Job needed

Hi, I’ve just passed level I in June. Graduated in May 2011 with an MBA and haven’t been able to get a single interview. The job market has been very terrible lately. Want to work as Security/Investment Analyst but anything would be acceptable right now because I need a sponsorship. My website is diepmy.com, please feel free to contact me at angvung@gmail.com if you have any suggestion. Thank you Vu

good luck with that. I feel like there might be one or two other people on this site seeking a similar role and under similar circumstances.

While I can’t help you directly, I can offer some critiques. 1) Lose the countdown clock on your home page, it looks like you’re planning to off yourself if you can’t get a job. 2) Get rid of the “about me” page. Normally these things are acceptable but yours is in need of an entire overhaul, so it’s better just to delete it altogether. Plus, you already covered all the key points on the home page. Also, don’t introduce your girlfriend on your career page, or even have her in a photo. Looks ridiculous. 3) Take the phrase “mission trip” off the front page and replace it with “volunteering trips” or something like that. Less religious connotation. 4) The nature photos in the references section don’t really fit with anything, they’re distracting and detract from the feel. At least if you’re going to put in photos, use stock photos that fit the overall color scheme and texture. 5) Same goes for the contact me, what the f*ck is a landscape of Narnia doing on your contact page? I’m kidding, you seem like a nice guy. But change your photos out for business theme related stock photographs that fit your color scheme, texture and overall theme.

Also, if you have free time while job searching, use it to learn new skills like maybe flash based web programming and apply that to your page to make the graphics really sleek. A kick ass, professional looking page will definitely help you get hired, and learning new skills in the process reflects well on you and is also useful over time.

I may sign you up for some nature newsletters since you like nature so much. And dude, you’re 22? with that hair?

Don’t be a dick greengrape.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > While I can’t help you directly, I can offer some > critiques. > > 1) Lose the countdown clock on your home page, it > looks like you’re planning to off yourself if you > can’t get a job. > > 2) Get rid of the “about me” page. Normally these > things are acceptable but yours is in need of an > entire overhaul, so it’s better just to delete it > altogether. Plus, you already covered all the key > points on the home page. Also, don’t introduce > your girlfriend on your career page, or even have > her in a photo. Looks ridiculous. > > 3) Take the phrase “mission trip” off the front > page and replace it with “volunteering trips” or > something like that. Less religious connotation. > > 4) The nature photos in the references section > don’t really fit with anything, they’re > distracting and detract from the feel. At least > if you’re going to put in photos, use stock photos > that fit the overall color scheme and texture. > > 5) Same goes for the contact me, what the f*ck is > a landscape of Narnia doing on your contact page? > I’m kidding, you seem like a nice guy. But change > your photos out for business theme related stock > photographs that fit your color scheme, texture > and overall theme. I agree, make it more business-like.

Also, another point, do you have a friend that is into photography that would be willing to go shoot portraits / photos of you in an outdoor / indoor urban environment in a suite? Having a photo that wasn’t taken in your college apartment with heavy glare would be more flattering and look more polished as well. Particularly if you can find backgrounds that would meld into your webpage well.

You could also post photos from the visit to the indian tribe. That sounds kind of interesting.

This sounds more like building a Match.com profile.

maybe add a section about vietnamese food with recipes and all

Isn’t Texas a big hub for some of the major oil companies. Maybe you should look into commodities trading or project finance positions with one of these companies.

houston we have a problem

What is that count down for?

nguyenanhvu Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hi, > > I’ve just passed level I in June. Graduated in > May 2011 with an MBA and haven’t been able to get > a single interview. The job market has been very > terrible lately. > > Want to work as Security/Investment Analyst but > anything would be acceptable right now because I > need a sponsorship. > > My website is diepmy.com, please feel free to > contact me at angvung@gmail.com if you have any > suggestion. > > Thank you > > Vu Where did you get your MBA from? If it isn’t a Top 10, that’s your problem.

My first piece of advice would be this: When you ask for help with anything - job search, project at work, moving apartments - make it EXTREMELY EASY for the people you ask to help you. Be organized. Make your questions or needs very clear. And don’t demand that their help come to you in a certain form (i.e. posting your request in an online forum and then instructing people to e-mail you). Your first post (HERE’S MY WEBSITE I CAN’T GET A JOB SOMEONE PLEASE FIX IT) isn’t what I’d call a top-tier effort. Try writing a second post that gives us more to work with.

I like your fav quote. its my fav quote too: “Live each day as you last and then some day you’ll be right; I will skydive soon”

^LOL

Both his undergrad and MBA came from low-tier schools. Definitely part of the problem. You picked the wrong time to go to poor schools. Even top tier grads are having a hard time. And btw, there’s no way you can “get the CFA” in 2013, since you have no work experience at all.

Thanks for your comments. I’ll take all those into consideration. About the hair, there is not much I can do about that haha. I have applied for almost 500 positions but still no interview. It’s very difficult for international students to find job, especially in this economy. I know some of you are already working in the industry so I’m hoping can get some contact infos.