention 20 or 30, and we certainly don’t know what they are going to be like. So if you have a lot of stuff and you are worried that you could grow apart through no real fault on either part, but have to sacrifice half of everything you own to dissolve that, it’s just scary for guys.

Women don’t seem to be quite as scared as guys are, and seem genuinely unable to relate, and surveys seem to show that women get an extra boost of self-reported happiness simply from the fact of being married that men don’t have (this is after controlling for effects like current health and finances and stuff).